Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:46am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Strange Shoulder Operation ... I might need

My right shoulder has been at 50% for the last 4-5 months. Can't really do bench work or presses of any kind. Barely squeezing out pushups. Jits is still ok, I just have to tap early and I'm a lot weaker. Got a cortisone shot and it felt great for a month or two, but it came back bad.

X-Ray makes clear that I have a bone spur that's tearing up my rotator cuff. The doc thinks BJJ is grinding it up worse (kind of makes sense when you look at the data). So I'm doing the MRI and thinking about the operation ...

This is the bone spur / rotator cuff thing:
    http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=48
    I's another old fuckers disease, so I shouldn't be surprised. I guess grappling makes it bad by putting pressure on it and rotating at the same time.

This is the fix:
    http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=49

They grind off the bone spur using arthroscopic surgery. Just a 5mm hole in your shoulder. Seems really slick. Lose the sling or cryopack after a couple days. A week off work? I drive a PC, I can do my job in a half coma, so probably less. But then I read this ...
    You should avoid sustained, repetitive overhead activities for three months. With regard to swimming you may begin breaststroke as soon as you are comfortable but you should wait three months before resuming front crawl. ...

At three months after your surgery your symptoms should be approximately 80% better and you will continue to improve for up to a year following the procedure.
    3 months to omoplata ... Hmmm that sucks. It's just a tiny 5mm surgical hole. What would my grandfather that was in WW2 say? That aside ... I was wondering how long till you can do light rolling? Maybe just work guard game and if anyone passes and starts messing with an arm - tap?

My doc is good, but he doesn't really understand what we do. Anyone done something like this before? Thanks.

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:07am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This info came from a friend who is a surgical student at Emory, so may not be gospel, but I think I'd go the cautious route with something of that nature.
    "If you have this done you CAN NOT put your arms over your head for 3 months. I don't mean should not, I don't mean it's not recommended, I mean that YOU CAN NOT. If you do it will **** up what the surgery fixed pretty quick.
    They say "sustained overhead activity" but really it's just a bad idea to move your shoulder through that range of motion AT ALL. "

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kintanon
    This info came from a friend who is a surgical student at Emory, so may not be gospel, but I think I'd go the cautious route with something of that nature.
    "If you have this done you CAN NOT put your arms over your head for 3 months. I don't mean should not, I don't mean it's not recommended, I mean that YOU CAN NOT. If you do it will **** up what the surgery fixed pretty quick.
    They say "sustained overhead activity" but really it's just a bad idea to move your shoulder through that range of motion AT ALL. "
    Yeah the more I read the more shitty this thing sounds. I will wait for the MRI, but I am really leaning to another cortisone shot and some TLC to reduce the inflammation. I fucking hate not training, and at this point I am still functional. I even choked out a purple belt last week :).

I don't know if I can handle 3-6? months off not doing anything fun. It will probably get me divorced. I will immediately turn into a fat alcoholic slob .. like Jekyll and Hyde thing.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:26am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess technically you could still do jits, just never put your arms over your head....

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:25am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Your friend either misunderstood what operation was involved or is flat out wrong.

Most surgeons will allow full range of movement as comfort allows within a few days of this surgery. That said, you need to wait for the MRI to see how much damage there is to the cuff itself.

Believe me, there are far worse operations to have on your shoulder, involving far longer rehabilitation periods. Before you dismiss this, ask your surgeon how likely it is that this problem is going to lead to worse problems if you ignore it.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 4:52am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my description of the surgery was "This guy I know is having a bone spurred ground of his shoulder and he's worried about the ROM he'll have for the few months after the surgery, what do you think?". I didn't send him the link to the surgery, so he might be thinking of a more invasive procedure or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:38pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just getting another cortisone shot isn't going to solve the problem. Get that spur removed.

Rehab, swimming, light BJJ with a partner that understands you just had surgery and can't take subs on that arm. Find a partner that is in the same injury/recovery boat as you and just work with them. Tell your coach so he knows you won't 100% for 3-6 months.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 1:54pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have this same surgery scheduled for 5 February.

It is something I'm looking forward to as it's been needed for years. The past year has been hell for pain when I exert pushing movements.

Get the spur removed or continue to suffer and risk more damage through time spent making matters worse.

Prophet of Apathy

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:16pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my description of the surgery was "This guy I know is having a bone spurred ground of his shoulder and he's worried about the ROM he'll have for the few months after the surgery, what do you think?". I didn't send him the link to the surgery, so he might be thinking of a more invasive procedure or something.
    I can only assume he thought you were talking about a complete rotator cuff repair, in which case his statement makes more sense.

And what the previous two posters said.

Posted On:
    1/28/2009 2:21pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whatever happens hope the best for the you.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast