Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 9:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Groin striking?

I was just thinking, wouldnt knees and kicks to the groin really nulify a lot of stuff and the way clinch would be done? I mean theres knees to the body there all the time, and if I imagine taking one of those to the groin , it would put me to the ground for sure.

Same goes for a good leg kick, you see guys getting knocked by an inside leg kick that hits the balls with their ankle (like hughes vs gsp), and thats not even full power.

Plus, all of this stuff is WITH a metal guard, yet it still does incredible damage, imagine what it would do without a guard...

Would it change a lot of things in your opinion? You can strike to the groin on the ground aswell, but its not so easy there I would say... but the clinch? A nice knee to the groin seems really easy to imagine hitting there and effectively putting the person on the ground, even if its only with 1/10 of its potential power.

What do you think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 9:53am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The groin is a sensitive area, as we are all aware.

What's your point?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 10:10am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My point was that it seems like clinch would be a much more dangerous place, not to say it wasnt with knees to the head, but I mean it just doesnt seem that hard for me to imagine knees to the groin instead of the body. You see knees to the body all the time in the clinch, its not even meant as a way to really do big damage, just a thing that will make a difference after some though. Now I dont know how about you, but even 1 of those knees to the body would put me on the ground, if they were to the groin.

In the head arm clinch, obviously it could be avoided, just with holding distance and a bit different stance, but when the guys get close, something like double underhooks would be really dangerous.

It just seems to me like it would make lots of the throws etc a bit less usable, because you would get hit, trying to get the angle and position to pull it off.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:09am

Style: FMA, MT & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kid_
    My point was that it seems like clinch would be a much more dangerous place, not to say it wasnt with knees to the head, but I mean it just doesnt seem that hard for me to imagine knees to the groin instead of the body. You see knees to the body all the time in the clinch, its not even meant as a way to really do big damage, just a thing that will make a difference after some though. Now I dont know how about you, but even 1 of those knees to the body would put me on the ground, if they were to the groin.
    Knees inside the clinch ARE meant to do massive amounts of damage, target the liver, the short-ribs or the solar plexus, and you probably will go down. The reason it often does not in competitions is mainly due to the fact that they train to protect themselves.

When it comes to the groin, a clean hit will most likely floor you, as would a clean hit to the jaw.

In the head arm clinch, obviously it could be avoided, just with holding distance and a bit different stance, but when the guys get close, something like double underhooks would be really dangerous.
    I don't know what you mean by the "head arm clinch", but I would say that double underhooks make it difficult to get power behind a knee. It wouldn't make it impossible, of course, just more difficult. A lot of the purpose behind a wrestling-clinch is actually to control the opponents hips so I don't see it as a huge risk factor. Naturally in a situation where knees to the groin are allowed I would use the clinch to trip my opponent ASAP, rather than lean on him as one might during a comp.

It just seems to me like it would make lots of the throws etc a bit less usable, because you would get hit, trying to get the angle and position to pull it off.
    Not really no. You may have to pull them of faster in order to minimise the risk, but I can't think of any throw that would change all that much.

Just a question, what is your MA background? It helps to understand where you are coming from in your experience.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:16am

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In a fight drugs and adrenaline can have a dramatic affect on a person's ability to take a hit don't rely on it finishing a fight I've kicked blokes in the balls and seen them get straight back up.
    Also, search function noob!

Weak

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ninja has spoken.

Markcos - how come you haven't come along to one of the Sydney meet ups?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:24am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily

He has, you just can't see a ninja

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well its mainly greco roman wrestling that I do, I did thaiboxing for about a year - especially there, I was worried very often that the other guy would knee me in the balls unintentionally,which made me use a less square stance than when Im wrestling greco roman, and now Im doing bjj for almost 2 years.

Oh I dont doubt a knee to the liver/plexus would get me down, thing is they wouldnt get a pro fighter down, whereas when getting kneed to the groin, it doesnt really matter if your an experienced fighter or not.

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:34am

Style: Gym drifter

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA - as real as it gets... Groin Striking - as simple as it gets.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2008 11:59am

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily
    The ninja has spoken.

I do shift work & haven't been keeping a close check on the TD thread.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast