Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 3:48pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use:

Protein, usually a gainer or high calorie mega shake
    Superpump 250 (caffeine, arginine, creatine)
    Sometimes tribulus (Vitrix by Nutrex is the best IMO)
    XTEND (glutamine and BCAAs)
    METRX's Joint Guard (glucosamine+chondroiton+fish/flax seed oil)
    Extra Fish Oil
    Men's Multi

I work at a supplement store so I try things all the time, and these are the ones I've found to be most important.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 4:31pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    If "anything" = "any creatine product", he's basically correct.
    That's what I meant. Of course I'm a cheap bastard and buy all of my supplements from Wal-Mart and bodybuilding.com.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 5:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Okay, here's my supplement list (assume one in the morning and one at night unless I say otherwise):

Multivitamin
    Vitamin C (500mg, one tab before+after workout)
    Optimum Nutrition whey protein (2 scoops before+after workout)
    Creatine monohydrate (5g before+after workout) <-- not currently taking this
    Timed-release vitamin C (500mg)
    Caffeine (100mg, 3-6/day)
    Omega 3-6-9s (400/400/400mg) <-- will soon be just omega-3s
    Glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM (500/400/400mg)
    Melatonin (3mg, 1-3 before bed)
    Low-carb protein bar (usually third "meal" of the day)
    High-carb protein bar (after workout/between bouts)

Now, the bulk of those items were purchased at either Costco or Wal-Mart.
    I chose generic over brand-name.
    I chose the $1 Costco bars over the $4 GNC bars.
    The only situation where I actually prioritized something else over price was with the whey protein (slightly more expensive than the stuff I got last time, but much better flavour and solubility)

So tell me... given that the bulk of my supplementation is done as cheaply as possible, what am I missing out on in terms of performance?
    I think most of the those items are commodities. The exception being the protein powder, which I noticed you purchase a top brand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 6:34pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You shoud try ZMAs instead of the Melatonin. It increases testosterone and helps you sleep. Gives you wacked out dreams too.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 7:14pm

Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in australia, GNC is pretty new. From what i hear they have good products but are expensive. We dont have a walmart here and to be honest i dont really like buying supplements from supermarkets as they are usually an inferior product. So im wondering if i should become a member and customer at GNC. Ive already shopped there a few times but nothing expensive, just bee pollen and a few pre mixed protein drinks. Im interested in their mens multis which apparently are fairly highly ranked as far as multivitamins are concerned.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 8:15pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    I think most of the those items are commodities.
    That'd be my point. On a related note, have you seen Bigger Stronger Faster*?

The exception being the protein powder, which I noticed you purchase a top brand.
    Actually, the biggest price/feature spread by far is in the protein bars (upwards of 300% for equivalent products). There's also a lot of variation in terms of nutritional content, taste, etc.

The whey protein powder prices are fairly tightly clustered - I think the markup I wound up paying for the flavours and brands I wanted, including the cost of getting them shipped up from the US, worked out to about 15% over the cheapest cents-per-gram-of-protein from local sources. (I could swing 20% if I were to bargain hunt now)

Quote Originally Posted by BENXPX
    You shoud try ZMAs instead of the Melatonin. It increases testosterone and helps you sleep. Gives you wacked out dreams too.
    Victor Conte, who was trying to sell ZMA, published a study that showed effects.
    Wilborn et al., who have no vested interest (that I know of), published a study that showed no effects.

I think I know whose results I trust.

As far as melatonin is concerned, it's been significantly more effective for me once I started following this approach.

Quote Originally Posted by Portillo
    to be honest i dont really like buying supplements from supermarkets as they are usually an inferior product.
    Perhaps if you're buying niche supplements, but for the mainstays, this probably isn't true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 8:58pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That'd be my point. On a related note, have you seen Bigger Stronger Faster*?
    When I made the statement, it was in reference to the creatine comment. Shoud have made myself clear. No, I haven't seen it.

Actually, the biggest price/feature spread by far is in the protein bars (upwards of 300% for equivalent products). There's also a lot of variation in terms of nutritional content, taste, etc.
    I never eat, those (or at least I never pay for them).

The whey protein powder prices are fairly tightly clustered - I think the markup I wound up paying for the flavours and brands I wanted, including the cost of getting them shipped up from the US, worked out to about 15% over the cheapest cents-per-gram-of-protein from local sources. (I could swing 20% if I were to bargain hunt now)
    You can much cheaper generic crap from places like Costco, which sells a brand of protein powder for almost half as much as I've ever seen Optimum for (6.70/lb).

I always heard that ZMA was worthless.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 9:02pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You can much cheaper generic crap from places like Costco, which sells a brand of protein powder for almost half as much as I've ever seen Optimum for (6.70/lb).
    Are you talking about the Designer Whey, or something else? I ran the numbers mentally on that stuff on a previous visit, and it wasn't much cheaper per gram of protein. What's the cents-per-gram-of-protein on the stuff you saw?

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 9:10pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't remember.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/16/2008 11:01pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My ON Whey worked out to nearly exactly $0.03 per gram of protein after shipping and tax... The protein in a 4L jug of skim milk (the cheapest source I've found thus far) works out to about $0.025 per gram. I would have a strong interest in a cheaper source of protein than that.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast