Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2008 3:00am

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kiddo is right about the uppercut from a tactical perspective. I also think it is best suited to inside, close fighting..WHAM!Power from the ground up..
    I see amateur fights where people telegraph the uppercut so bad it becomes basically useless because even a slower fighter can get out of the way.
    Close, inside fighting with your back against the ropes, best time to land an uppercut.

Razor Ruddock had a punch he was known for he called 'the smash' which was like a combination hook-uppercut. He destroyed Michael Dokes with that punch; but he almost always telegraphed it and was really only able to land it with full effect if he already had his opponent stunned first.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 4:19pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved using an uppercut as a counter to the jab.

If you're throwing with your hips on these uppercuts, it shouldnt matter if it's 90 degree or 45 degree, as long as your arm holds up on impact.

The kessler shot above is a lot more like a jab shot from a little lower body position. It's much harder to use your hips for an uppercut on the front hand, it tends to be a push off the hips instead. In close you can apply a lot more body rotation to the shot, but I usually only threw it as a counter to the jab (I'm lefty), so I'd either hit armpit or dead on the chin.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/30/2008 10:54pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve
    Training uppercuts on a heavy bag? Not a good idea, unless you have some weird bag that I've never heard of...
    I've found this type of bag very useful in working on uppercuts:

Having said that, I've never really been good at throwing an uppercut to the chin, only as a shovel punch to the body or while holding the back of the head with the other hand. I've never been comfortable punching the head in an upward line, but I've done a lot more sparring with body shots only than with the head as a target as well.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    12/01/2008 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For whatever it's worth, I was watching a Benny the Jet thing, and he said to have a 45 degree elbow bend in hooks and uppercuts.

Happy birthday to me.

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 1:39am

supporting member
     Style: Bocksing, ngBJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZ
    Razor Ruddock had a punch he was known for he called 'the smash' which was like a combination hook-uppercut. He destroyed Michael Dokes with that punch; but he almost always telegraphed it and was really only able to land it with full effect if he already had his opponent stunned first.
    YouTube - THE SMASH

Woah. Alex Van Halen got huge.

Posted On:
    12/02/2008 2:31pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb7oTrmmKPk

Then there is the dirty boxing method, as demonstrated here, where you grab the back of the head. Also, Fedor seems to use the "jabbercut" quite often, as he fires from way outside a lot of the times in order to get you moving backward.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastro
    He screams like a little girl as the pain ripples through his arm, shoots up into his brain, and now your dick is hard.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12