United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 6:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Getting in shape for Air Force PFTs...

Hey, guys, I've decided to join the Air Force.

Now, in Basic, if you qualify as a WarHawk, on your fitness exam, its generally good. Its the highest score you can get, you get more time in the city, and a fancy ribbon. Its scientifically proven that awesomeness and ribbons go hand in hand.

Anyhow, I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 8 minutes, able to do 75 pushups in a minute, 80 sit ups in a minute, and 10 pull ups.

Information found here: http://www.military.com/military-fit...g-fitness-test

Now, this is where i turn to you guys for help. I know pretty much nothing about working out, or building muscle mass, or anything like that. I figure you guys do, and if i were to ask politely enough, you would help me.

What should i do to get in shape for this? I can do about 60 sit ups in a minute, and 30 pushups. My pullups top out a resounding 2, and as far as running goes, i do not know, i try not to do it.

I was thinking i'd just start doing more pushups/pull ups/sit-ups, and start jogging when it gets warmer (the spring/summer). Is this going to be enough?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 7:37pm

Style: Sambo n3wb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1

Now, in Basic, if you qualify as a WarHawk, on your fitness exam, its generally good. Its the highest score you can get, you get more time in the city, and a fancy ribbon. Its scientifically proven that awesomeness and ribbons go hand in hand.

Anyhow, I have to be able to run 1.5 miles in under 8 minutes, able to do 75 pushups in a minute, 80 sit ups in a minute, and 10 pull ups.

Now, this is where i turn to you guys for help. I know pretty much nothing about working out, or building muscle mass, or anything like that. I figure you guys do, and if i were to ask politely enough, you would help me.

What should i do to get in shape for this? I can do about 60 sit ups in a minute, and 30 pushups. My pullups top out a resounding 2, and as far as running goes, i do not know, i try not to do it.

I was thinking i'd just start doing more pushups/pull ups/sit-ups, and start jogging when it gets warmer (the spring/summer). Is this going to be enough?
    Ok, let's do this:

You don't want to build muscle mass, it will make you slower. Besides, if you can't run 1.5 miles in 8 minutes...then there's a problem.

You really want to know how to improve? Do more push-ups, do more pull-ups, and go running. Don't practice doing 2 minutes of push-ups, do pyramid drills. Such as:

5 PUs
    -15 seconds rest
    7 PUs
    -15 seconds rest
    10 PUs
    -15 to 20 seconds
    20 PUs

etc. Make sure you come down as well. You can change the numbers. But if you really want to be serious about this, ask your recruiter about DEP PT programs of if you can attend morning PT with them.

Question, why the Air Force? What MOS are you looking for?
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 7:44pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow I've been in the AF for 6 years and I haven't heard of this Warhawk BS. To get the honor graduate ribbon it says you just need "Thunderbolt." Honor graduates are picked by the TI and it's usually for being outstanding at everything not just PT. That includes, folding your clothes and academics as well. You should probably suck his penis too. To max out the PT test in the regular AF you need a 9:36 or better on the run, 62 pushups and 55 situps.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 8:32pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51
    Besides, if you can't run 1.5 miles in 8 minutes...then there's a problem.
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you CAN run 1.5 miles in 8 minutes that is OUTSTANDING!!!! That is a very difficult time to achieve. I've been serving for 7 years and involved in fitness for 10 years and the FASTEST guys I know average around 8:30 on their runs. I've only known one or two that can do 8 minutes. It's not easy. You have to WORK to get there! and even then, most people just can't do it.

But yeah. You want to get better at those exercises...best thing to do is to do those exercises!

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 8:55pm

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    back when I did the USAF PFT the only thing I ever had problems with was the sit-ups... shitty I know but push-ups/running/etc was always cake

moose, do like AF51 says and train exactly for what you'll be tested on, the pyramids will help your body get acclimated to the tests...

oh, btw: if you flunk out of the AIR FORCE PFT, you officially suck at life
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 9:13pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003volusia
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but if you CAN run 1.5 miles in 8 minutes that is OUTSTANDING!!!! That is a very difficult time to achieve. I've been serving for 7 years and involved in fitness for 10 years and the FASTEST guys I know average around 8:30 on their runs. I've only known one or two that can do 8 minutes. It's not easy. You have to WORK to get there! and even then, most people just can't do it.

But yeah. You want to get better at those exercises...best thing to do is to do those exercises!
    1.5 miles is NOT that far, and 5:40 pace isn't that speedy. When I was on the High School track team, 5:40 wouldn't even get you into a point-scoring position. You should be able to suck it up for a mile and a half if you train and know how to pace yourself correctly.

Btw, the fastest guys I know were running the two-mile (Army PT) between 9:00 - 10:30. A kid from an opposing team, when I was in High School, blazed an 8:54 during a relay event. Just to put into perspective of what I consider "fast." Can I break that 8 minute pace? Not anymore, I haven't trained for things like that in a very long time.

From one runner to another, the biggest part of any run is heart. It's going to hurt. It's not going to feel good. And you'll know you did well when you hit the finish-line and puke, or collapse and need your friends to help you walk it off.
    :911flag: If you are lost, I will find you. If you are wounded, I will carry you. If you are pinned, I will cover you. If you are killed, I will recover and remember you. If you trespass against me, my countrymen, or my loved ones...I will kill you.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 9:46pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1

How long do you have to accomplish this goal? If you're willing to smoke yourself every day, you could probably build up to this in a few months, assuming an already decent level of fitness.

Honestly, I couldn't even do that **** right now, but we focus a lot more on battle oriented PT, sprints, longer runs, and crossfit style workouts than short distance running and speeding through pushups and situps.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 9:59pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlphaFoxtrot51
    1.5 miles is NOT that far, and 5:40 pace isn't that speedy. When I was on the High School track team, 5:40 wouldn't even get you into a point-scoring position. You should be able to suck it up for a mile and a half if you train and know how to pace yourself correctly.

Btw, the fastest guys I know were running the two-mile (Army PT) between 9:00 - 10:30. A kid from an opposing team, when I was in High School, blazed an 8:54 during a relay event. Just to put into perspective of what I consider "fast." Can I break that 8 minute pace? Not anymore, I haven't trained for things like that in a very long time.

From one runner to another, the biggest part of any run is heart. It's going to hurt. It's not going to feel good. And you'll know you did well when you hit the finish-line and puke, or collapse and need your friends to help you walk it off.
    Ah. Ok. That's kinda what I figuered is that you are/were an actual track runner. In that case...yeah...8 min is probably easy for ya! LOL

I'm not a runner per se...I RUN and, in my mind, a LOT. But I do NOT enjoy it. I do it because I let myself get up to 230lbs at one point...that will NEVER happen again. Nothing beats running for cardio and burning fat in my mind.

The fastest I have gotten on the 1.5 is low 11's. I'm DAMN proud of that. The problem I have is I just CAN'T seem to keep my motivation going during the run. I start at a nice easy pace (easy now, 3 years ago it would've killed me!) and I tell myself that I will sprint a certain portion or something like that. Then I get to the portion and I'm just like "hey, I'm doing fine, I'll sprint this portion" then it's the same thing when I get there! Then I finish up in the low to mid 11's (I have 13:45 to pass) and I"m just..."**** it.....I passed."

Ah well...maybe I'll just set a slightly faster pace next time!

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 2003volusia
    Ah. Ok. That's kinda what I figuered is that you are/were an actual track runner. In that case...yeah...8 min is probably easy for ya! LOL

I'm not a runner per se...I RUN and, in my mind, a LOT. But I do NOT enjoy it. I do it because I let myself get up to 230lbs at one point...that will NEVER happen again. Nothing beats running for cardio and burning fat in my mind.

The fastest I have gotten on the 1.5 is low 11's. I'm DAMN proud of that. The problem I have is I just CAN'T seem to keep my motivation going during the run. I start at a nice easy pace (easy now, 3 years ago it would've killed me!) and I tell myself that I will sprint a certain portion or something like that. Then I get to the portion and I'm just like "hey, I'm doing fine, I'll sprint this portion" then it's the same thing when I get there! Then I finish up in the low to mid 11's (I have 13:45 to pass) and I"m just..."**** it.....I passed."

Ah well...maybe I'll just set a slightly faster pace next time!
    If you actually time your breathing right, you can zone out and run for a while without realizing how far you've actually gone.

Christmas Tag Wishlist:

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:33pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BENXPX
    Wow I've been in the AF for 6 years and I haven't heard of this Warhawk BS. To get the honor graduate ribbon it says you just need "Thunderbolt." Honor graduates are picked by the TI and it's usually for being outstanding at everything not just PT. That includes, folding your clothes and academics as well. You should probably suck his penis too. To max out the PT test in the regular AF you need a 9:36 or better on the run, 62 pushups and 55 situps.
    Things have changed, old man.

Jk, though. After talking with my recruiter, and a friend of mine who just got done with basic, as well as online research, i figured out exactly what i need to do.

I also just want to get a sexier body, for t3h ladies, and have some strength transfer over to jiu jitsu.

This pyramid business you've been talking about, how many should i do starting off? Could you explain in detail a little more?

And as for running, how should i start off? I don't enjoy running, but i should probably get to it.

I plan to leave in october or so, for basic. I'd like to be able to do all of this easily by then, so I'm ready for any zingers the Air Force tries to throw me :p.

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey
Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast