Style
    C.L.F., Hung Gar, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Schools in Sarasota, FL?

Who's doing what in Sarasota, FL? I'm interested in getting a ground game, and FMA (emphasis on surviving things with points and edges). I'm in Venice (God's waitingroom) and can't travel too well because I'm poor as dirt, have an elderly dependant, and drive an '81 CJ with an oil leak from Hell, axles that spew grease all over the brakes, and a trapdoor where the floor should be which makes highway miles as exhilarating as they are scenic.

My first choice was Ray Dionaldo, but he's in Tampa and, unless I can find somebody to carpool or enough guys to split the expenses of a training group, he'll have to stay on ye olde wish list.

Then there's this outfit:http://martin-seminars.com/ Feel kinda funny about training under a skinny blonde M.I.L.F. that thinks WC is a viable martial art, though.

Everything else in the Yellow Pages is TKD, Karate-do, old people Tai Chi, and Hwa Rang Do. Any other options, aside from moving to a less stupid community?
    Last edited by One Round; 2/11/2007 1:52am at .

AikidoBot
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome aboard, One Round! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My inlaws lived in Englewood for ten years and I got to travel to that flat smelly state all too often. Must be the capital of bullshit karatey kids ninja baloney strip mall nonsense martial arts, of the entire world. What a bunch of shitty schools. There's a Shuri dojo near you, and I think that they incorporate Jui Jitsu somehow, but I don't know if that school is crap or not.

Shuri School of Karatedo
    3072 17th St, Sarasota, FL
    (941) 365-3668

Oh, I just googled and Suncoast dojo is near and is also Shuri, and just maybe someone there fights... West Wind was a school that was the subject of a long article (very funny) by a Bullshidoka here. I don't know if the Sarasota West Wing is an affiliate. Anyway, some Karate is good, but in Florida I don't have much hope for finding it. Now in Hawaii...
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    C.L.F., Hung Gar, Kempo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, Florida is the capital of a lot of useless crap. This whole state sucks balls. I can't wait for the polar ice caps to melt and flood the whole damn thing. Don't worry about me; I've got a canoe.

Already been the the Shuri dojo. Not really what I was looking for, but thanks. I found a Villari Kempo school's website this morning. I'll have to check them out. What's the word on Villari schools, anyway? Good stuff or McDojo?

Funny you mention Hawaii... That's where I got my Kempo, Kara-ho flavor. First art that I ever studied and, so far, the most useful (caveat: out of what I've done, and I haven't done that many).

Also dug up a Combat Hapkido place, and a BJJ school under Royce Gracie. Guess I've got some leg-work to do...

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nuck is being polite. Here's one comment on Mr. V:

Quote Originally Posted by PeedeeShaolin
    Villari... DEEPER into the realm of Bullshido. Theres a school right near me inside a dance studio and its some of the worst shiit I've ever seen. If Villari has any self respect he should pay a little more attention to whos teaching at his schools instead of just taking peoples money and letting them use his name. Sellout.
    Mr. Villari has the reputation of owning a Mcdojo chain and being the epitome of the 'watering down' of Kajukenbo and Hawaiian Kempo. Some people have reported that there were some decent Vallari instructors doing some decent things in spite of themselves.

Reminds me of a new bb lady in town. She's Okinawan/Japanese style and after earning her bb was lucky enough to train in the old school dojo outside Kyoto. She describes her conversation with the local Bobby Lawrence strip mall school when she was checking out the local scene for a place to workout, and said she just wanted to start screaming at them.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    Pankration,BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Contact Mike Lee he has a gym in North Port and most of his guys have atleast a couple fights. If you can make the trip to sarasota you should try Wolf pack BJJ .http://wolfpackbjj.net/