Our Sponsors:

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 4:06pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    N.B. Although I appreciate the helpful comments, my problems with this grip are intermittent and mainly to do with getting used to the structure of the collar/lapel on the Judogi vs the SJ jacket. My biggest personal frustration with the Judo grip-fighting is the quality of grip that the gi allows on the elbow and (especially) wrist. :sad:

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Other Serge
    I have enough French to have kept my Parisian romances straight and get decent table service; but this is mostly over my head.
    Living in Paris forced the Froggish language upon me.

Quote Originally Posted by The Other Other Serge
    I've also tried using cable-pull weights but the feel is not nearly the same. There is a Shuai-Jao drill I've seen where you fold over a belt and snap it between your hands as you solo-drill a throw.
    I tried the cable machine seoinage thing... meh. We did that belt exercise in SJ class, also the weird cast concrete kettlebells and the weight-at-the-end-of-a-pole. Good stuff. :thumbsup:

Quote Originally Posted by Aging Hippie Liberal Douche
    Did you have specific solo drills in mind to work on keeping a tight grip? If so color me interested.
    We hang an old jacket from the ceiling and do pullups on it. Also, for those who can't do so many pullups, try hanging for time. One of the Judo BBs at Alliance recommends using an old belt as a handle for dumbbell exercises too.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Antiquated

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 7:14pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aging Hippie Liberal Douche
    Did you have specific solo drills in mind to work on keeping a tight grip? If so color me interested.
    Barring moar training?

Rock climbing works pretty well, especially if you aren't good at it (like me).

Also as JR said, pullups with gi, belts on weights are excellent ways to improve grip strength.

Unless you're talking about keeping a tight grip on a resisting partner (grip fighting, kumikata) then again, moar training.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 7:19pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mas
    Unless you're talking about keeping a tight grip on a resisting partner (grip fighting, kumikata) then again, moar training.
    ^^^This. I do stuff for grip strength, but I've sort of made it my goal for the next couple of months to focus on not being sloppy and loose with my gripping.

Antiquated

Posted On:
    12/05/2008 7:41pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Solo drills for gripfighting? I personally don't know of any.

Masterclass book by Neil Adams on Grips is an excellent resource for gripfighting.

If you want to spend quite a bit of money there are grip fighting dvds. They are pretty damn expensive, but I hear are top quality. PM for details.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/27/2008 5:16pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: jujutsu, krav maga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes a little bit. In uki otoshi, we spin off/pivot to the side and allow uke to fall through. In judo, it's straight back, in DZRJJ there is a pivot. Same result, different application.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2
    Judo has a drop-knee "uki otoshi," but it's the wrong side to be a drop-knee tai-otoshi.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/anima.../ukiotoshi.htm

Is DRJJ's version really opposite the Kodokan? I would be surprised and interested if so.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345