Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:10pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Appalachia Martial Arts Center-EMAT

Foreward:
    -This review is intended to be specific to the EMAT program at Appalachia Martial Arts center. Although a more integrated self defense/MMA class that includes weapon training is offered, I have never attended it and it is not run by my instructors. Their website can be found here: http://www.idsclub.com/IDSClub/Index2.aspx. Pictures and videos of the facility can also be found on their website. Childrens Judo classes are also offered, but I haven't attended those since I was 6. I have been told Kendo is also offered.
    -I selected the Judo icon because I consider it to be the basis of all of our training, although we also have wrestling and BJJ coaches. Eventually even the kids in the TapouT shorts and rashguards end up wearing a Judo uniform for the sake of their trining. Also AMAC was until recently a sport Judo club.
    -The EMAT program website has not yet been put up, and only our BJJ coach's site is up, which still contains information on our intsructors and school. When the EMAT page is up I will update this review.

Explination of Ratings:
    1. Aliveness: 8- Almost all sparring is limited to a grappling range. When striking is practiced (rarely) students are instructed to pull punches during sparring and wear headgear/mouthpeices/ and jujitsu gloves. That aside, regarding the focus of the club, grappling: Every class ends with live randori. Various sparring based drills are used constantly, and all techniques are practiced with resistance.

2. Equipment: 6- Mats are kept in good condition and routinely cleaned. 2 punching bags, jujitsu gloves, headgear, focusmitts, and all sorts of pads utilized for striking are available.

3. Gym Size: 5- We don't train at the park, and it is a commercial area, but it's small, and the building is in poor shape. The matt is a little larger than the size of two of these:

4. Instructor/Student ratio: 9- Exactly what the rating guide says.

5. Atmosphere/Attitude: 10- Self affirmation is practiced at the end of every class, everyone's primary concern is helping everyone else along in their training. Classes are too small for cliques to develop. Class is usually followed with going out and getting lunch/drinks.

6. Striking instruction: 3- Instruction is very limited. Footwork, slipping punches, ranging, and basic strikes are all taught, but sparingly and there is little sparring.

7. Grappling instruction: 9
    - Dr. Michael Carter has over 34 years of coaching experience, is the six time southeast Judo champion, holds a 5th degree black belt in Shingitai Jujitsu, a 4th degree black belth in Judo, and a Blue belt in Brazillian Jui-Jitsu. While in his 50's, Dr.Carter is in frighteningly good physical condition.

-Dr. Rick Sparks holds a black belt in Brazillian Jui-Jitsu under Helio Soneca, a third degree black belt in Judo, and three other martial arts styles.
    Notable Competition Results:
    -2007 Pan American Brown Belt Seniors Silver Medalist
    -2005 Campeonato Internacional de Master e Senior (AKA Masters Worlds) Purple Belt -Champion
    -2005 Campeonato Internacional de Master e Senior (AKA Masters Worlds) Open -Weight Purple Belt Silver Medalist
    2004 Tennessee State Champion (Masters Purple Belt Open Weight)

-2004 Campeonato Internacional de Master e Senior (AKA Masters Worlds) Blue Belt Champion

The Ethical Martial Arts Training system is a synthesis of Judo, Jui-Jitsu, wrestling and limited integrated striking. There is a heavy emphasis on sumbission grappling in order to teach the student to use least force necessary to control an attacker while protecting self and others. Although EMAT has it's own ranking system (white, yellow, orange, green, brown, advanced brown, black, advanced black) students may also attain rank in Judo and BJJ during the course of their advancement.

The class meets on Tuesday (when the emphasis is on BJJ) and Thursday (when the emphasis is on Judo) at 7:00-8:30 PM, and on Saturdays (when the emphasis is on wrestling). from 9-10:30, which is followed by open mat untill 12:00
    Cost (monthly): $60 for one class, $80 for two, $15 for open mat.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    12/11/2008 9:06pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What exactly are these guys Doctors of?