Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 1:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really don't like Muay Chaiya. Those guys are like... it's like comparing modern San Da to a very traditionalist Kung Fu school which still includes hard sparring and practical training methods. Both produce competent fighters but one group is snobby about it.

Alot of the time I hear "Muay thai is watered down muay boran only used for competition fighting and leaves it's self susceptible to street confrontations/muggers/rapists/ninjas/etc..."

Also: who the **** blocks with their knee? That is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I'm not saying you can't make it work but... why!? If you condition your shin you'll hurt who ever is kicking you anyway, so why the **** would you use your knee!?

Don't even get me started on the stance and "clinch climbing"... *face palm*

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 1:24pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    whats up with that stance anyway? I heard it was because Muay Thai fighters in Thai land had t3h r34l MT and used to just condition the body to take the blows, instead of keep thier elbows in.
    Curiouse.

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hidden Ronin
    whats up with that stance anyway? I heard it was because Muay Thai fighters in Thai land had t3h r34l MT and used to just condition the body to take the blows, instead of keep thier elbows in.
    Curiouse.
    What!? Nah dude elbows in. ALWYAS elbows in. If you're taught otherwise your instructor is ****-tarded. Or they're teaching krotty.

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:32pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Squerlli
    I really don't like Muay Chaiya. Those guys are like... it's like comparing modern San Da to a very traditionalist Kung Fu school which still includes hard sparring and practical training methods. Both produce competent fighters but one group is snobby about it.

Alot of the time I hear "Muay thai is watered down muay boran only used for competition fighting and leaves it's self susceptible to street confrontations/muggers/rapists/ninjas/etc..."

Also: who the **** blocks with their knee? That is the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. I'm not saying you can't make it work but... why!? If you condition your shin you'll hurt who ever is kicking you anyway, so why the **** would you use your knee!?

Don't even get me started on the stance and "clinch climbing"... *face palm*
    I can't even count the amount of training partners I've had injur themselves recently while sparring me when I properly check their kicks. A good, hard check with the shin works perfectly...when you block closer to the knee you risk serious injury, in the long and short term.
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:33pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by codo3500
    A lot of traditional MT guys that i've seen videos of will drop their hands while kicking. My guess is that its just to add a bit of momentum and allow the whole body to be behind the kick. At my gym they do the exact same kicking style but we keep our hands up.
    It's been explained to me that the purpose of this is to counter balance your leg so that you could still fully commit to the kick (follow through, like when shooting a freethrow or hitting a forehand), but it wouldn't off balance you (e.g. make you turn in a complete circle).

So Ive been TOLD.

Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:40pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't DROP your hands though I guess some people do out of laziness. You keep your kicking hand out so it doesn't interfere with your kick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:43pm

Style: Crazy bendy shit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been told that you pull it from (assuming a balacned/classic stance) the opposite side to the kicking side, and foreward to back. Is this incorrect?

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 2:44pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should at least have one hand (your opposite hand), up to cover your face. Otherwise it's bad technique, and will get you KTFO by a good striker:

Incorrect technique:

Correct technique:

Notice it's the white guy with his hands down.

Stoopid lazy caucasians...
    Last edited by BudoMonkey; 11/12/2008 2:47pm at .
    "This is why we are here. Because the Martial Arts for too long have been cloaked in an unnecessary level of secrecy bordering on mysticism, and its in these shadows that the cockroaches love to hide. -Phrost"

And of course, our resident hard man, underground fighter, kitten rescuer, loving father (I'm serious), and over all very sexy furry ************... Budo monkeh.

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 3:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Posted On:
    11/12/2008 3:37pm

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Squerlli: Checking a thigh kick with your knee, if done right, will seriously hurt the person kicking. It's all about where the knee checks the leg.

Needless to say during sparring I've been checked that way (even by a noobie who probably fluked it but still pulled it off none the less) my leg has been wrecked for the rest of the sparring lesson.

I personally check with my shin and that's what I prefer, but I'm not writing off a knee check at all.
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast