Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 3:40pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Norwegian dude gets Shito Ryu black belt in 10 months

Well the article is in norwegian, but I'll translate the article, and any norwegian/swedish/danish bully can feel free to correct me.
    http://www.vg.no/helse/artikkel.php?artid=533603
    Black Belt in record time

Øyvind Hammer has acquired the black belt in the karate style Shito-ryu, and is a member of the karate club "Mizuchi" in Bærum. Hammer has been trained by Geir V. Henriksen, the founder of the club.

Normally it takes five years to finish all nine testings the black belt acquires.

- It felt very good to achieve it, but I was very nervous, Øyvind admits.

Hammer makes his living by motivating others. The last ten years he has been working as a motivational expert for Ole einar Bjørndalen ( edit: Norwegian biathleete.)

He also works for Henning Solberg( norwegian rally driver).

Last christmas he decided to find a really ambitious goal, and he decided to try something no other norwegian had done before him: Acquiring a karate black belt in only one year.

- I wanted to see if it was possible. It was exciting to do something nobody else have done before. Also, the training forced me to train all the time, I couldn't stop for a second, I couldn't miss a single training, says Hammer.

Accused of "lack of respect"
    Øyving Hammer was met with sceptisicism from some parts in the karate society. On the internet people laughed at him and said he lacked respect for the very traditional sport.

The critisicism has now stopped, Hammer tells us.

- When I passed the last test I felt enormous support from the people around me. The karate society had with time understood that I worked hard, and now the respect I'm being shown is entirely different from what I was met with when I started out, he says.

But the training wasn't without it's price

- Some times I couldn't understand how I was supposed to pass the tests. My biggest problem was managing to perform the complicated movements. But I never considered giving up, Hammer says.

The training has also cost Hammer personally.
    - It is, of course, an ego trip to use so much time and money on training ( edit: That's what it says. I think he means that he used so much money and time on training instead of on friends). But I don't think it's wasted, because I've learned so much this year. The karate training has given me alot more in return than what I paid for it. It was incredibly fun. When you learn how to use your new abilities, your self esteem grows.

Has trained five days a week
    Hammer trains in an art called Shito-ryu, and is a member of the karate club Mizuichi. He was trained by karate instructor Geir V. Henriksen.

2008 was an intense year, Hammer says.

- I've trianed five times a week, and you're supposed to attend every single time. In the past ten months I have gone through a five year curicullum. This hasn't been done before, at least not in Norway, maybe even the whole western world.

[ Now he talks about motivation for two paragraphs]

He's going to continue training karate, and hopes to become an instructor soon.

On monday he's leaving for Japan to participate in a karate tournament
    So what do you guys think?
    I don't know crap about shito-ryu, but I used to believe that a black belt wasn't just given because of the skill you have, but also some degree of experience.
    Also he has now given the instructor at the local bullshido dojang to give away his belts even more often, and his students piss me off
    Last edited by Fodland; 11/09/2008 4:13pm at .

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 3:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The karate school down the block from my house will give you a blackbelt in 10 months. So what?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 4:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But is your gym in Norway? Hell, it was only last week norwegian newspapers started calling K1 barbaric. That shows how far behind we are in the martial arts movement, so yeah, a 10 month BB is unusual

Portrait of a BJJer as a Young Man

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 4:48pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    McDojos invade Norway!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 5:03pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    McDojos invade Norway!
    Nah, there's one in my town. He gives out belts monthly in TKD ( no organization) and kickboxing ( does kickboxing have belts?!). He qualified himself as an instructor in Muay thai and krav maga after a few weekend courses too.
    They're just unusual.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 5:09pm

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razamataz
    The karate school down the block from my house will give you a blackbelt in 10 months. So what?

Probably means it's crapola? I heard Chuck Norris picked up a bb in six months, but then, that's THE man. HooratioHooah, a member here unseen from in awhile did get a brown in Judo in 9 months, which was a school record.
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 5:59pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some video of him performing his "skills" would have been quite interesting. There are a few really gifted people out there who can see something once and know it or do a move in a compliant manner and be able to pull it off in competition right away (I am on the other side of the spectrum from these people). If he truly developed the skill of a 5 year BB in 10 months I would be impressed. I wouldn't bet on it though.

This is all I do: girls, photography and BJJ...

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:14pm

Join us... or die
     Style: KeyboardHero/CameraJutsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL I trained more than this guy in TKD for over 4 years and I am not a BB, hence I think it is a joke. He went 5 times a week, I went 6-7 times a week plus competitions, for years... I currently train BJJ 3 times a day 5 days a week. I think either he is "the uber talented" which I highly doubt or it is just Bullshido.
    If he just had to learn "forms", well then, give me two weeks and I pass that fucking BB test. Learning form is super easy but if he had to learn how to "properly" kick, strike and block I doubt it. Therefore my over all judgment BULLSHIDO!
    Sometimes you lose and sometimes the other guy wins.

At this point I don't owe anybody an explenation.

Schools I trained at:
    Lotus Club Cetepe Liberdade Sao Paulo
    Renzo Gracie NYC
    New York Combat Sambo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 6:18pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probably think they gave him the belt to get free publicity; we trained a man so that he developed the skill of a 5 year BB in 10 months. Some people, sadly enough, think of black belts as human weapons, and think: Wow, I can become a human weapon in 10 months!

As for a vid: Sorry. I searched around, couldn't find any. I'll look again in a couple of days, something's bound to turn up

Posted On:
    11/09/2008 7:31pm

hall of famestaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As a rule of thumb a QUALITY black belt should be the result of about 2,000 hours of training for the average person. Lets say he was twice as talented as the average karate practicioner. or the 2,000 hour estimate is twice as much as it should be.

So say 1,000 hours of training in 10 months. Lets say 10 months would be 44 weeks. He would have to train 23 hours a week to meet that goal. Now if he was training 5 hours a day, five days a week he could indeed meet that goal. If he was training a more typical 2 hours a day he would be at 10 hours a week, or 440 hours. That would be way short of the amount of time one would normally train.

If the original poster would find out how many hours each class was, that would be helpful.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast