Posted On:
    11/30/2008 6:50pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Link?
    How about that Budo? You asked for a link, and Rippetoe just launched a wiki site devoted to the Starting Strength program!

Just not long ago there was only the link to the Starting Strength book (http://aasgaardco.com/tacpr/) and Rippetoe's forum (http://strengthmill.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36). But now, it's that wiki page as well as a blog (http://www.startingstrength.net).

You can find information on the beginning SS program at either of the following:

http://www.startingstrength.net/workouts/

and a better link:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wi...rting_Strength

The later link is at the new wiki site, which contains instructional/guideline videos for all exercises, including the power clean (which are a must-see.)

.ps.

Since we are touching on oly lifts, there is a product that I'm buying next week from the ironmind's website, "Olympic-Style W/L Beginners/Intermediate Lifters" DVD:

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...sp?number=1204

Although this product is not related to this thread, it (or a similar product) might be beneficial to anyone interested in the SS program or oly lifts for strength/power in general.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:31pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, MT, boxing, poverty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Dispenser
    Google Stronglifts 5x5 and do the workout program while eating lots.
    awesome thanks. I'm on it.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 12:37am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I searched through the forums, but I couldn't really find anything regarding to this topic, so I'll just ask it here...

I've been looking through the whole Stronglifts 5x5 training program, and I've actually been working out for about 2 years now... Not too big or anything (aiming to get bigger), but some of the weights they say to start out with seem a little light... They then state if this is the case, take 30% of your max 5 rep set, and use that as the starting point... but some of these things, I'm unsure how to classify the weights as "max..." I was also wondering if you could substitute some exercises for others; for example, instead of squats, do leg presses (on the machine).

An American Hero!

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 1:25am

Business Class Supporting Membersupporting member
     TryKickboxingNow.com - Free Internet Marketing for Kickboxing Programs! Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could substitute exercises but then you wouldn't really be doing the program. There is a reason squats are there and not leg presses. Leg press works the quads and glutes, squat works your entire body.

If the weight seems light, it's probably because it is "ramping the weight", starting at a light weight and making it heavier throughout a cycle to a peak, then you start low again and do it all over. You can't and shouldn't be lifting to failure or maxing out every time.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 8:33am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi General, did you read the sticky thread? please make sure you read thoroughly this back and forth:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMcNugget
    I searched through the forums, but I couldn't really find anything regarding to this topic, so I'll just ask it here...

I've been looking through the whole Stronglifts 5x5 training program, and I've actually been working out for about 2 years now... Not too big or anything (aiming to get bigger), but some of the weights they say to start out with seem a little light... They then state if this is the case, take 30% of your max 5 rep set, and use that as the starting point... but some of these things, I'm unsure how to classify the weights as "max..."
    The Stronglifts 5x5 program website does answer some of your questions, so I'm not sure how come you didn't find them:

For example, regarding substituting squats with leg presses as well as weights seeming to be too light:
    http://stronglifts.com/forum/strongl...5.html#p214863

Regarding how to choose your starting weight (choose 30% off your max and then increase accordingly):

http://stronglifts.com/forum/strongl...3.html#p214187

Also, the front page has an explanation of why the 5x5 method works, followed by listing all the other trainers who have successful implemented this method for years (Reg Park, Bradley Steiner, John McCallum, Brooks Kubik, J.V. Askem, Bill Starr, Glenn Pendlay, Pavel Tsatsouline). For an actual description of why using a 5-rep range, take a look at the table presented in this link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strengt...training_goals

Regarding your question of what a max constitutes, well, it's a max. A max (or rep maximum/RM) as in the maximum that you can lift without assistance with acceptable form for a given number of reps just before reaching failure. For example, 1RM means the maximum you can lift with one rep, 5 RM (the target in 5x5) as the maximum you can handle for 5 reps and so on.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_rep_maximum

Also, if you know how much you can lift for 8-10 reps for a given free weight exercise, you can start calculating how much you can lift for 5 reps for that same exercise:

http://www.runningdeersoftware.com/p...lc-1repmax.htm

If you find the prescribed weights "too light" just increase them until you find a weight you can use. Or as GiJoe said, if you find the starting weight too light, it's because it's the ramping up phase. It's up to you to ramp it up accordingly. The program cannot do that for you because you are unique, with your own sets of strengths and weaknesses. So the program provides you with a methodology from where to start and ramp it up according to your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralMcNugget
    I was also wondering if you could substitute some exercises for others; for example, instead of squats, do leg presses (on the machine).
    No. No. No. And No. The stronglifts website is very specific why you shouldn't do this, and it's explained in detail in their forums. So no.

Unless you have a physical condition that precludes you to do one of the free-weight, barbell exercises prescribed in any form of 5x5, SS or WSB program, do not substitute it with a machine variant. A leg press is an excellent option for building (and maintaining) a humongous leg size... but you need to have that first. No professional bodybuilder or figure/fitness competitor has built respectable legs (or overall physique) without some form of squats.

At the end of the day, you simply have to try it and stick to it for several months, tweaking and adjusting according to your unique strengths and weaknesses without deviating from the prescribed exercises. If you do a research on the training methods of those in strength sports - powerlifting, strongman, (olympic) weight lifting - you'll find that their training methods and all variants of 5x5s have a lot in common.

Don't fall into a paralysis by analysis. Take this program or any program and do it consistently and without deviations. That's the only way to know if it works or not.

Given that those methods work (otherwise, there wouldn't exist any practitioners of those sports), then it can be safely assumed that you'd have a high probability of success if you also follow the same methods to the best of your abilities, consistently and for a sufficiently long period of time to see the results.

Training, be it for size and/or strength is a years-long process. Two years should have provided you a strength baseline (provided you have been training correctly and with a consistent method.) If you have never done a low-rep strength training method and if you have never included heavy back squats at least once a week, unless you have some sort of sports background already, you are cutting your potential short.

Give it a try and stick to it for at least 3 months, eat like an animal and sleep well. And you'll see the benefits. Good luck.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 3:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah... wow... thanks man, that's really helpful. Just kinda curious on what you guys mean by "ramping up." And I tried the first workout today, and I like it so far... everything here is a new workout, so I somewhat feel it already, it just feels a little easy. I just get kind of worried about doing squats, and it just seeming sad that I'm squatting just the bar lmao

And as for the whole eating thing... I live on a college campus, and they aren't really well known for the healthiest foods, so I'm always so unsure on what to eat... and I'm not exactly the one to be spending a lot, especially as a student, so I don't know what I should be getting/eating...

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 3:40am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started off squatting just the bar 6 months ago. I squat 140kg (308lbs) this week. The weight adds up.

Put aside any shame you have. Put aside any comparisons with other gym members you have. This is not about lifting more weight that some dude, so **** them if they see you lifting just the bar and take the piss, this is about lifting iron for your sake and no one else's.

If you want to gain weight whilst lifting, and you want to gain a lot (muscle mainly...) drink a gallon of milk a day. Do that for a month, and you will put on a crao load.

Healthy eating does not have to be expensive, just make sure you know what you need and get that. There's no need to buy organic free range eggs (well apart from personal moral/ethical reasons) when a tray of battery farm eggs are just as nutritious for example.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 8:24am

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    There's no need to buy organic free range eggs (well apart from personal moral/ethical reasons) a tray of battery farm eggs are just as nutritious for example.
    I don't believe this has been proven true or false. It appears the jury is still out, but there is good reason to suspect that organic eggs have higher levels of several nutrients. Also, they taste a hell of a lot better.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 11:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    I don't believe this has been proven true or false. It appears the jury is still out, but there is good reason to suspect that organic eggs have higher levels of several nutrients. Also, they taste a hell of a lot better.
    No idea about the taste, but I do seem to recall reading that the composition of fats in the yolk are different for the free-range ones, probably due to the feed. I'll post a link if I can find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/03/2008 2:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, MT, boxing, poverty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    off topic, but I think the way the chickens never see the light of day and live their lives in a cage before they are killed is really sad. in battery farms, that is. so yeah I like to pay the extra dollar or two for organic, but I can't say I always do.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast