Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:06am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im taking multi 2 whey protien drinnks a day Glucosamine, flax seed oil for Omega3, creatine and lots of hard boiled eggs

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:40am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ON Gold Standard Natural Whey[1], glutamine, BCAA, glucosamine & chondroitin with MSM, Ultra Omega 3-6-9 (borage, fish, flax), Resveratrol. When I'm lifting heavy I take some creatine and HMB.

Recently, I've added a high-dose (2,000 IU) vitamin D supplement in the winter.

[1] I like this brand enough to want to mention it by name, but no one should think of whey shakes as sufficient. My other substantial protein sources per week: ~20 boiled eggs, ~1-1.5 kg of active yogurt, ~1L kefir, 1/4 kg raw milk cheeses, fish (2-3 nights/week), loads of (mostly game) meat, 1 kg of nut meats (walnuts, almonds), ~15 heaping spoonfuls of peanut butter, several tins of Goya chickpeas, 1/2 kilo french lentils, spelt bread & Irish oats.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Ad Hominem rocks.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:46pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Multi, explosive endurance, Glutamine after training, vit C.

Not trainign very hard right now though - school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:10pm

Style: Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Eggs, tuna fish, organic greek yogurt, cheese, fresh fruit and veg, pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds, almonds, wheat bran and raisin muffins.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skillful
    Eggs, tuna fish, organic greek yogurt, cheese, fresh fruit and veg, pumpkin, sunflower, and flax seeds, almonds, wheat bran and raisin muffins.
    Do you know what a supplement is?

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:17pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fish Oil, Glucosamine+Chondroitin, Multi

I had been taking Betagen (Creatine+HMB+Glutamine) but the price has gone up and I'm trying to spend less these days.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 6:58pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kentucky Fried Chokin
    Do you know what a supplement is?
    I think he was confused by my list of food proteins.

Now where the **** is Macho? I want to know what another fit old dude is taking...
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 8:49pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Me fit???? My 6 year old nephew asked me if I was also expecting a baby like Mrs. Macho (ouch!!!)

Right now I'm only taking my B-complex, ZMA, and vitamin C. I'm not much active nowadays, so I'm skipping the supplements.

But when I work out, I make sure I take 5-20g of glutamine, BCAAs, Deca Stack (only when I'm lifting) and regularly switching between tribulus terrestris and novedex. Sometimes I get some nitrix every once in a while.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/15/2008 10:09am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I forgot to mention Tactical Nutrition. I ran out of it about 3 weeks ago, and I keep forgetting to get more. Fish oil is another one; I recommend Carlson Super Omega-3 (I got it at Costco).

There are two supplements I keep forgetting to mention, which I take everyday as part of my diet: l-carnitine and corn-derived maltodrexin. For these two I go for the ones made by Now Sports.

The Now Sports version of l-carnitine is very handy and cheap, a bottle containing 44 daily servings of 1.27g in powder form. 1/4 level teaspoon mixed with water. This is far more than what you usually get with capsules. I take this in the mornings.

The maltodrexin brand I get is named "Carbo Gain", again, from Now Sports. It costs less than $20, I can't remember how much it costs since I bought this huge jug months ago. Supposedly it contains 63 1/2 cup servings, but I only need about 1/4 cup a day when not training.

Each 1/2 cup serving is 190 calories, 47g carbs. And that (or just half of that) to your shakes, oatmeal or even soups and omelets, and that makes a big difference in the mornings. My wife who is now in her 8th month of pregnancy has been taking a soy-based protein shake every morning, which includes 1/4 cup of maltodrexin. Being petite as she is, she has a hard time eating a lot, but shakes and meals like that with that extra amounts of carbs are a life saving.

For anyone interested, the shake contains:

- half a cup of soy protein (about 27g protein)
    - a banana (or strawberries)
    - 1/8 cup of ground flaxeed
    - a teaspoon of peanut butter
    - 1/4 cup of maltrodrexin <<<< - this is the good stuff
    - a bit of splenda.

I swear that by adding a bit of maltodrexin to your diet you will see the benefits in terms of energy after a couple of days.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    11/15/2008 1:09pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Whiskey, vodka and greasy food.

Seriously though, what's the point where all these supplements are starting to be necessary? Right now I have time for 1-2 BJJ sessions a week. Alongside I'm trying to build up my core a bit and am doing various core excercises pretty much every day. I'd think I have nothing to gain from eating supplements as long as I eat generally healthy food.
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast