Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by blankslate
    Christianity is the only religion that gets knocked around here. What's up with that?
    Because there is currently a strong evangelical trend in the US, where many of us are located. If you constantly have people preaching to you and loudly proclaiming their faith as fact you tend to start getting rather short-tempered towards them. This is particularly true because the most vocal proponents do not recognize what you quite obviously do, that religion is faith and myth, not science and fact. When you try and say otherwise you are flat out wrong and expect others to tell you so.

Also it seems that christians are more likely to proclaim their faith than others. The combination leads to discussion and argument, and from my standpoint distaste. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, I personally don't care, nor care to know. The fact that there are license plate frames that say “In case of rapture, you can have the car” is downright pathetic to me.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:28pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When faith is mentioned don't be surprised that the internal inconsistences are also mentioned. Granted Jenfucius started this one but that isn't always the case and conflating indoctrination with martial arts is something I personally have issue with.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    Because there is currently a strong evangelical trend in the US, where many of us are located. If you constantly have people preaching to you and loudly proclaiming their faith as fact you tend to start getting rather short-tempered towards them. This is particularly true because the most vocal proponents do not recognize what you quite obviously do, that religion is faith and myth, not science and fact. When you try and say otherwise you are flat out wrong and expect others to tell you so.

Also it seems that christians are more likely to proclaim their faith than others. The combination leads to discussion and argument, and from my standpoint distaste. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, I personally don't care, nor care to know. The fact that there are license plate frames that say “In case of rapture, you can have the car” is downright pathetic to me.
    R U Saved Doc? Ha!

You are correct.

Its all good. Except for you know who (foolss).

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    By the way, yes we learn that we are to go into the world and spread the Gospel. I suppose this is one place I could do that but I think religion is more personal than "pushing" it on someone. If I am asked, I am happy to share...I think moments present themselves in this case...

I think Bible Thumpers have done more to turn people off than atheists have...

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I read through only part of this thread ....

God does give us all the freedom of choice to worship whatever - whoever we want.

I do realize that everyone is entitled to their own opinions but I also feel that even if you disagree with the Christain beliefs - one can still be respectful to those of us who do when voicing those diferences.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by blankslate
    I think Bible Thumpers have done more to turn people off than atheists have...
    Agreed most of us atheists feel no need to talk about it. We know it is a losing battle, you can't ever convince someone that their faith is misplaced. Creationists are another story.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:39pm

Style: Chu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by Dochter
    This is particularly true because the most vocal proponents do not recognize what you quite obviously do, that religion is faith and myth, not science and fact. When you try and say otherwise you are flat out wrong and expect others to tell you so.
    Did you really not know that the only other theory that attempts to explain our existance is just that? A theory? A theory that has not been proven any more than the creation theory. There are huge gaps in the theory of evolution and the Big Bang THEORY. So my friend you to have faith. You have faith in different theories than myself but that doesn't make my theory a "myth" any more than it does yours. And if science were so FACTUAL then why have there been so many new scientific advances (even within our lifetimes) that have completely re-writen what was once believed to be "scientific fact"? Or go back a little further and examine the medical field.

WEIGHTING

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You are going to burn in Hell for that Sig! :)

I cannot shed some doubts about the Creation Story, Jesus' Divinity and the authenticity of the Book of Revelation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:42pm

Style: Chu-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Christians have simply come to accept that faith will always be required. Scientist have not yet come to this conclusion. That doesn't make them bad people though. A little behind or maybe less intelligent but not bad.

Neutral, or nearly so

Posted On:
    12/10/2003 1:42pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are huge gaps in the theory of evolution and the Big Bang THEORY. So my friend you to have faith. You have faith in different theories than myself but that doesn't make my theory a "myth" any more than it does yours. And if science were so FACTUAL then why have there been so many new scientific advances (even within our lifetimes) that have completely re-writen what was once believed to be "scientific fact"? Or go back a little further and examine the medical field
    empirical and observaional evidence exists for evolution, lots of it.
    none exists for any other "theory" some really old and contradictory anecdotal evidence is all there is.

creationists have no understanding of science, as demonstrated by their misunderstanding of "theory"
    try and get any scientist to formally lay down a "scientific fact" and see what you get.
Page 1 of 59 1 23451151 ... LastLast