Page 1 of 5 12345 Last
  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flint, Mi.
    Posts
    485
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Mistelling the Gracie/Kimura match.

    Everyone knows about the Gracie vs. Kimura match. I thought it'd be common knowledge among people that Kimura broke Helio's arm with the keylock and the Gracies named the move after him in honor of it.

    What's been bothering me is that I've heard at least two separate and wrong version of the stories. The first one I heard was from a BJJ brown, which bugged the hell out of me cause I figured he'd know better. As he told it, Helio actually broke Kimura's arm with the lock, and they named it after him because of that.

    What?

    That doesn't bother me as much, however, as the second story I heard just recently. I was doing an article for the campus paper on a martial arts club we have on campus, where the instructor is a 5th Dan in Hapkido with a few years of Catch training. What he said happened is that Lou freakin' Thesz went down to Brazil and broke Helio's arm with the keylock. He then looked me in the eye, totally serious, and said that's why they named it the Kimura.

    I don't know how the hell you get that from Lou Thesz....maybe he secretly had a Japanese cousin or something?

    I just wanted to ask though, is this just a natural mutation of a legend or something? Do people mistell stories in favor of their art? Am I gonna hear the story told from the view of a tae kwon do practioner about how some guy broke Helio's arm with an outside crescent kick?

  2. #2
    rocketsurgeon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    The flip side. Ok really Pittsburgh.
    Posts
    142
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever see the patch for Isshinryu? It's a chick sitting crosslegged who supposedly came to the founder in a dream. My instructor told me that story straight faced when I was a lad. Who knows what the kimura story will be in a couple of hundred years.

  3. #3
    PointyShinyBurn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    4,220
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One would think, indeed hope, that the 'natural evolution of a legend' would be forestalled slightly by the fact that you can YouTube this **** up and see exactly what happened in a handful of seconds...

  4. #4
    E-Van's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,517
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsurgeon
    Ever see the patch for Isshinryu? It's a chick sitting crosslegged who supposedly came to the founder in a dream. My instructor told me that story straight faced when I was a lad. Who knows what the kimura story will be in a couple of hundred years.
    Well... he told you that because that is the actual story of the patch.
    Website Administrator Tom Kagan just loves email, instant messages, private messages, text messages, tweets, status updates, and every kind of personal contact. You can reah him at his personal email account at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN] or even on his cell phone number at [EDITED BY TOM KAGAN].

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flint, Mi.
    Posts
    485
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    One would think, indeed hope, that the 'natural evolution of a legend' would be forestalled slightly by the fact that you can YouTube this **** up and see exactly what happened in a handful of seconds...
    Hope, yeah. Count on, I guess not. I was just confused because hell, even Wikipedia has it right.

  6. #6
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,343
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd
    I've just wanted to ask though, is this just a natural mutation of a legend or something? Do people mistell stories in favor of their art? Am I gonna hear the story told from the view of a tae kwon do practioner about how some guy broke Helio's arm with an outside crescent kick?
    I'm guessing you never heard of the 'word of mouth' experiment (I don't remember what it was actually called). Tell one person a story and ask them to pass it along. By the time the story has been told by five people, it's usually only marginally related to the original story that was told.

    Anyone else remember this? It would be pretty funny if it was an urban myth because right now, I can't remember reading an actual study.

  7. #7
    NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT supporting member
    Matt Phillips's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bahstun
    Posts
    9,753
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I say, history matters. Everyone does this, even on Bullshido. For example, people on this site often reference the introduction of 5 minute rounds by the UFC as having been good for the sport. Even with the video evidence, people still ignore the fact that there were 5 minute rounds in *UFC I*. After none of the matches went 5:00, this was dropped for UFC II and re-introduced later. The oft quoted rationalization came from Jason DeLucia's post fight interview in UFC I: 'If the fight goes longer than 5:00, there's something wrong with the way the people are fighting.' Of course no one remembers this either, because this fight isn't on "'In The Beginning". You had to actually have watched the program.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Flint, Mi.
    Posts
    485
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, but I remember that one game we used to play in school where you'd say one thing to a person, and they have to whisper on down the line to the next until you get to the end and see how it comes out.

    Like, Peanut Butter becomes Packnut Booty or something.

    So, same thing on a smaller scale?

  9. #9
    It is Fake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    34,442
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    I'm guessing you never heard of the 'word of mouth' experiment (I don't remember what it was actually called). Tell one person a story and ask them to pass it along. By the time the story has been told by five people, it's usually only marginally related to the original story that was told.

    Anyone else remember this? It would be pretty funny if it was an urban myth because right now, I can't remember reading an actual study.
    Telephone.

  10. #10
    joecos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    877
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by foxd
    No, but I remember that one game we used to play in school where you'd say one thing to a person, and they have to whisper on down the line to the next until you get to the end and see how it comes out.

    Like, Peanut Butter becomes Packnut Booty or something.

    So, same thing on a smaller scale?
    Yeah, when I was growing up that game was called "telephone".

Page 1 of 5 12345 Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO