Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 4:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Muay Thai/Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Another Ex-Bujinkan member

I’m now an official 100% convert from the Bujinkan and have since moved on to BJJ and Boxing full time. I can’t get over how refreshing it is to be training in an environment which promotes raw consistent progress, without the bullshit facade and the promise of "one day you'll get it" which the BJK was all about. I’ll come clean and admit that I was all about the BJK at one point and was guilty of being a total nut-rider, believing it to be the be-all-end-all MA.

It wasn’t until I came back from Japan though that I realized that I was stagnating and that I was spending more time trying to decipher Hatsumi’s rhetoric and mysticism, than actually learning how to fight. I kept asking myself the same question and the common answer amongst the BJK Elite was always “perhaps you don’t get it?”.

It wasn’t just that though there was a plethora of different reasons as well, such as the bullshit elitist cult like attitude of the nose-bleed ranks who wouldn’t allow you to ask specific questions about techniques on forums (you know the one I’m talking about) and then immediately try to shut you down with their blind faith logic if you even contemplated questioning the history or the training methods. In my humble opinion for what it’s worth the BJK is the Scientology of the MA world, Tom Cruise might as well be the next Soke of the BJK, because he’s got all the right credentials!

My biggest gripe though was the Japanese training, depending on the Sensei there was always a mob in that tiny Hombu dojo. It was that fucking packed, people were training on the rafters! He’s pulling in some serious Kwan during those lessons and I don’t see any reason why he couldn’t expand the Dojo, if I remember correctly there is ample space behind the venue to accomodate an extention. I remember during one of Hatsumi’s Sunday classes thinking “this is total bullshit, the 3500 Yen I just paid might as well have been a donation, because I’m not learning anything here”.

There must have been at least 80 people in that cramped space and he was supposedly teaching “classical techniques” which was nothing more than un-realistic fantasy, with no practical application in the real world. Even some of the higher ranks would refer to it as the “Hatsumi Show”, since that practically all it was. It was ok though because I was told that he was teaching at a "15th Dan level", that's why I probably didn't get it.

I’m sure it’s been pointed out many times before, he arrives late, you then all proceed to scuffle around in the human traffic for awhile and then proceed to mingle and drink Green fucking Tea, whilst he paints you pretty pictures. What finally did it for me though was when people were taking the 5th Dan (Godan) test every day until they passed. Most of these people were actually failing! Yet still passing! They’d get slightly clipped (hence failing) but then passing on a “technicality”. It was becoming more and more abundantly clear that everything was becoming watered down and the red flag was up for me. It was all about the $$$$.

I could go on, but I’m sure I’m just re-hashing what’s been said hundreds of times before.

With that being said, it’s almost time for BJJ so I’ve got to jet!
    Last edited by Law; 9/23/2008 5:12am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:05am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Theory
    I could go on, but Iím sure Iím just re-hashing whatís been said hundreds of times before.
    This is what Bullshido is all about.

So welcome to the dark side, enjoy your stay. :pool:

My guns bigger than Scrapper's!

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:23am

supporting member
     Style: Kakutogi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You story is one told many of times around these parts. Don't worry after a few months of BJJ and Boxing you will be the one telling the uberdans they don't get it. Ofcourse they will try to counter you will extremely tired and ever failing arguments like, "Oh what you do will only work in the ring and my secret ninpo gimmicks will work for real" and you will notice that those who spew this the most are the ones who NEVER EVER done such gimmicks in a fight (let alone been in a fight period). You will go from beating your head on the keyboard and wondering how you were ever one of the sheep to simply pointing and laughing.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
    -Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:30am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    You story is one told many of times around these parts. Don't worry after a few months of BJJ and Boxing you will be the one telling the uberdans they don't get it. Ofcourse they will try to counter you will extremely tired and ever failing arguments like, "Oh what you do will only work in the ring and my secret ninpo gimmicks will work for real" and you will notice that those who spew this the most are the ones who NEVER EVER done such gimmicks in a fight (let alone been in a fight period). You will go from beating your head on the keyboard and wondering how you were ever one of the sheep to simply pointing and laughing.
    Thanks for the words of wisdom! I've got a lot of ground to make up for and I'm looking forward to progressing the way I should have been.

The best ever gimmick argument was Ben Cole's epic thesis comparing the BJK to Calculus!

An entertaining read at best.
    Last edited by Law; 9/23/2008 5:45am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:38am

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

The best ever gimmick argument was Ben Cole's epic thesis comparing the BJK to Calculus!
    Oh god, link. This sounds deliciously infuriating.

Kickboxing and physics have left me with a deep hatred for stupid people talking about science, and irrational fear of mathematicians and teeth that itch when ninjers are near

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:38am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the words of wisdom! I've got a lot of ground to make up for and I'm looking forward to progressing the way I should have been.

Ah Ben Cole. He who drinketh the Kool-aid the most. Most pple here have never seen Ben and the term "pencil neck geek" comes right to mind when you see him. However if you listen to nonsense he spews you he would have you think that the BJK turns out uber badasses.
    I remember him saying the he would never "spar" a MMA fighter because it wasn't real but he would deal with him in the street. I told him that was one of the dumbest things he could say but of course me presenting him with facts and actual evidence did little to convince him.
    ______
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
    -Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:43am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezere
    Ah Ben Cole. He who drinketh the Kool-aid the most. Most pple here have never seen Ben and the term "pencil neck geek" comes right to mind when you see him. However if you listen to nonsense he spews you he would have you think that the BJK turns out uber badasses.
    I remember him saying the he would never "spar" a MMA fighter because it wasn't real but he would deal with him in the street. I told him that was one of the dumbest things he could say but of course me presenting him with facts and actual evidence did little to convince him.
    If I'm not mistaken Ben is now living and teaching in Singapore. I've never met him personally, but I've seen him in the TaiKai DVD's, speaking of which I need to put them on Ebay! :israel7va

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:47am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername

Kickboxing and physics have left me with a deep hatred for stupid people talking about science, and irrational fear of mathematicians and teeth that itch when ninjers are near
    To Ben anything like Kickboxing is simply "bouncing up and down, bobbing and weaving." To the Buj all combat "sports" are simple and BBT is complicated and takes many years to master do even though the sport guy would beat them at first many years later the Buj guy will be so much better that the sport guy can't touch him. Extremely flawed logic but one that works for them. Often you will have a Bujie throw the NAGATO Card in which they will say he went from Kickboxing to BBT and he a uber fighter. They don't take into account that one of the reasons he is good is because he was a kickboxer.
    ______

RIP SOLDIER

-Gene, GODHAND

-Daniel Tosh

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 5:49am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by illegalusername

Enjoy! http://www.martialartsplanet.com/for...light=calculus

Registered Member

Posted On:
    9/23/2008 6:03am

Style: Kali/Jun Fan/CSW

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    drink Green fucking Tea,
    With some people exclaiming it was about time for the teabreak because they were exhausted, amirite?
Page 1 of 18 1 234511 ... LastLast