Our Sponsors:

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 9:28pm

Style: Jujutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The techniques of MT are fine for a fight. I am not going to talk technqiue but strategy. The overall approach is a tunnel vision view of combat. I prefer to talk a more hollistic view of combat. A MT fighter will **** you up. However there is a narrow strategic vision here that needs to be explored further.:5ok:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 9:36pm

Style: Kendo, Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I can attest firsthand to the kick-stopping power of being kneed in the shin, I would honestly prefer to not have more chunks busted off my shin by errant hard bits. Plus, as others can and have attested better than I, shin checking works just as well, and has less chances of knee injury, and isn't that the important part?

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 10:33pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just to clarify, you guys talking about not checking with the knee are talking just about the kneecap right? Absolute best place i like to check kicks with if i'm fast enough is 1-2 inches below the kneecap where its hard as hell and doesn't get damaged.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 10:55pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've accidentally checked with the knee before and had it hurt like hell; at the same time, I've had someone accidentally check my kick with their knee, and a couple times it's hurt me more than it's hurt them. But it seems pretty low percentage.

As for the arm on the kicking side being lowered, I was under the impression that the arm is meant to be "pumped" in the opposite direction to the kick to help generate power.

On the other hand, my gym teaches a method where the kicking-side arm is extended directly at your opponent's face as you kick. When it's done on you, it makes counterpunching very hard, and it's really annoying. I think you do lose a little bit of power, but with leg kicks at least, I seem to get punched in the face a lot less :P

I've been working on it a little more recently with my leg kicks, and it seems to work really well. Not so great for the high kicks; I think I'd much rather "pump" those, because otherwise your arm is below the level of your kick, and extended towards your partner. That feels pretty gay.

My instructor says he prefers it to the pumping method because of the seemingly increased instances of counter-punching to the kick. Then again, he also doesn't believe himself to be a kicking-oriented guy, so hey.

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 11:40pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The arm thing is one of those small differences throughout the style no one ever really agrees about. I throw my arm back to turn over my hips and another fighter in the gym does what you describe above, i happen to kick a lot harder than him... possibly not related.

The one thing people agree on is how not to do it. You must have the lead hand protect your face during the kick as Kid Spat stated on page 1.

This is one of those things you hear discussed an aweful lot in the gym along with 'you must turn jab hand horizontally when jabbing' .

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 12:40am

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sang
    Just to clarify, you guys talking about not checking with the knee are talking just about the kneecap right? Absolute best place i like to check kicks with if i'm fast enough is 1-2 inches below the kneecap where its hard as hell and doesn't get damaged.
    Same. It seems to me that since that's not really ON the joint and is a thick ass piece of bone that your probably good to go. Of course, when it comes to a fight and everything is just instant reflex then it gets difficult to decide where exactly at a proximity of a couple inches you're going to take a kick. Pretty much you lift your leg and hope that it lands somewhere in the general vicinity of the shin.

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 1:13am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KidSpatula
    Same. It seems to me that since that's not really ON the joint and is a thick ass piece of bone that your probably good to go. Of course, when it comes to a fight and everything is just instant reflex then it gets difficult to decide where exactly at a proximity of a couple inches you're going to take a kick. Pretty much you lift your leg and hope that it lands somewhere in the general vicinity of the shin.
    Quoted for truth right there :)

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 6:08pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kid Spatula - Exactly, well said home slice.

Sakushin - I hope you were perma-banned for saying something that fucking stupid.

Budomonkeh - AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! That little dude must get you maaaaaaaaaaad *****. He's adorable, looks a lot like my nephew.

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:31am

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Kid Spatula, you've already been QFT'd, but I'd like to add my agreement. When I block a kick, the most important thing for me is that the kick gets blocked. If I get an accidental knee check, great, but I'm not going to try and do one on purpose.

As to bullshit Muay Thai, I really hate it when it degenerates into a Mexican standoff, with the two fighters just standing their ground and trading kicks. Kick, block, kick, block... yawn.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 4:49am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Ninjutsu, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the replies guys, sure does help. I can't wait for my next MT training! Speaking of blocking with knee. There was this technique that the instructor showed me, where when he kicks me, I grab his leg and try to counter attack him with a knee kick. And he blocks me by bending the leg that I have grabbed making my thigh hitting his incoming knee, hence stopping my knee kick, OUCH!

So I think if it's knee ( bone ) against thigh ( muscle ) it can work? But if it's knee against shin is a no no.
    Last edited by War; 11/14/2008 4:51am at .
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast