Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 3:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, it pays to distinguish between Lyte Burley's YouTube vids and FWAPE's; Burley is most likely the one to have been dissing MT. I believe there's a clip of him demo'ing 52 defense against some light kicks and he is a lot more confrontational online than are the FWAPE guys.

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 3:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Submission Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical Jo
    I got the impression of a Blaxploitation version of Wing Chun, but to each his own.
    More like "Going Back To Kali"

blotter art.

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 4:06pm

Style: San Shou

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleSoft
    More like "Going Back To Kali"
    + rep

Anyway, okay, it might not have been these guys, it was a 52 blocks guy though.

Other than the opinion of rashad evans (admittedly valid), I have seen nothing to give these guys credibility.

I really shouldn't just **** on a whole style based on one dude, considering I do CMA, tai chi no less. But do they train any good boxers? any MMA guys?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gunterfan3819282
    + rep

Anyway, okay, it might not have been these guys, it was a 52 blocks guy though.

Other than the opinion of rashad evans (admittedly valid), I have seen nothing to give these guys credibility.

I really shouldn't just **** on a whole style based on one dude, considering I do CMA, tai chi no less. But do they train any good boxers? any MMA guys?
    According to the FWAPE crew, Burley doesn't actually represent the 52s:

YouTube - 52FAKEOUT Episode#1

I don't know enough about the politics of that situation to comment in depth, but I've been researching this in some depth for a number of years and the FWAPE guys have checked out at every level.

Rashad Evans' opinion aside, they're recruiting/offering sponsorship to boxers and MMA guys now; we'll see what happens, I guess. These guys are definitely in shape for pro fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 5:59pm

Style: systema/RMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    that exercise stuff is inspiring.

thanks for posting

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 7:51pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Critical Jo
    I got the impression of a Blaxploitation version of Wing Chun, but to each his own.
    Interesting observation. I used to spar with a guy from Chicago back in the '80s that practiced a style he called "Islamic Combat Karate." It was a combination of Western Boxing, Wing Chun and Shotokan Karate. He claimed it was developed for the Black Panthers. He was a big proponent of full contact sparring, claiming that anything other than full contact "wasn't real." Whatever the truth of his claims regarding the BP, I found his style to be effective and his skills impressive, which has lead me to not discount the Chun out of hand. I don't see any of the leg tecnhiques and acrobatics he incorporared, but I wonder if "Islmamic Combat Karate" had any influenced 52 Blocks at all.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Now iz BBQ Timez?

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 7:55pm

Join us... or die
     Style: TKD, Relson GJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DdlR
    According to the FWAPE crew, Burley doesn't actually represent the 52s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-W8hDb2ZG0

I don't know enough about the politics of that situation to comment in depth, but I've been researching this in some depth for a number of years and the FWAPE guys have checked out at every level.

Rashad Evans' opinion aside, they're recruiting/offering sponsorship to boxers and MMA guys now; we'll see what happens, I guess. These guys are definitely in shape for pro fighting.
    OMG, 52 Blocks is in its infancy as an MA and they're already having lineage wars.
    Mushi mo atsui hodo
    Mushiatsui

Originally Posted by chuey
    ...Well **** if that isn't the most anti-Mr. Miyagi **** I have heard in ages.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but
    Three rights make a left.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 9:02pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Yam
    OMG, 52 Blocks is in its infancy as an MA and they're already having lineage wars.
    Considering it's origins, that's in no way suprising. I think the fact that they're trying to get into MMA means that it's gonna get beat into shape.

I also see no chance of me encountering this in real life in any way shape or form.

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 9:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hard sparring vid features Jamel. He's an absolutely fantastic Nak Muay and a great Kru as well. He tried helping these guys out, I think it mostly had to do with a way to teach younger black kids to stay away from bad **** and since he's a beastly fighter he thought he might help him out. A while later he smacks the **** out of some 52 tough guy in some park for talking **** about Muay Thai.

Whatever I could be wrong on a few details but I know from the youtube comments I saw on Jamels youtube vids one of these guys was talking some racially fueled nonsense and got his ass handed to him royally for it later.

I'm not a big fan of 52, but if there are some guys out there trying to clean it up, maybe change up the hype to hard work then more power to them. Enough racially fueled bullshit though, that gimmick **** is not amusing.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 11:38pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Yam
    Interesting observation. I used to spar with a guy from Chicago back in the '80s that practiced a style he called "Islamic Combat Karate." It was a combination of Western Boxing, Wing Chun and Shotokan Karate. He claimed it was developed for the Black Panthers. He was a big proponent of full contact sparring, claiming that anything other than full contact "wasn't real." Whatever the truth of his claims regarding the BP, I found his style to be effective and his skills impressive, which has lead me to not discount the Chun out of hand. I don't see any of the leg tecnhiques and acrobatics he incorporared, but I wonder if "Islmamic Combat Karate" had any influenced 52 Blocks at all.
    Possibly. 52 Blocks is just the most common name these days, the same/similar stuff has been nicknamed Jailhouse Rock, Alto, Bum Rush, prison boxing, Comstock style, etc., etc. depending on where and when.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast