221316 Bullies, 4088 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:27am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Post Workout Recovery Drink - Advice Please

Hi guys,

I've been using this for my post workout recovery for some time now:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...ry-xs-(1800g)/

and it seems to be really helping.

One of the PT's who works at our gym has started traing Jits with us and was speaking to my training partner about this formula. He said that having Carbs and Protein together was a bad idea as it inhibits your body's ability to take up Protein and, unfortunately I wasn't there to hear this first hand, said it was something to do with "binding".

I always thought that you should have your Protein and Carbs together but the guy is very knowledgable on other subjects and highly qualified so I didn't want to just dismiss what he said.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:38am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Binding? Psssht.

It doesn't make any sense, if you ask me.

The carbs, waxy maize, glutamine and protein all in one drink makes that stuff one hell of a combo.

Think about all the weight gainer products out there that bodybuilders and fighters use t gain weight, all with at least 40-100g of carbs for servng, I dunno...sounds like that PT doesn't know what the hell he's talking about. He might, but in all my years I've never heard of anything like that.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:41am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard theres a ratio of about 4 to 1 protein to carbs which is the best for PWO, and also that carbs will slow down the ingestion of protein.... not sure whether this is true though!

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:12am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1) The PT's an idiot.
    2) My personal preference is for chocolate milk + whey protein + creatine + maybe a tablet of Vitamin C on the side, but that powder looks to be all right too, especially if you (like me right now) have nowhere to keep chocolate milk refrigerated during a workout.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:42am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Adding to the chorus: everything I've read says get some high-GI carbs within an hour after the workout to facilitate storage of muscle cell glycogen, plus some fast-digesting protein & aminos for muscle repair/growth. I usually drink a smoothie with whey protein, bananas (+ other fruit by season), glutamine & BCAA for this purpose.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Merry Christmas! shitter's full...

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 11:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i blend a smoothie of protien enriched slim fast and a bananna, maybe throw in a scoop of creatine.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 11:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yup, chocolate milk and a bananna. Potassium and fat and sugar. Anything more complicated and my brain explodes.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 12:30pm

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Same here, chocolate milk and a couple bananas, maybe a Tiger Milk bar or such if I feel like I really need some extra protein. Every night after I train I grab that on the way back, usually 20-30 minutes post workout. Cost is usually 2-3 bucks total.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 12:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Northern Mantis Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Asriel
    Hi guys,

I've been using this for my post workout recovery for some time now:

http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...ry-xs-(1800g)/

and it seems to be really helping.

One of the PT's who works at our gym has started traing Jits with us and was speaking to my training partner about this formula. He said that having Carbs and Protein together was a bad idea as it inhibits your body's ability to take up Protein and, unfortunately I wasn't there to hear this first hand, said it was something to do with "binding".

I always thought that you should have your Protein and Carbs together but the guy is very knowledgable on other subjects and highly qualified so I didn't want to just dismiss what he said.

Can anyone shed any light on this?
    That's crazy talk. I deally you want to eat/drink I high glycemic crabohydrate and clean, readily absorbable protein as close to the end of your workout as possible. After a workout your body is full of cortisol (stress hormone) and your muscles' energy stores are depleted. Ingesting the high glycemic carbs causes an insulin spike, which causes your body to push nutrients back into your depleted muscles. If you ingest protein at the same time, the protein gets "spet up" by the insulin and pushed into your muscles where they can use it to immediately begin repair. Also, the combination of the cortisol and the insulin trigger a release of growth hormone, which speeds the repair/growth of muscle. Ideally you should have no fat with your post workout meal, because that slows the absorption of protein and carbs, causing you to miss the ideal post-workout hormonal window.

At least that's how I understand it, but I'm no biochemist. This is a decent article on post workout nutrition... http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/magaz...pportunity.htm

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.trueprotein.com is a pretty interesting site that you can use to custom make blends of different types of proteins, carbs etc. So if anyone is really interested in it that is a pretty good site for custom products.

If you want the convenience of something pre-mixed to your specifications rather than mixing various things together it is a pretty nice site.
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast