Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:01pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Judoka should all wear huge handlebar mustaches

They are the stuffiest people in existence. I just did my first judo tourney, the ken tamai memorial (I THINK I was in the advanced div). No, there won't be video.

First match I armbarred the guy. Second match I got two shidos and was DQ'd for...something. I believe it was a combination of not bowing correctly, not hearing one of the ref's mattes, and adopting a stance too low for me to be beautifully shoulder thrown in a way that proves All Martial Arts Have Good and Bad Points.

Other than those details, both matches where pretty much identical. I'd lamely try for a sacrifice throw to appease the judges and one of two things would happen: He'd end up in my guard, i'd slap a sub on, have almost completed it and they'd make us stand up; Or i'd slip to his back, he'd turtle up, i'd vainly look for an opening or sink my hooks and they'd make us stand up. This happened at least twenty times total. I also got a total of three single legs, but wrestling takedowns are not in accordance with rules of universal harmony or something.

Edit: Also, after my first match, the ref took me aside for five minutes and lectured me about bowing. And they mispronounced Relson Gracie.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you didn't want to do judo, what were you doing at a judo tournament?

is badder than you

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox
    If you didn't want to do judo, what were you doing at a judo tournament?
    Coveting their facial hair, obviously.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:23pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm tempted to mock hedge, but the thread title is too excellent.

Tsun-Derrorist

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: ^_^

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not like I jumped up and closed my guard, I was trying for sumi and tani otoshi a whole bunch. worked a couple times too, but was never clean.

"The only important elements in any society
    are the artistic and the criminal,
    because they alone, by questioning the society's values,
    can force it to change."-Samuel R. Delany

RENDERING GELATINOUS WINDMILL OF DICKS

THIS IS GOING TO BE THE BEST NON-EUCLIDIAN SPLATTERJOUST EVER

It seems that the only people who support anarchy are faggots, who want their pathetic immoral lifestyle accepted by the mainstream society. It wont be so they try to create their own.-Oldman34, friend to all children

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:26pm

Style: Karate, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dont get the part about single legs.. Should be allowed?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I did a Judo tournament once. I charged blindly and the guy, got throw, and then cleaned up the mats for twenty bucks. I probably still have the video.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:37pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dude. Everyone has had a shitty tournament experience. I don't understand why you're so surprised that you were expected to do Judo at a Judo competition.

I don't even really follow half your rant. There isn't a single wrestling take down that is illegal in Judo. "Fireman's carry" and "kata guruma" are the exact same technique. A "double leg" is called a "morote gari." Kuchiki taoshi and kibisu gaeshi are two examples of single-leg takedowns in judo. I might be wrong, but I don't recall any rules governing stance height.

Judo competition rules are not very sympathetic to BJJ strategy. That's just the way it is. There are many good arguments out there for why this should change. Yours isn't one of them. A tournament is a learning experience. If you don't want to play by the rules no one's going to miss you if you don't show up.

I suspect there had to be some part of you that imagined you were going to roll in there like BJJ John Wayne, school these feeble-minded judoka, show them the error of their ways, then return triumphantly to Bullshido for a spirited round of "LOL, Judo!" and are now upset that the smoke didn't blow your way. It's unbecoming a skilled gentleman such as yourself.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In regards to mustaches: I, being a wrestler and all, have to start trying to work on a sweet Magnum P.I. stache.

YouTube - Dan Severn 2nd: "The Beast"
    Last edited by Holy Moment; 10/18/2008 6:50pm at .

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    10/18/2008 6:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On a serious note, Hedge vaguely touched on one of the core reasons why I'll never do a Judo tournament. No it's not that I'm a BJJ butt-flopping ***** (though I am...but thats not the point), but rather the stringent ruleset IMO puts me at great risk of injury. I don't know anyone who's gotten past green belt in Judo who hasn't fucked themselves up in some way shape or form. One would say this is an example of badassery, but personally I see it as being a product of limitations.

Whenever you limit combat, you get worse injuries because you are left without viable options to intelligently defend yourself. The same happens in boxing on the other end of the spectrum, where, opponents pummel each other, when far more intelligent options could be utilized to mitigate damage taken if the rules allowed.

I'm not knocking Judo per se, but rather the competitive tournament structure. It's just something I'll never do.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Page 1 of 22 1 234511 ... LastLast