Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 5:48am

Style: unemployed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think you(the OP) are asking questions that you already know the ansear to.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 6:15am

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Skepticus

I have a similar yet different problem.

2 of the guys at my company have joined the ATA.

The first enrolled his kids and later started their kickboxing and "MMA" himself. His wife also does the kickboxing and TKD program.

When I learned that he had joined the ATA, I explained that they were pretty cash oriented and to not go for a contract.

The second co-worker's parents signed his kid brother up as it was right down the street.

Despite me having already warned him of contracts, the block system training, etc., he ended up joining the ATA himself. I am his supervisor and as such don't want to belittle his chosen school, despite the ATA being the epitome of McDojoism.

He is convinced he is learning valid MA training. The MMA part is supposedly being taught by a BJJ BB. While finding it hard to belive any self-respecting BJJ black belt would have anything to do with the ATA, I have kept silent to preserve our work relationship.

Does this make me a hypocrite? Possibly so, but at this point I am unwilling to burst the young man's bubble. If it were not for the fact he is having so much fun and works directly under my supervision, my approach to enlightening him would much easier.

He has been informed of this site and hopefully will visit to see for himself what others think of his training methods and the dojo's organization as a whole.

Your friend is having fun while getting a new direction in life. Perhaps you could caution him about contracts and invite him to this site.

Not to derail your thread - just adding, knowing many here will jump in with comments.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 6:51am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Spar with him, and completely own his ass. And maybe tell him it takes a long time before you can become a good instructor.

Try to get across that just because he's not a fighting machine after 4 months, doesn't mean his skills are useless. These things take time. It takes like 7 years of college to be a doctor (i think it's 7, but that's off the top of my head.)

Of course, there's always the traditional nuthugging option of showing him BJJ and getting him to switch styles.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 7:12am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    don't listen to these PUSSIES!

Listen to me instead.

You say next time you see him at some party, your ken/m? po is nice but it is nothing compared to soviet kungfu!

He probably goes soviet what now?

you: soviet kungfu.

him: what the hell is that?

you: you wanna see? its invented in Russia.

him: hm ok...

Now you kick him full power in the balls, empty a bottle of wodka in one go and break it on his head (make sure you really emptied the bottle otherwise its a waste you know)
    Then you piss all over him while laughing like a maniac.

Make sure to make very insultive remarks about his size and sexuality.

It's tough love, but you just motivated him to train harder and more realisticly.
    perhaps even migrate to Russia.

The downside is that in some years he might come back for you being totally trained by some old chinese master up in the mountains, and you'll probably get killed.

but it was a good life by then!

now go do it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 7:33am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That could possibly be the greatest advice anyone has ever given.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 8:48am

Style: BJJ (faixa branca)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP...

I think a problem much larger than the quality of his MA training is his reasoning skills regarding employment/career.

Chucked from one job, un-happy in his current job ----> looks for quick track to another job with questionable career potential. His best bet is to take his new found sobriety.. and use it to focus on some courses at Uni, or maybe trade school.

Let him keep his kempo. Once he has some focus in his life, and isn't looking at Kempo as his new career... he'll be more open to other MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 8:49am

Style: The Gentle Way

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beezer
    Hey, Skepticus, let your friend train his kenpo, but, you could give him the hint to add bjj or judo to his kenpo training. Once your friend starts to real train in bjj or judo, he will see the light.
    This is the better idea. Usually when you outright tell someone what they are doing is useless, they will ignore you. In their own personal world, what they are doing is amazing and it is all that exists.
    Introducing other things into their world and letting them come to realisations themselves is much more effective.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 9:34am

Style: Judo/JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would not tell him about his involvement in a McDojo scheme now, for Kenpo has helped him - it seems- a lot in those issues, which are more important than the aliveness in training or badassery in MA etc.
    Let him stabilize himself a bit more in his life & get rid of his problems for good and allow him to get his instructor's licence, THEN bong sau him and choke him.
    so you can come up and brag about how you gave a Kenpo instructor a sound beating.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 9:34am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Punch him in the face.

Just waiting for the paperboy.

Posted On:
    11/10/2008 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yesh ofcourse...dont tell him anything, keep the gloves on.
    let him do this and that no matter how ridiculous it is, why not give him a blowjob while you're at it?

listen up, he's not your friend, he does the ke?po!
    he is enemy.
    we all know what to do with enemies.
    wodkabottle...you know you want it...
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast