218358 Bullies, 7329 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 12:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche
    I thought one of the main reason why strikers switched stances was to throw the other fighters distance and timing off?
    Yeah, unfortunately the average newbie isn't Anderson Silva. It's likely the only person's distance and timing you'll be throwing off is your own.

Like I said, if it were easy then everyone would do it. There's a possibility you can, there's a 99% probability that you can't though.
    So i thought it may screw their distance and timing up even more if you not only switched stance but also changes the way in which you attack and defend.
    How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about? If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 1:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    CLF forms give me nightmares.
    When i see someone do a CLF form i suddenly start crying.
    Go with muay thai.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lu Tze
    Yeah, unfortunately the average newbie isn't Anderson Silva. It's likely the only person's distance and timing you'll be throwing off is your own.

Like I said, if it were easy then everyone would do it. There's a possibility you can, there's a 99% probability that you can't though.How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about? If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports.
    Agreed. Knowing how to fight from the other lead is usefull if you happen to end up there by accident. This can happen pretty easily if you put your foot straight down after landind a rear leg roundhouse. If you really want to try throwing the guy off w/o confusing youself, just switch leads for an entire round. You might gain a small advantage without worrying about switching back and forth under pressure.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful?
    If you really want to confuse your opponent, try shitting yourself and then raving like a lunatic. Trust me, no one will come near you after you use this technique. Not even your own family.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:32pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports."

Throws and takedowns work in the context of BJJ yet that doesn't mean that you will learn them to the stanard of Judo or Wrestling. Just because something works in a certain rule set doesn't mean it will praticed by people who follow that rule set or do it to a standard of another group that puts more emphasis on it eg: the spinning hook kick works well in the context of Muay Thai but how often does an average Muay Thai school pratice that technique compared to an average Kyokushin school?

"How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about?"

I was not looking for a gimmick I was merely asking a question about something that seemed like it may work. Also I DO train like my coach knows his stuff, because he does.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:37pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The question, everyone is dancing around is, how long you have trained your arts?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was not looking for a gimmick I was merely asking a question about something that seemed like it may work. Also I DO train like my coach knows his stuff, because he does.
    Gimmick: A device employed to cheat, deceive, or trick, especially a mechanism for the secret and dishonest control of gambling apparatus.

Source: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/gimmick

You were trying to come up with a means by which to confuse or trick an opponent. That's a gimmick.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    The question, everyone is dancing around is, how long you have trained your arts?
    Hey! When did Dolemite die?! That sucks :(

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:46pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 2:51pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "The question, everyone is dancing around is, how long you have trained your arts?"

Judo: 1 year until my teacher stopped teaching and then I didnt do it for 3 years then I did 2 years later so 3 years.

BJJ: 4 going on 5 years

Wrestling: 1 year until work got in the way (freestyle) then 1 year with a differnet coach (greco)

Sambo: about 3 months just started and loving it

Kyokushin: about 3 months though work is getting the way

Boxing MMA and Muay Thai: I have done on and off all the time I have been doing bjj when i can make class (the bjj class covers the cost for all of them)

All up I have been training realistic martial arts 6 years approx

Before that I did 4 years of Ninja and before that i did Kickboxing and boxing (which doesnt count because I was only 12 or so)

(edited for mistakes its 5 15 am here and i cant type properly)
    Last edited by speedycerviche; 11/24/2008 3:14pm at .
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast