Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2008 1:15pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any names I should be looking up in particular?

EDIT: Also I was wondering, that .gif you showed me is with the back leg. Does the same principle happen with the front leg?
    Last edited by gallantknight; 11/26/2008 7:02pm at .

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/26/2008 11:49pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The front leg kick, you step out and to the side with the back and throw the kick. You still swing the hip. Ask your trainer what it looks like.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 12:37am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry, I should clarify. I mean with my front push kick. I'm already slightly to the side, so it's harder to throw my hip out more.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:56am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.freecirclefighting.com/jdbook.pdf

That Book will help with your jabs. Its written By Jack Dempsey. Ignore some of the outdated stuff though. But Jabing is perfectly explained.

BTW those who dont know Jack Dempsey http://au.YouTube - The Manassa Mauler Jack Dempsey vs Jess Willard

They changed the rules after that fight to make things safer
    Last edited by FLMKane; 11/27/2008 10:58am at .

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 12:59pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I couldn't watch your whole jab video. You need to stop trying to do retreating jabs and stepping jabs and learn the timing of a basic jab then add those other things back in.

Also, for the love of god people. If you want help put a fucking location in your damn profile. Incomplete/made up profiles are a huge pet peeve of mine and you are hurting yourself because we have a large assortment of people here on the internets that probably know someone in your city.

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 2:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I second all of that^

There are peeps here who've said, "Why didn't you let me know about ____ seminar/thing etc" It'd help if I knew where you dorks were!

I think you need FAR more footwork drill, then stationary jabbing, then try putting it together-maybe. Don't try so hard to "look" like a boxer, its the first mistake newbs make...

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 2:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I put in a location Whiteshark. Sorry about that, I've always had the habit of leaving my information blank.

EDIT: Do you have any additional tips to add for the kicking video?

Yours truly

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 10:47pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you do any Judo? We got a good judoka at the kickboxing club having trouble with forward kicks. I told him to think about pushing your hips when you do forward-moving trips. I forgot what they are called. (moving opponent's upper body backwards (your front) then as he steps to stay standing, tripping with a reap to inside as you shove with your hip)
    I thought this could be a good way to explain it.

At HKD we did these drills that helped me with kick speeds. It also helps to bring your hips moving correctly. It has been years since I actually benefited from these drills so bear with me.

Throw a knee with you hip. While doing so, PIVOT 90 degrees as you thrust your hip and knee. Return that leg as you pivit back. Do them faster and faster, until you are bouncing back and fourth. do 20 on each stance every day.

Then every other thrust pivot the foot close to 180 degrees. Mix them in with you drills.

If you on pivot the foot you are standing on while keeping that particular leg slightly bent, you will naturally begin to put hips into it.

Your foot should pivot about 90 degrees as you are doing forward kicks (teeps/pushkick)
    Your foot should pivot almost 180 degrees as you are doing roundhouse / side kicks

These pivots will happen quickly and actually make everything faster. Practicing bouncing in and out of these drills specifically does just this.

This foot motion also gives you a bit more range as well as giving you good control and hip commitment.

Your forward kick is fine if you are using it for specific things like groin, lower abdomen and solar plexus strikes. They are blocked easily though, I usually stick to regular teep and pushkicks. The correct motion for the latter kicks is "pushing through" instead of "snapping up." Just as described earlier, "kicking down door." Remember to add the hip commitment to it.

Later, if you want to add more speed into the kicks start kicking off the ground with you toes. Don't worry about this until you get the technique and form down real well. Kicks will start feeling more effortless eventually.

I like this picture because I am exaggurating(sp) the motions I am talking about. I thought about posting the video I got this picture but it happens a bit too fast. Also it showed some bad habits of mine.. (this is from my undergrad times..)

The hip thrust for forward kicks is similar to that picture, except you don't pivot the foot as much. It should start coming together all naturally.

I'd throw more shoulder and hips into the jab. When my jab is extended I am almost sideways to my target, with my shoulder and arm covering almost half of my face.

My jabs are pretty slow too, I don't retract them fast enough. Just repeat over and over again. (actually my boxing sucks and is weird, I have short arms)

Good luck. Anyways, to answer your question about speed, yeah, do that drill I mentioned. Also squat some weights :)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 2:21pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you tuck your elbows a bit more, your jab will already be structurally solid when it connects and you won't have to try to put exta power in it. When you sink lower to do a body punch or work slipping, make the level change with your legs, not your spine (this was actually pretty decent for the most part). I thought your stance was a bit narrow sideways considering you're not doing side kick type stuff, but that's justs my preference. A teep is slightly easier to throw from a more square stance IMHO (also the lead hook). When punching, you might consider pivoting your feet more as you punch- this will encourage light movement and turning the hips into each strike- sometimes you have a fast combination without full uses of the hips. As people have said, more hips in kicks, and start the motion there instead of starting with the foot. I think the teep is best developed by repeatedly kicking a bag or trainer with a chest protector, not by kicking the air. Hitting a target with the right use of the hips gives better feedback than the air. There's been lots of good advice in this thread. Always listen to Kidspatula, Whiteshark, Khun Kao and Annatrocity when they give advice.

Overall, I would say trying to develop a faster jab isn't what you should work on- its on developing a more correct jab, and trying to go faster and faster can actually harm your form.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/19/2009 4:28pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Will adding wrist or ankle weights (2.5 to 5 lbs per foot/hand) help improve kick or jab speed when working on a heavy bag or is that just praying for serious injury?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast