Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 9:54am

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You also have to consider what type of protein you are getting, depending on what you are using it for. If price is your only consideration, than that's fine, but also take into account the type of protein and it's biological value.

The ON 100% whey is all whey isolate and some whey concentrate, so it's great to use directly after a workout because whey (especially isolates) are absorbed quicker than any other proteins.

The cheap-ass, walmart/costco varieties are largely whey, casein, egg & milk protein mixes, which doesn't make then necessarily bad but means that it will be a slower-release protein, better as a meal supplement in the morning or at nighttime to prevent catabolism, and less effective directly following your workout as it is not absorbed as immediately into your muscles.

KFC- In regards to H to the Izzo's supps being largely commodities, I'll agree with you on everything except the omega 3-6-9's, and even moreso, the glucosamine. If you are doing any hard MA training, the glu/chondroiton does wonders to prevent joint damage and soreness which can impede the following days workouts.
    I do MA training 4-6 times a week, and also do some two-a-days and for that amount of training I'd consider it almost a necessity. Also, BCAAs and added glutamine is fucking awesome. Before I was taking them, I was sore every day, and could barely get to the gym the day after jits.
    Nowadays, I do ju jitsu in the morning, weights in the afternoon, muay thai at night, and am still ready to hit the squat rack the next day. Before taking BCAAs, I really underestimated how much supplements can help, especially by shortening recovery time.

I started to watch 'bigger, stronger, faster', but I couldn't finish it because it was too fucking depressing to take the time to sit through.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/17/2008 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    You also have to consider what type of protein you are getting, depending on what you are using it for. If price is your only consideration, than that's fine, but also take into account the type of protein and it's biological value.

The ON 100% whey is all whey isolate and some whey concentrate, so it's great to use directly after a workout because whey (especially isolates) are absorbed quicker than any other proteins.

The cheap-ass, walmart/costco varieties are largely whey, casein, egg & milk protein mixes, which doesn't make then necessarily bad but means that it will be a slower-release protein, better as a meal supplement in the morning or at nighttime to prevent catabolism, and less effective directly following your workout as it is not absorbed as immediately into your muscles.
    Regardless of the mix, I would be surprised by anything cheaper than $0.025 per gram of protein. My liquid egg whites just went up in price - now they're $0.036/gram of protein. Straight casein (in the form of cottage cheese) runs me more than $0.05/gram of protein, although admittedly I'm buying it from the local price-gouging grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by BudoMonkey
    KFC- In regards to H to the Izzo's supps being largely commodities, I'll agree with you on everything except the omega 3-6-9's, and even moreso, the glucosamine. If you are doing any hard MA training, the glu/chondroiton does wonders to prevent joint damage and soreness which can impede the following days workouts.
    Commodity isn't a perjorative term (or at least, it shouldn't be). IIRC, it means that you can get essentially the same thing from multiple suppliers, so they differentiate primarily on price. Caffeine, vitamin C, creatine monohydrate, etc... are fairly simple chemicals that can be made to high degrees of purity without doing anything fancy.
    Last edited by TheRuss; 11/17/2008 11:22am at .
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 6:24am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This stuff: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...otein-(1800g)/ is 1.4p per gram of protein. Thats about $0.025 if my maths is correct. This is their expensive stuff. The bulk whey is approx $0.015 per gram of protein.

Not sure if they ship to the US though...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 7:10am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Multivitamin, omega-3 fish oil, glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM, whey protein. The basics, really.
    Dedicated to legs and the disrespecting thereof.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:02am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by honesty
    This stuff: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/formulas/...otein-(1800g)/ is 1.4p per gram of protein. Thats about $0.025 if my maths is correct. This is their expensive stuff. The bulk whey is approx $0.015 per gram of protein.

Not sure if they ship to the US though...
    *runs math*

Google tells me that 18.95 British pounds = 34.8865389 Canadian dollars per 1800g of bulk, 78.2 percent protein... $0.0247/gram protein, tax included, shipping not included. The bulk discount goes up to 20%, putting it at $0.0198/gram protein.

Not bad, although I doubt the economy of transatlantic shipping. Which one is the bulk whey?

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:08am

Style: SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bulk powders are here: http://www.myprotein.co.uk/bulk-supp...oured-protein/

My bad, I was translating to American not Canadian dollars.

If you are interested in ordering though, both me and Asriel order from there, and we both have a code that will allow you to get a further 5% off on your first order...

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/18/2008 9:15am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I checked their FAQ, and it sounds like they only ship to other European countries, sadly. Still, though, they've got some really good prices there. I wonder if it has to do with milk production subsidies?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456