Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: Shi Ja Quan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Haragei & ESP

The Haragei is a sub-system taught in some traditonal Japanese ryu's.
    It teaches "intuition" how to "read" an opponet and how to "feel" their presence.

Example of training: a blindfolded student kneels, instructos with bamboo shinai sneeks up and... well either the students "senses" the instructor or ouch !!.

Now, this primal "sixth sense" is something that MANY systems train or try to train.
    That "feeling" that we are being watched, that "proximity sense" that tells us someone is in the room, even though its dark and we see nothing...

Is it like ESP, like telepathy?

They say that "ancient" man had it because he NEEDED it to protect him, but as we become of civilized and needed to worry LESS about our safety, this "primal defense mechanism" went dormant, but it still is there, sometimes we many feel it like "stress", anxiety, nervousness, just something telling us that something is not quite right...

Any thoughts?

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:07am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Maybe, but through training aren't you just learning to use all your senses...So after time training to not rely only on your eyes only, don't you start to pickup other triggers through your hearing, etc?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:12am

Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the moment it is called ESP, people's bs flags go off. :) I know people that occasionally train blindfolded, although I never quite understood what they were trying to accomplish.

With enough practice, you can get a kind of "ESP" because you know your techniques so well you can read what is coming from your opponent by the way he sets his body up. But it isn't a 6th sense, just a development of the existing ones.

Blindfolded drills just seem like development for hearing and feeling. The two combined can give you lots of information without the use of the eyes. Honestly though, I don't know if there is enough benefit from this training to make it worth while... There might be, but I haven't done enough of it to say one way or the other. Grappling/clenching/pushing hands is certainly a different experience when done with your eyes closed...

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:23am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Many of the "older" systems advocate meditation for this purpose.
    The "mushin" or no-mind is another example, you let go of "concious" thought and go on instinct.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:27am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its funny though I believe is true. Something along those lines has worked for me before many times. If you have experianced it and felt it you don't need to explain it. Though whant id the difference between this mystical sixth sense and 'paranoia' ?
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:38am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Paranoia controls your life.
    The ability to "sense danger" enhances it.

Grandmaster Sensei of Village Idiocy

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 8:40am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kyokushin and Judo.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point.
    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got **** on me !!!!

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 9:28am

Join us... or die
     Style: none

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Many of the "older" systems advocate meditation for this purpose.
    The "mushin" or no-mind is another example, you let go of "concious" thought and go on instinct."

The dreaded Montaigue talks about the reptile brain idea... the idea that you have a primitive area of your brain devoted to survival that you can train to tap into and develop instinctive reaction...

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 9:45am

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    we have this practice.

It does 'work'.

personally, i think that you can hear his breathing rhythym change. I cant CONCIOUSLY hear it, but in the course of this drill, when attacked, i do recieve a stimulus to move, although i dont know what it is. the breathing would be my guess.

peace.

Posted On:
    12/19/2003 9:54am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know about the "reptile" brain, but the "badger" brain works well for me ;)
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast