Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:00pm

Style: wrestling/BIFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Amp your in the states right,
    if you were in australia id love to have a roll with you i havent done much bjj, or submision buti been wrestling for five years, do u know of a any Wing chun schools in australia that can add to my ground game, most of the WC guys i know complement there WC with boxing, and they come to me to wrestl and learn some takedowns, is the chain punch any good for knocking people the F@#k out from what i can see from the photo kungfools posted it looked like rubish, no offence but it did,
    another thing, i know UFC is not Ultimate proof of a styles worth but if you can show me a better test available on such a large scale id love to see it, what i mean is, fighters find bjj good enoguh to train in m they find boxing, muay thai good enough to win with and they all cross train in wrestling, but when do we see wing chun cross trained fighters winning NHB comps,
    thoughts greatly apreciated
    Last edited by bigfatbrute; 12/26/2003 11:03pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:01pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nil:

Here's a crazy idea.

You want to see wing chun? Go fight a wing chun guy.

As you said, unless WC proves itself in competition, people will overlook it. I think that's just great. You admitted that you have no idea what it is...yet you know what MT is and what BJJ is. I think that's just great. You'd know what to expect if you had to fight a MT guy or a BJJ guy, but you wouldn't have a clue if you were fighting a WC guy. Doesn't that bother you a little? That's kind of a point to wing chun.

You say that NOBODY agrees on what WC is. That might be true since it is different things to different people. I use my wing chun different than someone who is 5'7'', 150 lbs uses their wing chun. That's what happens when you base a style on principles...people interpret them differently.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Traditional MAs that you can't see on TV people overlook for just that reason. Its not a good thing, but what can you do? We ALL agree what MT is and what BJJ is. NOBODY agrees on what WC is or is not, hence why you got pissed off at me." (Nihilantic)

I believe that (people don't know what the hell is wing chun) is one of the main reasons potential fighters do not practice wing chun, as I stated previously. It is not as well known as MT, and it does not have the same reputation for efficiency.

Wing chun is pretty straightforward, as far as my sifu teaches it. But many lineages made it all into a damn philosophical/money making mess, which doesn't help attracting potential students.

"I seriously think someone needs to get off their duff and compete in something. MMA could allow WC techniques except for the eye pokes, grapple gloves aren't that big. And valetudo is rather permissive." (Nihilantic)

I agree with you, but I refer to my previous post. As far as I know, people who practice wing chun are not professionals, but average joes who want to learn how to defend themselves. Therefore, it won't be easy to find someone who fits the vale tudo bill.

"We're all curious about the real deal. All we've seen are pathetic slap demos and lineage wars. Parries obviously work, so how different could a trap be? We'd all love to see if it works and if it could be incorporated into what we do." (Nihilantic)

The real deal is striking. Period. Chain punching is an excellent technique for emergencies at close quarter, and trapping is useful, but, to put it bluntly, in one year and a half of wing chun I mostly learned: (a) low kicks aimed at knees or groin, (b) punches to the nose, mouth, and throat, (c) some serious elbow strikes, (d) sensitivity in my arms (to parry and trap), (e) simultaneous parrying/attacking techniques and (f) balance, to make all of the above work.

In my opinion, that is a lot for one year and a half. This is certainly not all of wing chun, but I hope this gives you some idea of what to expect from a wing chun class. My teacher trains us mostly by endless repetition, while correcting our mistakes: it does take a lot of patience from both parts.

All of it works, I assure you, as I have used most of those techniques while sparring with some friends of mine who practice jujutsu. As stated above, I advise you to accept Amp's offer and see for yourself. You will probably find something to incorporate into what you do.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:19pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bigfatbrute
    [B]Amp your in the states right,
    if you were in australia id love to have a roll with you i havent done much bjj, or submision buti been wrestling for five years, do u know of a any Wing chun schools in australia that can add to my ground game
    I would never recommend WC to add to your ground game. WC has grappling techniques but don't get me wrong, a WC fighter does not want to be on the ground. If you're a wrestler than I'm sure your ground game is tight. As I understand it, for a WC fighter, the ground is not someplace you stay for very long. We train it because fights go there...but it's not where we prefer to be. And we certainly don't devote the time to the ground like a wrester or BJJ person would.

, most of the WC guys i know complement there WC with boxing
    Boxing is great. But boxing punches are very different from many WC punches. I would think that other aspects of fighting rather than striking would be where I would look to complement my WC.

is the chain punch any good for knocking people the F@#k out from what i can see from the photo kungfools posted it looked like rubish, no offence but it did,
    Damn near every wing chun punch should be a chain punch...meaning that as one hand is striking, the next hand is getting ready to strike. A good striker doesn't need the second or third punch to knock a person out. Other times they land as the opponent is on the way down...more than anything you chain your punches together to cover yourself as you attack.

another thing, i know UFC is not Ultimate proof of a styles worth but if you can show me a better test available on such a large scale id love to see it, what i mean is, fighters find bjj good enoguh to train in m they find boxing muay thai good enough to win with and they all cross train in wrestling, but when do we see wing chun cross trained fighters winning NHB comps,
    That's a fair question. I don't know if there is a better competitive test. I personally think that most people who "cross-train" in WC don't spend enough time learning the system. Despite being known for producing fighters quickly, I think that on the upper levels WC takes a long time to truely understand. Basically I think it comes down to athletes getting more applicable skills in a shorter time elsewhere. That's just my not-so-good guess. It's a tough question.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:21pm

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude. WC is just too brutal for any grappler to deal with, especially if he uses "grapple-away" repellant, available in the 4, 8, and 16oz cans.
    It has the fresh scent of females but won't stop all grapplers (some of them LIKE that smell)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 1:46am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    are you implying grapplers are gay,
    we may spend all our time rubing our hot sweaty muscled hairy chisled smooth MANLY bodies all over eachother halfnaked and grunting for hours on end,
    but dude we are so totaly not gay.

nuthin' ta f*ck with

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 3:20am

supporting member
     Style: MT/SUB GRAPPLING

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 4:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Amp
    KFSS- As usual you provide evidence that you don't know ****.
    I don't know, it's probably because when I see an item such as this, I tend to have my doubts ->

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

I restore the Balance

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 4:34am

Join us... or die
     Style: I wear pants

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes folks, that appears to be a book of sorts the students are using to "shield" themselves from the super deadly wing chun one inch strike...:rolleyes:

Kungfoolss, Scourge of the theory-based stylists, Most Feared man at Bullshido.com, and the Preeminent Force in the martial arts political arena

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/27/2003 4:49am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kungfools
    please tell me where you find all your photos, i keep looking but i only find ones of ashida kim with a cows pelvis on his head and stuff like that, where do you find all this gold.
    can you post some links please!
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 91011 LastLast