Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 5:05am

Style: wrestling/BIFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "another thing, i know UFC is not Ultimate proof of a styles worth but if you can show me a better test available on such a large scale id love to see it, what i mean is, fighters find bjj good enoguh to train in they find boxing and muay thai good enough to win with and they all cross train in wrestling, but when do we see wing chun cross trained fighters winning NHB comps,"
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ME (bigfatbrute)

AMP:
    "That's a fair question. I don't know if there is a better competitive test. I personally think that most people who "cross-train" in WC don't spend enough time learning the system. Despite being known for producing fighters quickly, I think that on the upper levels WC takes a long time to truely understand. Basically I think it comes down to athletes getting more applicable skills in a shorter time elsewhere. That's just my not-so-good guess. It's a tough question."
    (AMP'S reply to my question)

Bigfatbrute(me)
    well then would it be fair to say that if one wants to learn to fight using wing chun its going to teach them skills that are not as applicable as other styles, and will take longer to learn.
    thats the conclusion i draw from what you just said,

but that is my interperation keep in mind

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 5:51am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bigfatbrute
    kungfools
    please tell me where you find all your photos, i keep looking but i only find ones of ashida kim with a cows pelvis on his head and stuff like that, where do you find all this gold.
    can you post some links please!
    It's fairly simple really, just use google/images- and type in the subject matter, wing chun in this case.

http://images.google.com/images?q=wi...-8&sa=N&tab=wi

And the images concerning wing chun should pop up, then it's a matter of searching the sites shown.
    Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 6:51am

Style: wrestling/BIFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks a lot

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 12:19pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, not knowing does make me wonder, but I also wonder why finding out can be difficult. There are no secrets anymore. Its almost 2004 for christs sake. I WILL go see Amp sometime and see what he has, but don't expect me to be putting on a production. I am anything but an authority on MMA or any of the styles represented, but at least damn near anyone can get a very good idea of what it is. I've been wary of Wing Chun because *here goes...* the hit or miss nature of the schools. I could end up with a very good place under my nose (go fig) or some place where they do not spar and the Sifu is a headcase. Imagine how dumb I feel If I've basically been driving past a good one for years totally unaware. ADVERTISE DAMMIT!

And Amp, this is probably the BJJ in me talking here, but you claim to know the ground but won't roll - I'd have to get you down first. That seems to be a bit of a copout, or just a result of how you trained. My takedowns suck BTW. Good ole BJJ... any wrestling or Judo schools in Raleigh? And where the hell could we meet anyway? And is anyone else near Raleigh?
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Nihilanthic
    And Amp, this is probably the BJJ in me talking here, but you claim to know the ground but won't roll - I'd have to get you down first. That seems to be a bit of a copout, or just a result of how you trained. My takedowns suck BTW. Good ole BJJ... any wrestling or Judo schools in Raleigh? And where the hell could we meet anyway? And is anyone else near Raleigh?
    I have never "claimed to know the ground". I mentioned that my WC school does train ground techniques...the VAST majority of which I have yet to learn.

I'm far from an expert on ground fighting, though I have spent some time on the ground training with wrestlers. I don't much like it. But I'm not bad. My preference is to train standing on my feet though, and that's where I put 90% of my attention. When I do go to the ground, 50% of me is trying to hurt you and 50% of me is trying to get the **** up. That's just my style of fighting. I can hurt you more standing up than I can on the ground. I know the way I fight, and I know what I can and can't do. For me I know that works best.

We should meet near North Raleigh at a Park on Green Rd. There is a soccer field and plenty of space.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/28/2003 12:58am

Style: Tang Soo Do, Sub. Wrest.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I had the pleasure of sparring a Moy Yat Ving Tsun instructor while at college. I wasn't even a black belt in my striking style yet, but I had started studying grappling and ground techniques. I let him set the contact level (though he kept going harder and then complaining when I'd come back harder). We sparred for a good 30 minutes before he realized that as a taller guy with longer arms that I was in a serious advantage at long range. In fact, it was one of the few times i've ever tried spinning kicks in sparring. Definitely the only time I've ever landed a spinning heel in a fight. Then, when we went to the ground he fought like a raccoon with his hand in a trap. I actually pulled off an armbar with him standing and me hanging on his arm. I'm really not that competent of a grappler. Later, he came in to short range because he realized that his chain punching was going to work better, there. I circled, at first, thinking that it would be enough to at least feel out his attack. This turned out to be enough to keep him at bay. When he got close, i'd clinch or go for a takedown. It was fun. He got a few punches in and I'll be honest I didn't enjoy getting punched as he had a pretty solid punch and pretty good balance. Overall, I enjoyed it immensely, but I didn't return to his class. Though he challenged me and we sparred, I wasn't so sure I was interested in studying another striking art. However, if used properly... i can see Ving Tsun (of some type) being somewhat effective at the proper ranges.

Anyways, that's just my random ramblings on the subject.

Peace,
    J

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/28/2003 1:39pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sounds like he just needs to round off his training and sparring experience, jearne.

And Amp, you mean "Get off the ground at all costs" type stuff right? You sound like Chuck Liddel. I'll come spar sometime, but not while I'm carring some holiday weight and out of shape so bad. When I get back in shape a little I'll come see what you got to teach.
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/28/2003 8:33pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just let me know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/13/2004 6:00pm

Style: Jeet Kune Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    JKD is where its at foos. :cool:

Posted On:
    6/22/2005 2:52pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Gracie JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well here's a site that's getting me upset calling us fakes.

www.mcdojo.com
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast