Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:51pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    Things have changed, old man.

Jk, though. After talking with my recruiter, and a friend of mine who just got done with basic, as well as online research, i figured out exactly what i need to do.

I also just want to get a sexier body, for t3h ladies, and have some strength transfer over to jiu jitsu.

This pyramid business you've been talking about, how many should i do starting off? Could you explain in detail a little more?

And as for running, how should i start off? I don't enjoy running, but i should probably get to it.

I plan to leave in october or so, for basic. I'd like to be able to do all of this easily by then, so I'm ready for any zingers the Air Force tries to throw me :p.
    If you're looking to be "hard," Air Force PT is NOT going to get you there, so you're going to be doing a lot of work in your spare time. I'm telling you that right now.

A pyramid is a pyramid. You do a few reps, and then a short rest. You add to those reps, and a short rest. You keep adding reps, until you reach your goal amount for the exercise and then you work your way back down again. You take a short rest in between each set of push-ups. And by short rest I mean between 15-30 seconds. For example:

5-rest
    7-rest
    10-rest
    15-rest
    20-rest
    30-rest
    20-rest
    15-rest
    10-rest
    7-rest
    5-rest

As for how many, that's for you to decide. I don't know you and I don't know what you can handle. I'm going to tell you, this is going to tire you out the first time you try it. (If you do it right).

If you want to make this a little more difficult. Cut the size of the pyramid, but add in different hand positions. Hands close (Diamond), hands shoulder width w/fingers pointing forward (elbows will pass along your sides), and hands wide. Example:

5close-rest
    5middle-rest
    5wide-rest
    7close-rest
    7middle-rest
    7wide-rest
    10close-rest
    10middle-rest
    10wide-rest
    7close-rest
    7middle-rest
    7wide-rest
    5close-rest
    5middle-rest
    5wide-rest

If you want to get high-speed, add bag drills on top of this. Speed bag, heavy bag, tea-bag...I mean. *cough* Instead of resting do 30sec. bag drills in between sets. You can also alternate with a 30 - 45lb dumbbell. Grab it by one side and hold it straight above your head. Then bring it behind your head and press it back up again. You can pyramid those as well. **CAUTION** DO NO HIT YOURSELF IN THE HEAD WITH THE WEIGHT

EDIT::::

Push-ups must be done correctly or they will not work. You're going to hear this phrase used all over your Air Force career...and believe me, I'm laughing at you already. "Front Leaning Rest Position."

Last edited by AlphaFoxtrot51; 11/27/2008 10:54pm at .
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:52pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do 3 miles in about 17 and half minutes, and was never a track guy. And I was always hovering at my maximum weight limit. Just pace yourself. It's not that hard.

I thought AF PT consisted of;
    1. Drinking a large cappuchino in under 30 minutes
    2. Adjusting the air conditioner controls
    3. bullshitting in a group, and then solo via e-mail.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:54pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "WarHawk?" "Thunderbolt?" The Air Force can be so cute sometimes.:pancakebu

Seriously, though, try not to just train to the test or you will end up hitting a plateau early in the process. For the run, try to always run farther in training than you need to for the test. Intervals (walk/run and run/sprint) will help you develop speed while runs of three miles or more will help with endurance. One and a half miles is a pathetically short distance for a workout (I rarely run less than four), so try running the distance two or three times with short breaks in between.

For sit ups, do a variety of ab exercises including planks for stability. Every once in a while do a set according to the regulations for the test just to check your progress, but you will find that it is not the best exercise in and of itself for ab strength.

Pushups: pyramid sets are the way to go. Also use freeweights (not machines!) for cross training your chest and shoulder muscles. I seem to make some progress by doing sets of pushups at the end of a workout, when my muscles are already tired.

For pullups, do pullups! The lat pulldown machine at the gym should provide no temptation. If you can't do more than two or three, use a couple of resistance bands to effectively reduce your body weight. Once you can do five or six, try doing pyramids. At the end of each pullup workout do a few negative sets as well. Stand on a box or a bench so that you can start from the up position and lower yourself for a ten count. Wait a few seconds and repeat. Also, make sure you use an overhand grip (palms facing away from you). It will be harder at first, but you will find that you increase your repetitions faster than you would using an underhand grip as you are recruiting more of your back into the workout. It also makes it easier to do a dead-hang at the bottom of each rep. Bent elbows don't count. +rep if you beat my personal best.*

I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:57pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Cheddar
    I used to do 3 miles in about 17 and half minutes, and was never a track guy. And I was always hovering at my maximum weight limit. Just pace yourself. It's not that hard.

I thought AF PT consisted of;
    1. Drinking a large cappuchino in under 30 minutes
    2. Adjusting the air conditioner controls
    3. bullshitting in a group, and then solo via e-mail.
    You know what they say, Air Force: Serving the country between the hours of 9-5, weekends and holidays off!

But yeah, i'm actually going into the Security Forces, so hopefully i'm a little manlier then those computer tech nerds.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:01pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For your running, use resistance training to increase your endurance at first.
    If you can run in a higher altitude, uphill, with say a backpack full of something weighty, when you need to run on the tack, it will appear easier.

Like Foxtrot said, you need to suck it up, even when you want to stop. Use markers. At first figure out a distance and what you pace will need to be to get you there. Then run it.

If you want to stop....don't. If you NEED to stop, force yourself to run a little more then you can, say another block or another lap, then stop.

And remind youself, tomorrow, I can't stop anytime BEFORE this spot. And force yourself to stick to it. When you get that that spot, force yourself to run further then that spot. Pretty soon you will be finishing and finishing in the time you need. If your high school has Cross Country or track runners, run with them.

Hell, sign up for track in the spring just to get your running form in shape.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:02pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Cheddar
    <Flips Jack the bird>

My fastest ever was 19:30. I always made up for it by maxing out the pullups and situps.

Some of us just aren't built for speed.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm1775
    <Flips Jack the bird>

My fastest ever was 19:30. I always made up for it by maxing out the pullups and situps.

Some of us just aren't built for speed.
    When you're scared out of your mind, you can break world records. LoL
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:20pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    But yeah, i'm actually going into the Security Forces, so hopefully i'm a little manlier then those computer tech nerds.
    If you can get on a Raven team, you'll get to do cool stuff. Otherwise, the only manly guys in the Air Force are the TACPs, PJs, CCTs, etc . . .
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    If you can get on a Raven team, you'll get to do cool stuff. Otherwise, the only manly guys in the Air Force are the TACPs, PJs, CCTs, etc . . .
    You want to be PJ!! I'm being dead serious, you want to be a PJ.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:27pm

Style: Monkey-See-Monkey-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PJs and CCTs are studly in any branch, and very, very well trained. If you want to be a PJ, start swimming laps.
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast