Style
    Xingyiquan
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Texas N00b Introduction

Hi everyone!

I live in San Antonio, TX and as the title implies I'm a n00b here. I'm majoring in Mad Science and look to be graduating when the sun implodes. My hobbies are slacking, lurking the interwebs, watching anime and reading manga (I like some for the plot, others the fanservice, and no I'm not a Narutard), reading sci-fi and philosophy, and martial arts.

As far as martial arts background goes my first exposure to them was in Tae kwon do. The school I went to was taught by this guy named Troy Dorsey, who was also a world lightweight champion of kickboxing. I'm not sure as to the actual credibility of Mr. Dorsey but it seemed good enough for me to work my way up to 1st degree black belt over the course of 6 years (I started when I was six and got my BB when I was about 11 or 12). It was also taught with an emphasis on self defense applications and not towards competitions. They also did full-contact sparring and not point sparring.

Then I moved to San Antonio where I was reluctant to enroll in any new TKD schools because they all seemed like McDojos and were geared towards Tournaments (so many relaxed wrists and flopping feet that would have been broken had they actually been used in a fight). I started getting interested in CMA and would like to learn the Neijia schools starting preferably with Xingyiquan. Unfortunately the only school in the city that offers to teach it is a Shaolin-Do school (Which I've read and heard horrible things about). While I'm checking them out, I've bought the first Winglam Xingyiquan Basics dvd and have been practicing/mimicing off of that. I've also enrolled in Chen Taichichuan classes at my school, so I'll be checking that out as well.

Sorry for the long post.

TL;DR version: I'm from Texas and I want to learn Xingyiquan.

Oh yes, and if anyone was wondering what the SA Shaolin-Do website was it's http://www.southtexaskungfu.com

Edit 2: I'm only seeing if they might offer private xingyi lessons. I've seen their "Shaolin" and "Taichi" class and I'm not interested in waiting until black belt to practice.

Edit 3: After some reading around and reading all the TKD hate I reworded the sentence about self defense.

Edit 4: Found a wiki entry on Troy Dorsey. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_Dorsey . Turns out it's not pure TKD but a TKD-Karate mix. =/ In any case, I'm looking to start learning a real martial art.
    Last edited by SouthernDragon; 12/24/2008 10:01am at .

TKDBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, SouthernDragon! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.