Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 3:21am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Stunned and sleepless

Just started back at kickboxing after about a 3 year hiatus, this time at a new gym which fights a bit harder than I'm used to, as such I've found myself catching a few punches and getting that nice glazed over can't hear to clearly starry flash for a moment. Not too pleasant, and kind of curious if maybe I should be skipping the sparring classes for a little while to get my cardio back up. Though I'm keeping toe to toe pretty well, just the smallest feller in class.

Beyond that though, my question is, as this has happened a couple times I've noticed after class- just when this happens, I can't really go to sleep for a damn, each time I've had this happen in class I can't sleep 'till like 1am, has anybody else noticed any similar effects? Anybody have thoughts on this? Only ever trained at one gym before this one which was much gentler in sparring, so not sure how I should react to this stuff.

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 3:50am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained at a Judo dojo run by some excellent&highly skilled Russians. Problem is, they have class from 8:00-10:00 and with Randori at the end of class, it takes me hours to unwind.

I wish they did 6am classes!

To train with intensity and deal with adrenaline
    and excitement makes it difficult to come down. I know exactly what you mean. With time and acclimation, you'll get used to it; there are also simple meditation exercises to calm yourself down again...

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 4:08am

Style: Sub-Grap/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have exactly the same problem. My Sub-Grap Class does'nt finish til 10pm and it takes me hours to chill out enough to go to sleep.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 5:35am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yup, I feel you guys (no homo) and I'll probably be back to the same problem soon.

Warm milk (seriously) is a good plan after training, it's a natural very mild sedative and can put me right to sleep if I time it right.

Ritual is good too, like come home, drink milk, watch an episode of something, then bedtime. If you get your body used to that it helps.

My favourite option though is to get my SO to give me a backrub, that's the best relaxation method I've found yet.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 7:39am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Other Other Serge
    I've trained at a Judo dojo run by some excellent&highly skilled Russians. Problem is, they have class from 8:00-10:00 and with Randori at the end of class, it takes me hours to unwind.

I wish they did 6am classes!

To train with intensity and deal with adrenaline
    and excitement makes it difficult to come down. I know exactly what you mean. With time and acclimation, you'll get used to it; there are also simple meditation exercises to calm yourself down again...
    I've had this experience as well, be it with Judo, jits or just plain weight lifting. Adrenaline is good, except when it's zzzz time.

This is one of the main reasons I strongly recommend to take shitloads of glutamine (5-10g a day minimum, up to 20g if you train hard or are a big dude.) That really helps. Even if you miss a good night sleep, glutamine, when taken consistenly, it helps to get by. Other things that help (specially if you do the gr4ppl3 or lift weights) are BCAAs. I would say that those are the minimum stuff (and vitamin C.)

On top of that, the product made by Tactical Nutrition - that stuff really helps you rest and recover after a late night workout. Several of us have used it and reported the same effects (being able to get a deep sleep) and increased energy during the day. If you have problems falling sleep due to the adrenaline of a workout, give this product a try. I put my hands on fire for this product. Srlsy.

Another thing that has also helped me is ZMA. Some people report it doesn't do **** for them, so it could be a placebo effect for me, I dunno.

Other things that could or could not work for you guys:

-- melatonin
    -- a cup of linden and chamomile tea (stronger tea == better)
    -- if you are a dude over 30, tribulus terrestris, lots of it.
    -- if you take a shower, slowly drop the water temperature until its moderately cold (you got to cool down to go to sleep - it doesn't help to come from a workout all wired up and then retain the feeling of being uber-hot with a hot shower.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 11:49am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    huh, didn't know that about the glutamine. I wonder what effect its having that aids sleep?

For me, much of it is mental. I'll spend hrs processing what happened, not literally all my concentration, but as I'm eating or "unwinding" or whatever I'll think through or daydream about the class. Its like the television is on and I can't turn it off ( if I watch tv too late/long=insomnia).

The old man showed us a number of concentration techniques:

•Lying supine, tense up every muscle in your body with as much effort as possible while holding your breath. Hold for 27seconds or more then exhale and relax, slowly. Rest there and monitor your heart and body, about 10-20 seconds, repeat this 3-4 times with longer and longer resting intervals between tension sets.

•Sitting or lying down quietly, mentally "review" your day starting with the most recent events back thru to the beginning of your day.

•Place a watch/clock in front of you, sit&watch the second hand move. Focus on the second hand and let any thoughts you have run their course.

These are mental focusing exercises meant to sync your body/brain. Together, the whole unit is a "mind" and if the brain is ignoring how tired the body is, these exercises (more if you're interested) help to restore some balance.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 12:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
    as such I've found myself catching a few punches and getting that nice glazed over can't hear to clearly starry flash for a moment.
    This sounds like you're getting a mild concussion. Are you wearing headgear?
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 1:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    This sounds like you're getting a mild concussion. Are you wearing headgear?
    This was my first thought. Not being able to sleep due to exercise, and concussion-caused insomnia, are two dangerously different animals.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 10:25pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, BJJ, Judo, MMA and Kids Jiu-Jitsu Style: Boxing, Mom-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHoffa
    Beyond that though, my question is, as this has happened a couple times I've noticed after class- just when this happens, I can't really go to sleep for a damn, each time I've had this happen in class I can't sleep 'till like 1am, has anybody else noticed any similar effects? Anybody have thoughts on this? Only ever trained at one gym before this one which was much gentler in sparring, so not sure how I should react to this stuff.
    Start protecting your noggin. Getting your bell rung repeatedly is not good. Either wear properly fitting headgear, learn to slip, ask your partners to ease up, or duck sparring for a while until you get better at protecting yourself. Keep it up and a little insomnia will be the least of your worries.

Posted On:
    11/20/2008 11:33pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, I missed the concussion clue! See a Dr. and if you do have a concussion, no head contact ok? Depending on severity, 2-6 weeks is the rule of thumb I'm familiar with.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast