solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper View Post
    brown? you're an ikkyu already? wtf that was fast.
    sankyu and nikyu also wear brown belts (he's a sankyu)
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 1:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not around here they don't. Thanks for clarifying.

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 6:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper View Post
    Not around here they don't. Thanks for clarifying.
    Are you in Europe? I've seen brown-for-ikkyu-only in maybe one club out of thirty represented at various tournaments this past year, and it's referred to as European style ranking. Everybody in the NY/NJ area I've met in the judo world says "brown belt" to mean sankyu-nikyu-ikkyu.

That being said, I'll try to be more careful with the nomenclature. This is the second time that happened. Weird.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 6:40pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm in Canada eh?

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 12:43pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

NAGA

Went to NAGA.

1) Newark is an awful place. We saw a nice art gallery, but otherwise, guhhhh.

2) NAGA kind of sucks. My gi match was at 6pm, but was scheduled for 3pm, and I turned in my card at 4:30 or 5. Similar timing earlier in the day for no-gi, after a registration/weigh-in/rules meeting at 9:30/10. That's 9 hours of waiting, including at least 2 straight hours of waiting in a highly restricted area where you need to keep your ears pricked for the sound of your poorly-pronounced and quietly-announced name, at which point you're not on deck (oh no); you're fighting right now. Not to mention the 40-man divisions and too-small venue that could've added another 6 mats if they had gotten rid of the vendor booths. Guhhhhh!

3) I need to work on heel hook finishes/control/leg positioning, 1/2 guard sweeps and positioning, spider guard attacks, and overall ferociousness. I was about halfway into the correct mind position for these matches (the waiting, and losing in no-gi, brought me down), and need to be more aggressive.

4) I'll STFU and video:

No-gi:
    http://vimeo.com/7625257
    or youtube instead:
    YouTube- NAGA Nov 2009 - nogi match

I tried to play the same butterfly game that I did at NYSS, but A) my opponent actually has good zhoo-zhitsu, and so had good hips and didn't fall into subs, and B) he forced me to play half-guard more than butterfly. I tried for an armbar, 2 heel hooks and a probably-wrong-arm-position arm triangle (4 points--not sure from which attacks), and he got mount twice, and had a guillotine attempt (6 points). I completely fucked up the arm positioning for 2 taking the back attempts, too. Later in the day he told me that the 2nd heel hook did some damage to his leg. Nice guy.

Gi:
    YouTube- NAGA Nov 2009 - gi match

I couldn't get my grip in standup, and he got 2 takedown points after I defended his single leg and sat to guard. WTF? I then played spider guard, since I knew he did well (1st I think) in no-gi. He defended armbar, triangle, omoplata, then passed and it ended 0-5.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoes and shorts.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	10819  

Last edited by 1point2; 11/15/2009 1:02pm at .
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 1:50pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate the waiting, the not knowing when to warm up, the hunger and thirst and stultifying florescent lighting. I pretty much hate everything about tournaments except the actual fighting. Anyway, I'm no great shakes on the mat, but here's my commentary:

NO-GI

In general, I'd like to see more bread & butter white belt BJJ and less fancy stuff that you're not quite able to pull off yet. You've got good legs in your half-guard game, but you aren't using your arms well -- always kill the biceps and pressure the neck or the top player will crush you and control you.

Things I said out loud while watching:

0:08 You're a judo brown belt, why are you pulling half guard from standing?
    0:45 Spin for the kneebar!
    0:58 Kill the biceps!
    1:18 Take his back.
    1:30 There's no choke there! You'll just tire your arms while he passes to mount!
    1:43 ... like that.
    1:58 Elbows in, elbows in!
    2:10 Nice!
    2:15 Take his back, take his back!
    2:24 Don't hold him! You want to make space from the bottom, not collapse it.
    3:20 Kill the biceps!

GI

I spent this entire video shouting "break his fucking grips!" Everything that went badly for you in this fight had to do with his having superior grips that nullified your game.

2:00 That triangle from bottom was a decent idea, but it'll always get you passed if you miss the arm (i.e. just get the head).
    2:45 Good!
    2:48-3:55 Postura! Postura! Posture up, get your grips, stand and pass!
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 6:06pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Rusher View Post
    Thanks, Jack.

I pulled guard because I feel unsettled in the no-gi clinch. I saw the kneebar but haven't ever learned, drilled, or landed it, so went for the barely-there heel hook. I think I know what you mean by "kill the biceps," but I don't really, so maybe we'll discuss it @ the TD, or if it's simple could you just explain it? As for back-taking, it was on my agenda, but I didn't feel it was there. Could this have been due to his hip pressure?

Posture: I was not being explosive, probably for psychological reasons.

Strategy: Overall I tried to replicate my performance @ NYSS, ie, wait for them to make a mistake. These guys were better than that (with hips & grips, specifically), and I wasn't being aggressive enough. This took me into places like spider guard and half guard, where you're absolutely correct; I shouldn't have been.

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 9:13pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    I think I know what you mean by "kill the biceps," but I don't really, so maybe we'll discuss it @ the TD, or if it's simple could you just explain it?
    Most of the time the top player will want a position like this:

... to prevent that, it's a good idea to use a hand position like this:

... I don't mean using the knee the way he's doing here (necessarily), but getting the hands up to pressure his neck and prevent his arm from wrapping your head in the manner depicted in the first picture. This is a good way to avoid getting flattened out and pinned. Once you're framed up to prevent him from crushing you, start looking for an underhook with the arm that's under his neck.

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    As for back-taking, it was on my agenda, but I didn't feel it was there. Could this have been due to his hip pressure?
    It looked to me like you should have been able to hip bump and take his back, but I can't know the exact pressure you were feeling.

We can work on any of this that you want at the TD. Also, if your BJJ coach does private lessons -- and you can afford one -- it might be a good idea to go over those two videos with him.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Posted On:
    11/15/2009 9:29pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks. Me and positional drilling will be getting to know each other very well the next few weeks.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/17/2009 12:51am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quick notes on the no gi match:

0:17 By now you, a Judoka, have pulled not guard, but half-guard. Cross body half-guard at that. Then, instead of making a frame, like JR illustrated in his second photo, you allow yourself to be flattened out. You need to fight for position in a more aggressive manner. Once you're are down and flattened out, you're his bitch.

At 0:41 Your foot that you've thrown across his body is totally exposed because you don't get the leg far enough across his body to tuck your foot away beyond his hip.

At 0:44 You lose effective control of the leg when he steps over. You slide down his leg, away from his hip when this happened. That is why you didn't finish, not to mention significantly injure, him.

At 0:52-53 your hook slides from inside his knee to inside his hip. Behind the knee is generally a superior leverage point in my opinion.

1:15 You're reaching up with your left leg, but your right leg is static underneath him. The right leg should have progressed to the hip. Climb up to his head like a monkey, or get him high and stretch him out, but avoid that in between state.

1:18-23 He makes a frame against your face to flatten you out. You need to be the one doing the framing.

1:29-41 You waste some time with an arm triangle attempt from underneath half guard while you're far too low to pull it off.

This is immediately followed by the herculean upa, but you fail to contract your knee to your chest to set up the hook. So instead, he gets mount. See subsequent "ball" explanation below.

2:41-43 More pressure on his neck needed.

2:44 Quit diving for feet like a deranged white belt and start passing people's guards.

Your subsequent leg lock attempt failed because your elbow-to-rib clamp was weak. You know what's just as important as clamping your knees in the footlock game? You guessed it, a hearty and hale elbow clamp. Never mind all that. Next time, sweep him or pass his guard. Get on top, get in control.

3:23 Again with the cross body half guard. Show me you can make the same side half-guard work. There are more options with the same side half-guard, namely taking the back.

3:26-32 Again you allow yourself to be flattened out. Ball up to prevent this. Bring your knees to your chest, elbows to your sides, and then insert your hook and spin to the side when he rides high trying to pass
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast