is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:45pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KO'd N DOA
    I always wondered about salmonella poisoning being a health risk for people who eat lots of eggs, especially raw ones. Statistically speaking 1 in every 1000 has it. Most are on the surface, but some actually are inside the egg.

These eggs are cooked yes? And stored in the fridge? Then you should be fine.
    One in every ten thousand is the figure I've heard. See also:

Carbonated drinks - Page 4 - No BS Martial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 3:05pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was curious, went hunting, found you some links.

British governmental advice, from the Food Standards Agency:
    http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/asksam/hea...ggsandpulsesq/
    - no limit suggested for eggs, as long as they form part of a balanced diet

Study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, 1999:
    http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content...ct/281/15/1387
    - no correlation found between egg-eating and cardio-vascular disease except possibly for diabetics; conclusion reached is that an egg a day is quite safe.
    - commented on in slightly less academic terms in the British Medical Journal:
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/318/7191/1094/a

However, the American Heart Association remains somewhat concerned about heavy egg intake in addition to other sources of dietary cholesterol:
    http://www.americanheart.org/present...3006030#Item_7

The science behind much of these nutritional issues is still very much in debate; links between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol remain somewhat tenuous. One thing that's definitely not in debate, however, is that exercise has a very large impact on cardiovascular health, and if you're exercising heavily and regularly you're likely to be relatively low risk for heart disease anyway. Your egg-eating habits are unlikely to make much of a difference to that.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 3:28pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice work Sophist
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 3:35pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There you have it, no harmful effects.

Chow down!

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:14pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There is a very harmful condition that comes with eating too many eggs.

Egg fart.

I remember when I first read about egg farts from snakevaarks. I thought "Pfft, what a retard, he's dumb as a butt and twice as ugly!"

But oh, it was wrong. Egg farts are real, and dangerous. They will make your air smell as nothing you've ever smelt before. They will smell as if the devil and all his sulphurous fury is escaping from your rectum, with all the eye tearing power of mustard gas.

Ask not for who farts the egg farts. The egg farts are farted from thee.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:47pm

Style: This and that

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did the Egg Beaters thing for a while until I was sufficiently convinced that whole eggs would have no negative effect on my health.

I have been eating two eggs a day for about two years and nothing bad has happened to me. My blood pressure and cholesterol are both normal and my resting heart rate is unusually low (between 50 and 54 BPM). I see no reason to stop. It seems that the yolk is the most nutrient dense part anyway.
    I'm not giving you my opinion, I'm telling you how it is.
    Can't decide which evil black rifle to buy? My thoughts.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 8:35am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would only be concerned if your cholesterol levels are bad. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much.

If you are still concerned, you can always boil your eggs (as any "bad" fat that might come with them is due to frying them.)

Also, there are other alternatives such egg whites/egg beaters, tofu, edamame and other legumes. One thing I tried my own "egg beater" stuff by mixing one egg with some egg beaters, soy powder and a bit of soy milk. Kinda tasted the same as commercial egg beater (but cheaper).

I would only be concerned about eating eggs if I were currently overweight and at risk of heart disease. But you are not. The fact that your family have had a history of heart disease doesn't necessarily indicate you are at risk, specially if you are a healthy, physically active individual.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 11:11am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Mantis Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keeps your carbohydrates down and chow down on all the eggs you want. :) Insulin resistance is a much higher risk factor for coronary disease than dietary fat/cholestorol.

(Yes, I'm a Zone convert) :)

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 6:52pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigpappaferg
    Keeps your carbohydrates down and chow down on all the eggs you want. :) Insulin resistance is a much higher risk factor for coronary disease than dietary fat/cholestorol.

(Yes, I'm a Zone convert) :)
    Except that apparently eating eggs increases your risk of developing insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/res...ryarticle=6270

Not that this should apply to the OP now, but in a few years it will be something to think about.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 7:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aging Hippie Liberal Douche
    Except that apparently eating eggs increases your risk of developing insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes.

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/res...ryarticle=6270

Not that this should apply to the OP now, but in a few years it will be something to think about.
    This is the study in question. I haven't been able to examine their methodology yet, but I have my doubts. I've had some trouble parsing this study for impact of eggs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast