Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    9/30/2009 4:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think Bullies are better at newaza because we're more likely to cross-train BJJ/SAMBO/wrestling with our judo/MT/karate/sanda. I got a leg up at the start from karate, and rode that wave until I started BJJ.

Unfortunately I don't want my newaza to be better than my clinch; it just is. I want to throw them as much as pin and choke them.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    10/04/2009 1:45am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Fall Promotional 2009

Went 1-2 in my first tournament at the brown belt level. I went to the Hudson Yudanshakai's Fall Promotional Shiai/Tournament 2009 and had a great time. I earned 2 points towards my nikyu and got a taste of what brown belts feel like in competition.

I started the day hella nervous. Once I got on the mat, it all washed away.

I first went up against a green belt, which isn't supposed to happen, but whatever. He scored waza-ari on me after I failed osotogari, and I opportunistically took the armbar he gave me. Win! Camera was undergoing technical issues FYI.
    YouTube - 1st match @ Fall Promotional 2009
    I was happy about my first use of a hip block, and not so happy about my lack of solid nagewaza attacks. My footwork/movement was also not what I want it to be.

I stayed on the mat for my next match, in what is a both neat and taxing tradition. Opponent was a lefty. I moved better than in the 1st match, I guess, but when I took an underarm grip and moved for ouchigari, he countered with deashibarai (?) for ippon.
    YouTube - 2nd match @ Fall Promotional 2009

In my third match, I go against my first opponent again. He was hunting hard for the seoinage, and his elbow (which I had jazzed significantly but not seriously) seemed to have gotten better. He was fast and attacked continuously. After he fails a throw, I tried for the Yamashita turnover (see training log, Supporting members) and couldn't get it, so moved for the choke or armbar. His arms and neck were locked up tighter than the nuclear launch codes.
    I get another hip block, but again can't crack his turtle.
    I fake a high grip to bait his seoinage urges, and take the low grip. Ha! From there I try the kouchigari, hip block his seoinage, and fail to crack his newaza stalling.
    Finally I start moving him like I should. I go for the kouchigari, he counters, I stupidly roll to my back to give him the ippon. Sadface.
    YouTube - 3rd match @ Fall Promotional 2009

Overall I'm OK with how the day went, but want to develop A) more cardio (though this wasn't an issue) B) more aggressive attacks C) better turtle cracking. My instructors are suggesting 1) ashiwaza and 2) forward throws, along with 3) more of the hip blocks, and less of the falling on my back.
    Last edited by 1point2; 10/04/2009 1:52am at .
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    10/05/2009 10:11pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Turns out my first opponent is probably a sankyu, but just from a club where they use green for sankyu.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He was throwing another armbar at you in the last match around 1:20, should have taken him up on it.
    And you have been going pretty fast to brown, how long has it been?
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:37pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by M.C. View Post
    He was throwing another armbar at you in the last match around 1:20, should have taken him up on it.
    And you have been going pretty fast to brown, how long has it been?
    Yeah, I see that. It was a messy takedown fall to the ground, and I didn't feel it. Maybe his elbow was clamped to his ribs; I know I was looking for the lapel choke (jigokujime) or armbar just as you describe; not sure why it wasn't there like the other times.

It's been 10 months. I came in with some newaza skills (ZOMG CRAPPLING) but I think it's primarily that I've gone to class regularly every week, competed, and used competition to improve, that has gotten me promoted at that rate. There are standards and time-in-grade requirements, yet promotions are primarily ability-based. It's not fast compared to other competitors AFAIK.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, keep it up I guess. And don't go for the lapel choke, the refs seem to not let you play it out long enough. Ram your hooks in and RNC or grab their isolated flailing arms when ever you hit the ground and armbar the living **** out of them. Doing Judo does not mean the fight stops as soon as one or both people hit the ground, fight ends when the ref calls it or you ripped his arm out.
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Posted On:
    10/08/2009 2:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    grab their isolated flailing arms when ever you hit the ground and armbar the living **** out of them.
    This was my first time against the guy. Except for possibly at 1:20 he seemed aware of it the second time.

Ram your hooks in and RNC
    This did me well in the previous tournament. I actually know exactly the detail I forgot, that cost me the (possible) success of this technique: incorrect finger positioning for attacking the neck. Srsly. I had it right two weeks prior; I just forgot at the promotional.

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 8:06am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Won two 1st places at NY Submission Series. No video, sorry folks.

Went 0-2 at Tech Judo Invitational in brown belt 178#. Second video is chopped up and blurry. Advice welcome. Yes, I know that my hip blocks in the 1st match suck balls.

Match 1
    YouTube - Tech Judo Invitational - Dave's 1st match (loss)

Match 2 - I almost got him with several chokes and armlocks, but got stood up every time. I felt I was winning in tachiwaza until I walked into a beautiful kataguruma. I'd love a rematch :)

YouTube - Tech Judo Invitational - Dave's 2nd match PART 1
    YouTube - Tech Judo Invitational - Dave's 2nd match PART 2
    YouTube - Tech Judo Invitational - Dave's 2nd match PART 3

Sorry about the blurry camera work. Something was on the lens.

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 12:18pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A) Bump.

B) Supporting members - please check out my training log for a little more analysis.

C) Bullies who aren't supporting members yet - sign up & get on the awesome train! Training logs rock. There are secret forums. There are crazy orgies. It's wicked.*

* There are no actual orgies. But supporting membership is still awesome.

Posted On:
    11/02/2009 1:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    brown? you're an ikkyu already? wtf that was fast.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast