Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 9:14pm

Style: CMA/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Tips for a faster jab and front push kick

So I was talking to one of my instructors last week, and he was telling me how my jab was far too slow. He told me to relax because I was tensed up for too much of the time, so I've been trying to relax while doing my combinations (it has helped a bit). I was wondering if you guys had any other helpful tips that might help me increase the speed of my jab. At the moment, even though I feel like it's moving a bit faster, I feel like I'm losing a bit of the range or technique, and repeated jabs make me feel like I'm using too much of my arm but not enough of my body. However, as I work in my body, my jabs grow slow again.

Second, I was working the pads with another instructor of mine and we both noted that I have this annoying habit where I'll do a little hop forward before I do a front push kick with my right leg (I'm a southpaw). I also feel like it's not fast enough/strong enough either.

All I've been trying to do with my front push kick is to A) work it into my shadowboxing to make it feel more natural (it feels kind of weird atm) and B) I try to have one session where I work exclusively on my front push kick to try and work the kinks out.

Do you guys have any suggestions for my front push kick? I know practice is important, so I've already been doing that, but I was wondering if there was anything else I could do.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long read!

Summary: I need to make my jab faster and I need general help with my front push kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:20pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you have access to a ripcord or other elastic band, there are several drills you can do to help speed your techniques. Obviously you could attach the cord to something behind you to provide resistance, to build explosive power. Plyometric drills would help. You could also try overspeed training now and again. With this, you would actually have the band attached to something in front of you, so that it gains tension when your arm is in your guard position. You would then shoot the jab with the band accelerating your hand faster than it normally goes, which conditions the nervous system to a higher speed. Of course, you need to take some basic precautions so that you're not hyperextending your arm; not winding the band too tightly, controlling the withdrawl of the punch so the elbow never quite reaches full extenstion, etc.. I believe Ted Weisman (sp?) has a good book called Warrior Speed. Might be worth picking up.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:40pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jab and pushkick more during your non-class times. Once you have the technique down and are not making errors like dipping your hand before the jab then it comes down to repetition. We can't help you with the technique part without seeing a video of you jabbing so the only advice to offer is listen to your coach and train more.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:51pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Regarding the jab: This is hard to explain, but you may not be getting your shoulder into your jab. Since you're (correctly) not standing completely sideways to your target, your shoulder is off at a small angle to the end point of your jab. This reduces the range by a small amount, and makes it hard to line up your body behind the punch. You have to roll your shoulder forward so that it lines up with the jabbing arm. Hard to explain, but try it.

P.S. I am just disecting my weak left jab as compared to my strong right jab and noting the difference. I was never instructed to jab like this; the greater training on my right lead just results in these body mechanics.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Need Video ... until then repetition is probably the key .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 7:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll try to get a more recent video of myself today or tomorrow!

1% Shark is better than you.

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 4:19pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ/Shidokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is your jab slow because you are hanging it out there and not retracting fast enough or because you are trying to hit to hard with it or what? Give us more to go on.

In general though relax and concentrate on pulling it back fast. Do a lot of double jabs in your shadow boxing and on the bags/pads.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 4:19pm

Style: kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your instructor was correct in telling you to relax. A tense arm or leg loses a lot of explosive power and speed. Try and quit thinking about your next move. If you have a knowledgeable partner, have them watch you do your combinations and let you know how you are doing and make suggestions on improving techniques . Repetitions will help you in building muscle memory, and just relaxing will help you increase your speed and accuracy. A previous poster mentioned polymetric drills, these will help you with your push kick.

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 4:58pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hips.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 5:23pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShark
    Is your jab slow because you are hanging it out there and not retracting fast enough or because you are trying to hit to hard with it or what? Give us more to go on.

In general though relax and concentrate on pulling it back fast. Do a lot of double jabs in your shadow boxing and on the bags/pads.
    Because I want to hit hard with it. I just have the habit of making most of my shots into POWER shots and my instructor has already told me to try and get rid of that habit, since I can't expect to throw bombs with everything I use.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast