Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:08am

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Switching between striking arts

What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful?

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:10am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedycerviche
    What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful?
    How about you switch your style field to what you train, not what you want to train.

Left foot forward or right foot forward doesn't denote what style you train.

:spam4:

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All kinds of strikers switch stances, why does it necessitate training in an entirely different style!?

If it were that easy to do though, everyone would do it.

Graviora Manent

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:15am

Join us... or die
     Style: No gym currently.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance.

That sounds like a better investment in time, money and effort to me.

Unless you particularly wanted to learn a martial art that sounds like an actor from Hard Boiled...

EDITUS COCKRINGUS: Lu Tze beat me to it... Yorkshire FTW!
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:23am

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I started (adult) boxing in a JKD gym, so I box southpaw. When I started San Shou and MT I just kept the stance, although I later learned th fight from a left lead stance. If you want to do both arts, use one lead for both styles.

P.S. Don't get caught up in trying to 'confuse' your opponent. Your opponent is *smart*. If you assume otherwise, you're going to get hurt.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for your replys.

It is not however spam and i am sorry if it sounded like it i just had this idea today and wanted some feed back I do train in all the styles in my style field (although KK not at the moment) I can PM you pictures and results from comps if you dont beleive me (if thats a problem) and i train at 3 different gyms to train in my different styles.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:47am

Style: hard work work

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This assumes that your opponent will even notice, and think "Oh noes, this thai boxer knows kung fu!" You might be overestimating their education or ability to think under adrenaline.

If you have managed to convince somebody that you'll be using "typical" thai techniques, wouldn't it be better to throw in something in a sneaky manner?

BTW your stock just went up for offering pics and credentials. Don't blow it if somebody calls.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been doing choy li fut for years, and I was never taught to adopt a right lead. In FMA definitely, because you want to lead with your weapon generally.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.

"Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance."

Would a Muay Thai or Choy Lee Fut school do that(or even let you do that)? I have never trained Choy Lee Fut but in the Muay Thai classes i went to they only ever attacked from a orthodox stance switching only for kicks and knees.

"All kinds of strikers switch stances, why does it necessitate training in an entirely different style!?"

I thought one of the main reason why strikers switched stances was to throw the other fighters distance and timing off? So i thought it may screw their distance and timing up even more if you not only switched stance but also changes the way in which you attack and defend.

"If you have managed to convince somebody that you'll be using "typical" thai techniques, wouldn't it be better to throw in something in a sneaky manner?"

More the likely, but i was meaning to flow from style to style like throw a Muay Thai combo land with other foot foward and start Throwing some Choy Lee Fut combos and keep switching.

"I've been doing choy li fut for years, and I was never taught to adopt a right lead. In FMA definitely, because you want to lead with your weapon generally."

Sorry never having done Choy Lee Fut I didnt know but from what i was told by one of my friends who praticed it they stand predominately southpaw and also the videos i have seen they stand southpaw so i just assumed.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 12:01pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice.

"Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance."

Would a Muay Thai or Choy Lee Fut school do that(or even let you do that)? I have never trained Choy Lee Fut but in the Muay Thai classes i went to they only ever attacked from a orthodox stance switching only for kicks and knees.
    Just tell them you're a lefty. It works for me.

As far as CLF being a strong-side-forward style: I don't know that much about it. You might be thinking of JKD, specifically Jun Fan Kickboxing (aka original JKD). This is a notorious right lead style. JKD makes Choy La Fut swing, American!
Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast