I must fly to Florida so you may train me in the ways of such awesome

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 1:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would stay away from most supplements as much as possible. Some of them may actually work but many are not reviewed by FDA or any third party source.

Rule of thumb is to get as many of your nutrients from actual food.

I only take a multivitamin and B supplement as recommended by my doctor for various reasons. But until I see solid proof of a significant improvement from certain supplements, I would recommend against them. For example, many people drink protein shakes even though they eat a shitload of protein already--in other words they are just pissing away the protein their body cannot absorb.

In cases like protein shakes, its not so much the supplement as it is the person taking it. If you take it as a meal replacement or something, then it is a reasonable low-calorie substitute that can provide your body with the necessary protein it needs. If you are taking protein shakes even though you already consume sufficient protein, then you are probably paying for really expensive urine.

Concerning tea, I would stick to drinking actual tea over intaking green tea supplements. This is because there are probably little if any studies showing that such supplements work and because if you are drinking tea you are probably not drinking soda which is also good.

Again, it's best to get your vitamins/minerals from eating versus supplements. But if you really have to, keep it a a minimal or get advice from a doctor.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 3:22am

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The effects of levetrotheanine are rather well documented and understood. It has good oral bioavailability and even mild cocaine-like effects.

A lot of assholes like to take advantage of the fact that most people like to pretend they understand medical science when really they don't, and over hype their ads with sciencey words to make their ads seem like research studies. But that doesn't mean that all supplements are bad.

Levetrotheanine is the **** (I don't know much about the dextro isomer, or even if there is one!) It's also inexpensive. And, you don't have to drink tea like a chinaman.

And dude, there's no way on God's green earth you can eat a level of calories that won't make you fat and still get all the vitamins you need. Take a fucking multi. It's good for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cullion
    You sound like a foaming-at-the-mouth-loon out of Dr. Strangelove.
    Sometimes, we put Ricin in the Cocaine. :ninja7:

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/24/2008 10:36am

Join us... or die
     Style: None

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    The effects of levetrotheanine are rather well documented and understood.
    Uh, I just ran a Google search for "levetrotheanine", and it came back with no hits. I'm assuming you mean L-theanine (levo-theanine, although nobody calls it that, either).

In any case, since it's "the ****"... is it supposed to do anything in particular? The only reference I've found thus far to any performance-enhancing effect is this study about fat loss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 12:09am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by H TO THE IZZO
    Uh, I just ran a Google search for "levetrotheanine", and it came back with no hits. I'm assuming you mean L-theanine (levo-theanine, although nobody calls it that, either).

In any case, since it's "the ****"... is it supposed to do anything in particular? The only reference I've found thus far to any performance-enhancing effect is this study about fat loss.
    Agreed, the placebo effect is a beautiful thing. I don't know anything about this particular supplement, but in general people may only see results because they believe the supplement to work.

I definitely wouldn't take anything without third party studies, FDA, and/or NIH approval. Hell, even some nutrients that have sufficient evidence that they are beneficial have controversy surrounding their effectiveness in pill form (e.g. fish oil).

You can really eat most if not all the nutrients your body needs daily while maintaining a reasonable caloric intake. Obviously if you want to get 1000% of X Y Z micronutrient then you are gonna need to eat more; even though most of these micronutrients don't have sufficient evidence that they are beneficial.

Varying your diet and taking a multivitamin should cover all your bases.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 12:22am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdantes13
    Agreed, the placebo effect is a beautiful thing.
    Well, I'm not calling placebo, I'm just not sure what the stuff's for.

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 7:36am

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theanine

you could start with a wikipedia article on the subject. He misspelled it, but thats not really a problem in the long run. sencha has the highest concentration of any tea of this chemical and there are quite a few studies showing benefits from it.
    http://woodwardswhiskey.wordpress.com/

He was punching him like the collective karmic debt he'd accrued was coming to collections, mostly on his face.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/25/2008 11:17am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jubei33
    you could start with a wikipedia article on the subject.
    ... actually, I started with the Wikipedia article for green tea, which is how I figured out what chemical he was actually referring to.

Now, if you take a look at the Wikipedia article that you linked me to, you'll notice that all of the benefits listed there fall under two categories:

1) "psychoactive properties"
    2) "immune response"

So please go back and look at my original question:

(emphasis added)

In the future, you can safely assume that if I ask a question (rhetorical or otherwise), I've already consulted Wikipedia and Google (and probably Google Scholar) at some length.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 6:42am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ... actually, I started with the Wikipedia article for green tea, which is how I figured out what chemical he was actually referring to.

Now, if you take a look at the Wikipedia article that you linked me to, you'll notice that all of the benefits listed there fall under two categories:

1) "psychoactive properties"
    2) "immune response"

So please go back and look at my original question:

(emphasis added)

In the future, you can safely assume that if I ask a question (rhetorical or otherwise), I've already consulted Wikipedia and Google (and probably Google Scholar) at some length.

Errr if I may be so presumptuous -

You may look them up on google and even wikipedia and get certain answers but other can look at the same searches and come up with a different angle from the same information

According to the below you are asking about performance enhancing effects.

There was a little more in there besides what was actually presented hopefully I can help build the bridge between presented material and importance in regard to performance enhancement

Lets me focus on psychoactive properties -

Alpha waves is a relaxed alertness which increases overall awareness. We spend most of our early childhood in alpha waves and only move into beta waves as we grow older.

We learn a great deal more between birth and six years of age than we do during any other six year period in our lives. This would indicate being in a alpha state improves learning new things not only mental things such as talking but physical activities such as walking. So relaxed alpha waves increases our over all awareness

regarding

Effect of Theanine, r-Glutamylethylamide, on Brain Monoamines and Striatal Dopamine Release in Conscious Ra

Theanine administration caused significant increases in serotonin and/or DA concentrations in the brain, especially in striatum, hypothalamusand hippocampus.

Serotonin elevates mood and dopamine effects things like feelings reward and conscious control of attention span and focus , specifically with regards to hippocampus which is believed to be linked to memory retention via selective attention span.

physical body building wise admitted okay no real earth shattering differences there except some of these brain regions are also associated with coordination and movement, physical awareness

A good immune system is important to keep one from acquiring illness but what was over looked in the presentations was why this was worth mentioning in regards to performance

It helps in may ways with relaxed mental alertness, and memory retentions as well as mood stabilization and positive effects upon the "reward centers" of the brain. After all our performance begins in the brain therefore it is only logical that any thing that improves the performance of that organ would also be an improvement in over all performance of the individual.

Any way that is what I got out of the present materials. I hope this help shed some light in regards to the importance of "psychoactive properties" in regard to performance.

is badder than you

Posted On:
    11/27/2008 11:12am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Point_Blank
    Alpha waves is a relaxed alertness which increases overall awareness. We spend most of our early childhood in alpha waves and only move into beta waves as we grow older.

We learn a great deal more between birth and six years of age than we do during any other six year period in our lives. This would indicate being in a alpha state improves learning new things not only mental things such as talking but physical activities such as walking. So relaxed alpha waves increases our over all awareness
    This is a non-sequitur unless and until a causal relationship is demonstrated between alpha-wave activity and learning ability. Last I checked, neurology and neurochemistry were still very much black-box fields on the macro scale.

regarding

Effect of Theanine, r-Glutamylethylamide, on Brain Monoamines and Striatal Dopamine Release in Conscious Ra

Theanine administration caused significant increases in serotonin and/or DA concentrations in the brain, especially in striatum, hypothalamusand hippocampus.
    For this to be relevant, we'd need a demonstration of L-theanine change in alpha wave patterns in humans (not rats) - something like this, except double-blinded, placebo-controlled, and announced in advance to force publication of a null result.

Then we still need to demonstrate the causal relationship as noted above.

After all our performance begins in the brain therefore it is only logical that any thing that improves the performance of that organ would also be an improvement in over all performance of the individual.
    Are there any credible studies that demonstrate improved performance as a result of L-theanine? That'd let us skip the back-of-the-envelope neurochemistry.

Example: Something like this... (although it looks like L-theanine only shows an effect as a synergist to the caffeine)
    Last edited by TheRuss; 11/27/2008 11:17am at .
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast