Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 6:18am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BCAAs

Its came to that time of the month where I need to buy more protein powder. I generally get this stuff: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...otein-(1800g)/
    The blend of slow and fast releast proteins seems to be rather good, and added glutamine is always nice.

Anyway, I'm thinking of adding BCAAs to my order to take on workout days pre and post workout.

I'm thinking of getting these: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/capsules-...nts/bcaa-plus/

Now is that going to enough? I'm a bit wary of taking advice from the myprotein website, but they do seem to be saying that you need much more BCAA than can be delivered by these tablets and the powder form is better.

So any thoughts?

I'd like to leave this world like I came into it: Screaming, naked & covered in someone else's blood

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:22am

supporting member
     Style: Muay Thai (BJJ hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The powder is a hell of a lot better value, as is normal with that site but the tablets are a hell of a lot more convenient.

Your choice really.

In regards to BCAA's themselves, I've used them and didn't get anything out of it but I know TEM swears by them.

Give it a try.
    " The reason elite level MMAists don't fight with aikido is the same reason elite level swimmers don't swim with their lips." - Virus

" I shocked him with my skills on the ice becuase Wing Chun is great for hockey fighting." - 'Sifu' Milt Wallace

"Besides, as you might already know (from Virus, for example) - there's only 1 wing chun and it sucks big time" - Tonuzaba

"Even when I'm promising mayhem and butt-chicanery, I'm generally posting with a smile on my face." - Sochin101

"That said, if he blocked my hip on a drop nage, I would extend my leg into a drop tai Otoshi and slam him so hard his parents would die." - MTripp

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:36am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well the convenience of the tablets were what drew me to them in the first place. I was thinking of giving a go, then if I see any benefits consider the cost. Really though I'd be interested in peoples views on the dose these tablets give?

Was also thinking of getting the CEE tablets from the same site to give them a try...

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:47am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait! I hope you didn't buy them yet.

IMO, BCAAs are only worth taking if they include glutamine, and only in powder form because 1) they can't fit as much into the pills so you have to take more of them to equal a scoop of powder and 2) powder as more easily digested.

This is the one I use:
    http://www.scivation.com/xtend.htm

I take it before and after workouts with great results. Try to find something like that, with a mixture similiar or greater than:
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 8:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already take 8g of glutamine a day in my protein drink, would that suffice, or are you saying that I'd need to take it at the same time as the BCAA?

This is the myprotein BCAA powder: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-powd...no-acids/bcaa/
    Sounds like you're saying the powder is the way to go!
    Last edited by honesty; 11/18/2008 9:18am at .

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sold on their supposed benefits, although I'm open to changing my mind (I think I get some for "free" with my current whey powder).
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:22am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, my current train of logic here is I take a protein shake twice a day, but nothing specifically pre or post workout. I am thinking of trying to get a good mix of things to take pre and post workout.

I was thinking of getting the BCAA and CEE tablets, but if its better to get the powder I will, and create a post work out shake. From the above advice, this is going to be 10g BCAA, 5g Creatine, 5g Glutamine, flavouring.

Now (follow up question here) should I actually be taking my protein shake pre and post workout with this, or should I be taking them throughout the day as normal and the above pre and post, or protein shake throughout the day and the above with added extra protein/carbs?

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 11:05am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have made the following decision. Please ridicule away!

I've bought more Total Protein, some BCAA, and some Creapure (branded creatine).
    On workout days I will be taking Total protein with 10g of BCAA and 5g of creapure pre workout and the same post workout.
    On none workout days I will be taking Total protein only in the morning and the same as above in the afternoon (about the same time I would take the pre workout shake on workout days).

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 11:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post-workout recovery drink is a good idea. Off the top of my head, your goals are:
    -restore insulin levels to suppress cortisol-stress response catabolism
    -take advantage of the post-workout window to restore muscular glycogen stores
    -take advantage of the post-workout window to restore muscular creatine stores
    -increase serum amino acid levels to encourage anabolism

= fast carbs, fast protein, optionally creatine and anything else you want for recovery

And I've read from credible sources that you'll want to follow up the post-workout recovery drink with a solid meal (or equivalent) to ensure your body will have what it needs to continue repairing and growing. This is where the slow carbs and slow protein come in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/21/2008 10:30am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Got these through the post today, just drinking them now before I go to the gym. God damn they taste bad!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast