Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 11:43am

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Buying an AR15 lower

Since I suspect that Obama will be trying to pass another assualt weapons ban I'm now looking to buy a lower. I want a regular AR15 and not a M-4 variety. I want something that's reliable and am willing to pay a bit more to achieve this goal. I want it to be interchangeable with any upper I may buy later.

Suggestions?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 1:55pm

Style: Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sammy:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here in Connecticut you (and I ) can't own an assault weapon unless we owned and registered it prior to the state ban in 1994?

http://www.ct.gov/dps/cwp/view.asp?a=2158&Q=294488&dpsNav=|

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 2:14pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/specia...lt_weapons.pdf

If it is 1) Not fully automatic or capable of select fire, or 2) on the list above it is not considered an assault weapon.

If you visit Cabellas, you can see brand new AR varations for sale.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 2:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
    http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/specia...lt_weapons.pdf

If it is 1) Not fully automatic or capable of select fire, or 2) on the list above it is not considered an assault weapon.

If you visit Cabellas, you can see brand new AR varations for sale.
    But wouldn't this apply to an AR-15 lower?

A part or combination of parts designed or intended to convert a firearm into an assault weapon, or any combination of parts from which an assault weapon may be rapidly assembed if those parts are in the possession or under the control of the same person.

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 3:02pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If the completed A15 derivation is not considered an assault weapon under Connecticut law you can own the lower. Its all in the list.

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 3:04pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At the present moment only the Colt AR15 and its sporter are considered assualt rifles. If you ordered a model from Bushmaster then you are okay.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 3:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law
    At the present moment only the Colt AR15 and its sporter are considered assualt rifles. If you ordered a model from Bushmaster then you are okay.
    Wow, clad to hear that, especially from a CT officer of the court. I thought I'd have to settle for a mini 14 if I was going for anything, if there is a hole that big in the state ban I intend to drive my SUV all the way through it.:car3:

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:30pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Ruger Mini 14 is legal in Connecticut as long as it does not have a folding stock, see the prohibited list above.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 5:16pm

supporting member
     Style: Firearms, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Check yer inbox good sir.
    "We spoke to them in the only language they understood: the machine gun"

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 10:22pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're going to be lucky to find an AR15 lower out there at this stage of the game, lest you get brutally raped. Whereas before the Obama was elected---lowers were going for $85-100...most are now starting around $150-200. They will continue to go up.
    Most of the guys out there that are catching the most flak are Armalite, Spike's Tactical, and Bushmaster. They pretty much jacked their prices 10 minutes after Obama was elected almost 70-100%.

Before somebody starts some sort of "free market/you shouldn't have waited so long" argument---these dealers had the lowers in stock, and jacked their prices based upon the results of an election. Meaning that their inventory hasn't been affected by the market forces--they just wanted to gouge and rape. If you want to support those truly friendly to the gun industry--- go to Delton (www.del-ton.com) or Aim Surplus (www.aimsurplus.com). They haven't jacked their prices and they are truly looking out for gun owners.

Your cheaper options are always going to be "Essential Arms" or "Doublestar" lower receivers...although in the past, their quality control has been spotty. Many claim that they have good lowers---however, caveat emptor, you've been warned. DPMS seems to be good most of the time and I've personally snagged 3 of within the past 5 days and I paid $140.00 each for them from local dealers.

Where you ARE going to have problems is finding AR10 stripped lowers. That currently is the hard-to-find item. I personally called Armalite to order from their website last week and their saleperson said that they aren't selling any AR10 lowers, saying that they are concentrating upon building complete rifles (i.e., selling an overpriced carbine based on nothing more than caliber size)...as opposed to selling receivers where the average home builder could save hundred$$$ of dollars building it themselves. Long story short, she finished the phone call with "...any remaining receivers---we're going to have to review that situation and they will be priced in accordance with market forces and demand." I jokingly summarized that, "So you're telling me that you're going to withhold your inventory to create demand then jack the prices through the roof and help exacerbate this buyer's panic as an excuse to raise prices? She then got this cold tone and repeated that "Market demand will dictate our prices." I thanked her and hung up...bound and determined not to buy another Armalite product...EVER.

*I'm totally serious about boycotting those guys like Armalite and Spike's. You have rabid AR15/Gun guys out there saying that "these are 'good guys' and they're out there working for us---we need to support them, not criticize them for being businessmen." Yeah...well, "friends" who treat friends like this, aren't really our friends at all. Friends look out after each other---in the good times and especially the bad. You can tell who your REAL FRIENDS ARE during those aforementioned "bad times." Those guys are out there really sticking it to us, blaming "market forces" and "manufacturing forces" (that coincidentally they refuse to identify by name) out there that are "forcing their hands" and expecting us to buy it, quite literally.

Okay...my rant is over, but seriously...support the truly good guys like Del-Ton and Aim Surplus. Essential and Doublestar are good if you're looking to cut cash expenditures. You can go to AR15.com and there are a couple guys putting together mass-orders from Doublestar at original prices (around 80 bucks each). Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Lord Skeletor; 11/16/2008 10:27pm at .
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast