...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 11:29am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Cleaning the barrel on a Mini 14?

A short while ago I field stripped and cleaned my new Ruger Mini 14 for the first time. I'd gone to Big 5 Sporting Goods and bought a .22 cal bristle thingie, and a Hoppes generic small caliber rifle cleaning rod, but when it came time to scrub the barrel I noticed that it wasn't possible to run the cleaning rod from the breach to the muzzle, but instead the only way I could insert the cleaning rod was from the muzzle to the breach.

Is that bad, to run the cleaning rod from the muzzle to the breach? If so, are there any suggestions as to how I can scrub out the barrel on a Mini 14?

The reason I ask is because on the cheapo Hoppes 9 cleaning kit I own, there's some text saying to clean from the breach to the muzzle whenever possible, but if you must clean from the muzzle to the breach to take care not to scrape the barrel with the cleaning rod.

I'd noticed that since the brush is so small, it seems impossible to push it up from them muzzle without some scraping of the barrel with the cleaning rod. When I pulled the rod out I saw some evidence of having scraped the barrel on it. I decided to play it safe and I only used the brush two times before switching to patches.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? Thanks very much.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 2:03pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try one of the kits that has a flexible cable rather than a rod to swab out the bore. That might help a bit.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 8:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Noctem
    Try one of the kits that has a flexible cable rather than a rod to swab out the bore. That might help a bit.
    I've never used one of those before. I guess the next time I'm at a big gun shop I'll ask one of the salespeople to help me pick one.

How "bad" is it if your cleaning rod scrapes the inside of your barrel?
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 9:52pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The main issue of cleaning from the muzzle is wear to the muzzle itself.

Since this is the last part of the barrell a bullet passes on exit, any damage is detrimental to the accuracy.

Being that I don't have a Mini 14, so therefore don't know if it can be field stripped, the recommended method is to try to enter the barrell as straight as possible.

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 10:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the info.

It's possible to field strip the Mini 14, but basically there's still a lot of immovable metal stuff near the breach such that I could not insert my cleaning rod from the breach.

Based on your suggestion, it sounds like I could rest my fingers on the muzzle and "pinch" the cleaning rod as I push it down to try and minimize any contact with the muzzle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 10:42pm

Style: BJJ, MACP (hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, some incidental barrel scrapage can happen, just try to be careful and minimize it.

I've tried the cable-style cleaning "rods" on an M-16 A2 before, works pretty well.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 10:56pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, some incidental barrel scrapage can happen, just try to be careful and minimize it.

I've tried the cable-style cleaning "rods" on an M-16 A2 before, works pretty well.
    Probably good advice on this one.

I've never tried to clean a barrell with a chamber as small as .22 with a cable set-up.

Ronin - the main issue is to try not to put wear on the chamber or the muzzle.

Buy good ammo.

Do not use steel brushes.

Avoid excessive oiling of the bore after cleaning (a thin film is preferred)

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 11:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm just going to throw this out there because I see that nobody else has...try reducing the size of your cleaning patches. Cut them in half or in quarters. Don't use the whole thing (not sure if you are---but just throwing this out there). Also..try putting the rod through the barrel without a pad. If it's tight---consider getting another .22 caliber rod. You might have an oversized, or out-of-spec rod and trying to ram it in there could result in damaging the internals of your barrel. Also...you might try a smaller hoop for the patch or use a jag.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 11:57pm

Style: Hsing I, Bagua, Chi kung

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are you talking about the Bore Snake as well? I use those exclusively to avoid the rod contact; I cringe when that aluminium tube scrapes against the chamber or muzzle.

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 12:36am

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why worry about affecting the accuracy of a Mini 14? You migh just fix it.

If you do want to avoid wear a the muzzle, I've seen some cleaning kits that come with a little plastic cone that centres the rod in the muzzle when cleaning. And always use a steel rod, never an aluminum one--aluminum oxide can form and is highly abrasive.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast