Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 9:21am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bigfatbrute
    mm but the question i asked was wy if it is so effective does no one see wing chun trained NHB fighters ripping it up in the octagon
    There are 1000 different threads on this topic. The point simply is winning a UFC is not the litmus test of an arts effectiveness.

Wing Chun Lawyer...I pm'd you.
    Last edited by Southpaw; 12/26/2003 9:32am at .

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 10:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, the UFC is not the end all of tests, but MMA in general IS a good way to have SOME KIND OF PROOF.

I'm a skeptic. That will never change. I need to see and feel, I don't believe and I can't just take someone's word on it.

Therefore I'm going to see sometime :p
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 10:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And as I've said. I live near you and I'd be more than happy to help you see and feel whenever you would like. Just let me know.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 11:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't want a damn grudge match dude, lol.

If anything I just want to have a roll and let me see what it is. But thanks. This could be an eye-opener to more than me, actually. I'm sure the site could benefit a lot from this.

I'll PM in a while. I don't wanna go about doing a damn thing while I still have pie and I'd like to get back into training a bit. But, I'll take that offer. I'd love to find out what there is to learn.

Where are you, anyway?
    Last edited by Nihilanthic; 12/26/2003 11:24am at .
    Katana, on 540 kicks: "Hang from a ceiling fan with both hands. Flail your feet out and ask people to walk into you as you hit their face."

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 12:11pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not talking about a grudge match. But I can give you a rudimentary demonstration of Wing chun techniques and principles.

As far as having "a roll", I stay off the ground as much as possible, but if you get me there, I'll be happy to show you.

I live up in Creedmore, about 15 miles N. of Raleigh.

Modesty forbids more.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 12:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai, BJJ newbie.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by bigfatbrute
    mm but the question i asked was wy if it is so effective does no one see wing chun trained NHB fighters ripping it up in the octagon
    As Amp already said, there are about a thousand threads on this topic. In my opinion, I believe those who want to train to be professional fighters simply are not interested in wing chun, or at least they are not interested in training wing chun as their primary style.

In my school, all the students are average joes who just want to acquire reliable techniques for self defense. We are, quite simply, not professionals. This seems to be the norm in all wing chun schools in Brazil.

I suppose you could compare this situation to, say, krav maga. People interested in wing chun are generally not interested in fighting, but in self defense, and so (obviously) they are not as good as the professionals.

This doesn't mean wing chun techniques are not effective, of course. They are. You don't have to take my word for it: find a good wing chun school and check it out personally.

Just my two cents.
    That civilisation may not sink,
    Its great battle lost,
    Quiet the dog, tether the pony
    To a distant post;
    Our master Caesar is in the tent
    Where the maps are spread,
    His eyes fixed upon nothing,
    A hand under his head.

- W.B. Yeats

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 5:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wastrel's indignation is wholly righteous, while Amp continues to make no sense. "Oh yeah, I agree entirely. Lineage wars are total bullshit, which is why my Sifu's Sigung's instructor's gas station attendant's uncle was Yip Man who taught secret groundfighting techniques that are never mentioned or used or shown or practiced but still exist and are of nothing but the highest quality I assure you in spite of the fact that they were apparently "forgotten" up until now which I guess may or may not appear suspicious in light of the fact that genuibnely "complete" systems such as Japanese jiu-Jitsu have not really had any problems with "forgetting" entire ranges of combat but Yip Man taught them according to teacher which therefore makes in correct."

Damn Wing Chun and its "lost" techniques.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 5:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should bring a camera or some **** when I go see Amp. Too bad I don't have one.

Thats the nice thing about the internet. Proof can circulate as well as ideas.

Anyone want a Raleigh McBeatdown?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 9:30pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boyd what the **** are you talking about?

Damn Wing Chun and its "lost" techniques.
    You are the biggest Wing Chun dickrider in the world. You claim to hate it, yet you are constantly
    talking about it. Like a closet romo.

Nobody's talking about any lost techniques. Different lineages pass down different things. It's a simple fact that makes for interesting discussions.

Now stop flirting with it and go take wing chun. You know you want to.

Decafinated white belt.

Posted On:
    12/26/2003 10:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll avoid all the obvious ass trapping jokes here and just state something...

We're all curious about the real deal. All we've seen are pathetic slap demos and lineage wars. Parries obviously work, so how different could a trap be? We'd all love to see if it works and if it could be incorporated into what we do.

MMA mentality doesn't mean you just do BJJ and MT. It means you expose yourself to things, train what works, train using effective methods, and keep up with conditioning.

The thing is though, MT and BJJ are pretty straightforwards, and do what they say they're gonna do. No, not make you UNSTOPPABLE or other BS, but you learn to strike and clinch, or learn to groundfight. And thats all you do. No BS no forms no cultural or philosophical baggage. You generally know what you're getting into ahead of time. And you can see the results on TV.

Traditional MAs that you can't see on TV people overlook for just that reason. Its not a good thing, but what can you do? We ALL agree what MT is and what BJJ is. NOBODY agrees on what WC is or is not, hence why you got pissed off at me.

I seriously think someone needs to get off their duff and compete in something. MMA could allow WC techniques except for the eye pokes, grapple gloves aren't that big. And valetudo is rather permissive.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast