Sponsored Links Spacer Image

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: MCMAP, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I need to start working out more. Is pushups/situps/pull ups enough?

PROOF that I'm not a completely useless poster:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...0&postcount=58

Quote Originally Posted by Cy Q. Faunce
    3moose1 is correct. Sig THAT, you fucker.

Quote Originally Posted by sochin101 View Post
    I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    That is not conducive to passionate cunnilingus, my friend, let me assure you.
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyOldGuy View Post
    I agree with moosey

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 7:33pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    3moose1, if you're looking to improve your jiu jitsu by increasing your functional strength, those are a great start, but not enough. Why not add in at the very least some squats and lunges and burpees. Also, push-ups, sit-ups, and pull-ups come in many varieties, each of which has its benefits.

I've recently started doing some light lifting with unstable weights (sandbag) and this has greatly impacted my grappling strength (e.g. many people have independently commented that I feel stronger while rolling).

Now I'm joining a gym to be able to use a treadmill (I like the machine to sort of force me to run fast) and do some heavy-weight compound exercises. I also don't have any way to do pull-ups or proper dips at home. I did squats for the first time the other day, and was out-lifting someone who's much larger and more muscular than me who has spent 4 days a week in the gym for years. It seemed so easy to lift a weight that didn't shift and try to slip out of my grips.

I suggest you start with plyometric exercises like you're talking about, but incorporate the half of your body that's being neglected. Dive-bomber style push-ups are my very favorite, if I could only do 1 exercise for the rest of my life, those would be my choice hands down. YouTube and Bullshido are great sources for additional variations on the classics, and they will take you as far as you want them to.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:41pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, i just want to be in better shape. (ie, look moar sexay for t3h ladies)

But yeah, functional strength, now that you've mentioned it, is a goal of mine.

When you lift with this sandbag, what exercises do you do?

I have 5# dumbells (LOL) and a 20# bar here, and when i'm feeling motivated, i do upper body workouts with them. For lower body, i've really only been doing hindu squats. (basically, like you're doing a normal squat, sans weight. After a few, it gets pretty hard)

I went out with a delightful young woman who was on a regimen of pills that made her taste of burned onions.
    I agree with moosey

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 4:51am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I rock climb and train with one of these indoors:

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com/simulator.htm

There are training programs published on the web site (also get some chalk).

This is by far the best way i have found to train grip and upper body strength (water skiing is impractical for Joe Bloggs).

I bolted it above the door frame in my kitchen.

Sure i use it to train off season when climbing, but for bjj (which i have only been doing for a few months), my grip strength impresses the coach, and i also have pretty thick wrists making it more of an effort to sub me with a wrist-lock. I find chokes VERY effective.

Just take it slow when starting out, its is deceptively easy to develop injuries on this thing. When you complete a work out i suggest working your fingers in an opening motion using elastic bands tied together and taped and then looped over your fingers (joining in the middle of your hand).

sorta like this thing, but considerably cheaper:http://www.medco-athletics.com/Suppl...Leaf_Id=929600

hope that helped.

EDIT: for general BW workout i use this http://www.trainforstrength.com/workout1.shtml

oh yeah, and watch out for that non-functional strength..... :P
    Last edited by krasus; 11/28/2008 4:57am at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 7:50am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what? I think it will be a really fucking good idea to read the stickies in the PT forum cuz, you know, we actually have threads specific for this topic.

Important PT Threads You Need to Read. El Macho es Muy Perezoso - No BS Martial Arts

For Baal's sake, we have several MMA fighters and kickboxers who have contributed with their experience on this very subject on the PT forums. Seriously, what's up with the inability/unwilligness to use the search function and read the forums' descriptions? Not trying to be a jerk, but this really makes the management and clean up of moderated forums a real pain in the ass, making it difficult for everyone to find the information they seek.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 12:25pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 3moose1
    well, i just want to be in better shape. (ie, look moar sexay for t3h ladies)
    Carry large wads of $100 bills in your wallet, make sure people know you well enough to come up and say "hi" to you everywhere you take them, and basically demonstrate status (while making it look like you're doing nothing of the sort) in their presence. For complex biological reasons (See "The Red Queen" by Matt Ridley), women are far less concerned with physical appearance and more with status than are we men (also for complex, but mostly understood biological reasons).

As far as what I personally like to do with the sandbag, I have a few different circuits that involve lots of swinging it onto a shoulder and then squatting, holding it on your upper chest (to force your abs to work to keep good posture) while doing lunges, and even putting my hands on it to do burpees, finishing each one with a sort of deadlift. I like it for its constantly shifting weight and cheap startup costs ($5 for a 50 lb bag of sand, $15 for a dry bag in the canoe/kayak section of teh evil Wal-Mart). Not sure if there's sandbag-specific stuff in the stickies, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were some links. Otherwise, search YouTube and you'll find enough ideas to keep you busy for a long time.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 2:35pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: bjj, MT, boxing, poverty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    You know what? I think it will be a really fucking good idea to read the stickies in the PT forum cuz, you know, we actually have threads specific for this topic.

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=61712

For Baal's sake, we have several MMA fighters and kickboxers who have contributed with their experience on this very subject on the PT forums. Seriously, what's up with the inability/unwilligness to use the search function and read the forums' descriptions? Not trying to be a jerk, but this really makes the management and clean up of moderated forums a real pain in the ass, making it difficult for everyone to find the information they seek.
    Well I wish I knew about that already. to be honest, perhaps I could have spent more time scouring this site. But this site is pretty hard to navigate, actually. The set up of it is such that the depth and scope of threads present is hard to perceive based on a "noob"s visiting the site. In other words, it could be cleaned up a bit to make more organized and navigable.
    But otherwise, thank you for the link. I had no idea this thread existed.

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 3:05pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Moose, Allen, the 5x5 is great.

I'm up from 150 to 170lbs in about two months and my strength is through the roof, give it a try.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

United States Marine.

Posted On:
    11/28/2008 10:54pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    Moose, Allen, the 5x5 is great.

I'm up from 150 to 170lbs in about two months and my strength is through the roof, give it a try.

Elaborate, plz?

I agree with moosey

Posted On:
    11/29/2008 12:57am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Google Stronglifts 5x5 and do the workout program while eating lots.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast