Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 10:31am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper
    Wow lots of good advice here. Your title made me expect something totally different. The only thing I want to add is that you really shouldn't train any differently than a man. When it comes to strength 99.9% of the difference between men and women comes down to muscle mass. Chicks are just smaller.

Big lady = big weights
    Not really. There are subtle differences between a man and a woman, assuming both are untrained , just beginning to train or facing a plateau.

Men tend to be better at producing power, women tend to be better at producing work. Men tend to respond better with a few less reps per set than women, for either size or strength (whereas for women, it tends to be the opposite.) Men tend to have stronger upper bodies, women tend to have stronger lower bodies. Women tend (and need to) have a slightly larger % of body fat.

Both genders need to lift hard, heavy and smart to see results. What heavy and smart mean for each gender, however, go beyond the mere differences in sizes between the genders.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 10:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem
    For fractional plates, you can go to www.fractioinalplates.com. That's Piedmont Design Associates, who make some great stuff.
    Link doesn't work - maybe you meant http://www.fractionalplates.com/ . Last time I was there, they were brutally expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem
    You can also get some budget priced ones at www.ironwoodyfitness.com.
    $50 + shipping and no 1.25lb plate? Well, I guess it depends how much she's got laying around to spend and just how interested she is in increments. And how much the clamps at her gym weigh.

Quote Originally Posted by bitchslapper
    The only thing I want to add is that you really shouldn't train any differently than a man. When it comes to strength 99.9% of the difference between men and women comes down to muscle mass. Chicks are just smaller.
    You've got it backwards. Muscle mass is not the cause of the difference between males and females - it's one of the effects. The cause is, in a word, testosterone.

In accordance with results obtained by others using radioactive tracers, estimated production rates were 147 31 g/h (3.7 2.2 mg/day in men) and 1.8 0.6 g/h (0.4 0.1 mg/day in women).
    -Vierhapper et al., "Determination of Testosterone Production Rates in Men and Women Using Stable Isotope/Dilution and Mass Spectrometry"
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 11:33am

Style: Heal-Jitsu..yet again :-(

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sona_Bear
    I'm 5'5", somewhere between 140-150lbs (I don't weigh myself so I'm not entirely sure). I can do 105lbs for squats and 85 for deadlifts; I don't have a problem adding weight every time I lift. I am seeing progress overall; my coach told me in no uncertain terms to keep doing what I'm doing.

As far as diet is concerned, I eat pretty well, yesterday's a typical example:

Breakfast (7am): steel cut oats with dried apricots, cranberries, 1 tbsp ground flax, 2 tbsp sunflower seeds, scoop of whey

Breakfast #2 (10:00am): rye pancakes (made with cottage cheese) with applesauce

Lunch (1:30pm): scrambled eggs with 1 cup chopped peppers, refried beans

Snack: veggies (1 cup or so) with cottage cheese dip

Dinner (5:30pm): chicken stew with quinoa

Dinner #2 (7:30pm): sweet potato & parsnip casserole with turkey sausage and amaranth
    you squat more than you deadlift? how is that possible? are you doing full range of motion squats? hmm..if you can squat more weight that you can deadlift methinks you are lifting with bad form. if this is so - then it might be the reason why you arent' progressing in your upper body strength. have you had anyone experienced with powerlifts coach you? i recently got together with a friend who does powerlifts and olympic lifts and he has totally changed the way i view lifting. up until now i have been lifting wrong. people with experience will catch the mistakes and tweak your lifting. i suggest that you find such a friend or invest in a trainer who actually knows how to teach these lifts properly. my 5 rep max on deads is now 180 lbs and my squats are barely at 110 lbs - but i am now doing them ass to the ground and with good form. my bench is up to 105 - again. now i actually have proper form. i'm smaller than you so there is no reason why you shouldnt be able to surpass my numbers as you progress with your lifts. you can totally do it - just find someone to check your form!!! :-)

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 12:27pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.exercise-equipment-parts....pic-p1255.html

I don't know how reputable these guys are, but it looks like you can swing a pair of 1.25lb Olympic plates for less than $20 with shipping (inside the US).

Quote Originally Posted by dinnerpig
    then it might be the reason why you arent' progressing in your upper body strength
    ... except that based on what she's told us, she is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 2:01pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are ones on Iron Woody that are factory seconds that are more affordable. And yeah, the ones from Piedmont are expensive but are for the most part hand-shaped, so I guess you get what you pay for.

Oh, and good catch on the misspelled url. Sorry about that.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 3:30pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You could always do what Stuart McRobert suggested, and just use metal washers for microloading. I've even seen people tape coins to the plates to add weight.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 3:34pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    You could always do what Stuart McRobert suggested, and just use metal washers for microloading. I've even seen people tape coins to the plates to add weight.
    Yup... washers, clamps, sections of pipe... no shortage of DIY options. So long as the right and left side are even and you're putting on more of whatever you're using every day, you're good to go.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 4:19pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can always put a bunch of pennies (1lbs in total) inside a sock (or neatly wrapped by a handkerchief and a shoelace) and make a 1lbs weight that you can tie to a bar. Not my original idea, I got that from another website, and I know there is a post about it somewhere in this forum (God knows where.)
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 9:56pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    All right... so you can perform your one-rep max from roughly a month ago three or four times now. Based on this, I don't think you've necessarily plateaued.

In my opinion, the primary problem you're facing is a logistical one - going from 55lbs to 60lbs is roughly a 9.1% jump. You could keep working with 55lbs and 60lbs in some fashion (it sounds like this is what you're doing right now) until you finally hit 5x60lbs. I'd assume you'll make it there before another month passes if you keep at it.
    This is good to know. It does justify my feeling stronger, in any case.

Quote Originally Posted by cuatro76
    Other than the 2-3 days a week you lift, do you do calisthenics during MA practice? Push-ups, dive-bomber push-ups, holding a low push-up position for 10-30 seconds. Those are good ways to work you chest and shoulders as you warm up or cool down from MA practice. And since you teach kids, it gets them stronger, too. When I taught a kids Judo camp in college, we did a lot of stuff like that. have contests to see who can do more push-ups, you or the kids.
    I've just been put in charge of running the conditioning warmups from hell for our competitive students. So far I've focused more on lower body (they were doing bodyweight squats REALLY badly, so I had them each hold a bo like one would hold a bar, and squat through the full range of motion), but I could really kill two birds with one stone here. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    That is, if you try to calculate a heavier RM out of a lighter RM (and thus the weight increments needed to get there), you might come up with a number greater than what you can actually handle. The opposite occurs with men, in which they tend to underestimate their heavier RMs. Seems as if women tend to do better with higher reps whereas men tend to do better with producing maximum strength.
    I wasn't aware of this; thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Other approaches are : ...
    Will definitely keep these in mind.

I also really like the DIY ideas. Not sure if I want to invest in plates at this point, but I'll see how smaller increments work.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 11:58pm

Style: Hiatus: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are you doing as far as your lifting routine goes? Are you just doing the Big Three (Bench, Squat, and Deads) and that's it?

I found the biggest gains while doing 5x5 and the Big Three are only possible with supplement lifts. The idea came from some article on T-Nation that I just can't seem to find in my bookmarks anymore. The ideas so simple that I'm actually questioning whether or not I'm just a moron for not doing it sooner. Basically you do lifts that will improve the fundamental Big Three. If your looking to add numbers to your Deadlifts you add Sumo Deads and Romanian Deads to your routine. All three of them are compound exercises that focus on a lot of muscle groups which are ideal for strength gains, but each are a tad more specialized in certain areas in their own respects. The article suggested going as far as adding 4 more supplement lifts, but a minimum of 2 additional were required to really see any improvements.

If this is common knowledge and I'm an idiot for not realizing it sooner please someone set the record straight.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast