11/14/2008 10:02am

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Wing Chun instructor Criticizes "Phony Fast Hand Punching"

I found this while surfing YouTube.

NO MORE PHONY FAST HANDS

YouTube - wing chun - no more phoney fast hand punching

Has anyone heard of this "Sifu Chrysostomou" in the UK before?

I found this really interesting. I know the chun gets a ton of hate here and for very good reasons! Some being: weak stances making great openings for grapplers, weak fast "punches", I've also heard that _ing _un was a chinese response to western boxers (foregoing the Yim Wing Chun legend stuff). What had me interested was I had a friend (talked about him in my intro thread) who cross-trained Wing Chun and Jiu Jitsu. When he had street fights it was almost against guys throwing the typical haymakers. But one time he asked me to see if I could hit him. I can throw a very good jab and decent hook but he seemed to block or trap most of it so I was pretty impressed. I'm not a great boxer overall though and I do tend to telegraph so *shrugs*.

I think it's good that this guy is at least talking about one of the major gripes against the chun in this video.

FLAME ON

Has entered Barovia...

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:34am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Reasonable thought, but nothing new or especially cunning.

I believe what most people essentially don't realize is that chain punches are an exercise, not a technique. One learns to get faster, to keep aiming at the same spot while one keeps punching, TO PULL BACK ONE'S FUCKING HAND AFTER PUNCHING, and so on.

Never understood the sorta "I'll chain-punch you to death" mentality of some of my oh-so-chunning coleagues.

BTW, I think there must really be something about US Chunners that is *special*.

The videos I saw on the web, especially those that wanted to portray their actors as badasses... Oh, the horror...

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    But one time he asked me to see if I could hit him. I can throw a very good jab and decent hook but he seemed to block or trap most of it so I was pretty impressed.
    ok...but then:
    Quote Originally Posted by resolve
    I'm not a great boxer overall though and I do tend to telegraph so *shrugs*.
    i love it when people offer the explanation to their own puzzle.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 11:04am

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punches without hips = gg

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:12pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um... this is not anything special, as EVERYONE criticizes that stupid video.

Quote Originally Posted by This is Sparta!

I believe what most people essentially don't realize is that chain punches are an exercise, not a technique.
    Um, sure, but that's kinda the standard line for everything in _ing _un. From the footwork, to the elbows, to the shifting and punches, to the drills and even the forms, just about everything is "excercise" and not a specific "fighting technique".

I'd postulate though that the chain punch can be usefull in a fight. As in, once there is an opening to keep taking it. Boxers set combos up this way... you follow a hit because you've stopped the opponent and he is probably not ready for a few more. Spar with a boxer who throws combos, and when he hits you once you'll notice how hard it is not to get hit by the next 3.

Dagon

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:19pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Now If he can only find a way to avoid the ole haymaker and double leg takedown. he could reduce the suckieness of his art a little.

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagon Akujin

Boxers set combos up this way... you follow a hit because you've stopped the opponent and he is probably not ready for a few more. Spar with a boxer who throws combos, and when he hits you once you'll notice how hard it is not to get hit by the next 3.

Dagon

Pardon my chun ignorance, but aren't all chun chain punches straight on? I've found most of the success in boxing combinations comes from the fact that it isn't the same punch over and over. If it is, well, welcome to counterpunch city, population your face.

Unless you mean just the thought process behind chain punches, i.e., keep punching them in the face. In which case I agree.

"I feel naked I was so distracted by your penis"

DETROIT WHAT! (and surrounding upper-class burbs)

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:00pm

Style: Ving Tsun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ Try both. You'll find yourself covering in stupid ways if you're not used to it. Of course, getting used to it is not necessarily an easy process.

I've chased guys down sparring with 16 ouncers on, just throwing straight punches. Most people lose their balance on an actual connect, and their hips are way out infront of them as they try to clinch. One of the tricks is to throw at the last split second though. The hard part is not walking over them or throwing them into walls. :P But that's because I get overly-zealous.

But a boxer who can slip and get a hit in is about to get 4 hits in. I had one that could slip out to my right easily enough. It didn't matter that all the hits were coming to my face, as the first one kept me from thinking about proper facing, proper squaring off, or proper running away. Left, center, under and kicks I had handled... but that fucking left cross of his.

Dagon

King of the Impossible

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:07pm

supporting member
     Style: Grapplomancer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was speaking from my own overzealous days in boxing, where I'd begin a 1-2-1-2-1 combo, and right on my second two, I would get lead hooked over my cross (criss crossing?). I don't know if that attests to me sucking or helps my point. I'll throw it out there anyway. Another problem I'd see with the endless chain punching is that, more often than not, pressuring counterstrikers will throw combinations in time with your combinations and **** everything up, especially if they can start to T-rex your arms (i.e., put them into non-optimal power distance).

This is also all easier said than done. I guess I'm splitting hairs from your original point, and maybe counterstrikers just raep me =/

NOTE TO SELF - MOAR GRAPPLE - GET A NORMAL HAIR CUT - REPEAT

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:11pm

supporting member
     Style: Novice Sub Grappler

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't know they had Jailhouse Rocks in the UK :P
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast