Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 5:41am

Style: Judo / Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pressure point in football

Ok I was thinking about this alot lately and decided to come back here and hopefully get some insight from someone as to what went on.

Basically, when I was doing intramurals back when I was going to school fulltime there was a flag football league. I was playing for my floor and hall against the other floors and halls. Pretty standard rules, full contact blocking but pulling the flag stopped the runners instead of tackles.

So I was a lineman. I wasn't in the best physical condition but I was a fairly filled out guy. I was having to block guys who were in much better shape than I was. So I figured I'd step up my game and get really aggressive to counter all the extra muscle / weight (some guys were just plain huge muscle/fat). Apparently that really pissed one guy off and he did something to this day that still mystifies me.

He was huge and getting angrier at my amped up aggression that I was actually blocking him. He grabbed my ribcage after faking throwing some elbows at me so my arms were up and he applied this gorilla-grip onto my lower ribs. I don't know what happened but I dropped immediately and had a bit of a hard time breathing afterwards. I had a handprint bruised into my side (the whole grip was imprinted) as a bruise for about a week afterwards.

What exactly did he do to me? Did he somehow wind me doing that or did he hit a pressure point? All I remember is I dropped to the ground quick like my strength was taken out and it hurt like hell afterwards. It didn't feel like having the wind knocked out of me but I remember the pain and I did have some trouble breathing afterwards.

Is that a technique from any known martial arts or did he just do a lucky move using his grip strength?

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:13am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been winded many times fighting from knees or punches to that region.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:20am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just don't see how I could've been winded from a grip, but I guess the hand imprint/bruise tells just how strong that guy was maybe.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:24am

Style: DrunkenWolverine Ninjitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Which side did he grip, left or right? Left you got stomach, right you got liver. Did he go "under" the rips or just the ribs themselves?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:41am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's been a while but I'm pretty sure it was the right side. The way he had his grip was wide with the fingers spread out so some went between/under the ribs and others just pushed on them. The floating rib in that area hurt for almost 2 weeks.

The thumb I remember went under the ribs.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:53am

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It sounds like a bit of liver shock. He must have been really strong.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 7:00am

Style: bujinkan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I can't say for certain it is possible that he caused a spasm in your diaphragm in the same way that someone being hit in the solar plexus would.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphragm_(anatomy)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 8:16am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for all the answers. I was wondering how he did it, if it was a useful technique, something specific to a martial art, or if it was just a one-off lucky bit of hurt. Like if I could perhaps use something similar because after I had felt it I knew it was "teh r3al" as you guys like to say alot.

Maybe he just was really that strong. He did have monster sized hulk hands for sure. I'm pretty sure he was thinking something along the lines of "this guy is blocking me? F- that!"

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 9:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you get your heart back?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 11:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kyukido, TKD, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you're saying that you were playing rec-league sports and some guy got tired of you playing like some roid-raging tool so he put you in your place?

I think what happened was karma, not a pressure point.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast