Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:41pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are a lot of delicious tasty plants that humans can eat and digest and get all kinds of wonderful nutrients from. After thousands of years of agriculture with selective breeding.

What kind of wild plants can humans eat and in what abundance do they exist?

What wild plants do you eat to make up the majority of your diet in the winter months? Ones that can walk, fly or swim:

"Diet
    See also: Inuit diet

The Inuit have traditionally been hunters and fishers. They hunted, and still hunt, whales, walruses, caribou, seals, polar bears, muskoxen, birds, and at times other less commonly eaten animals such as foxes. The typical Inuit diet is high in protein and very high in fat - in their traditional diets, Inuit consumed an average of 75% of their daily energy intake from fat.[11] While it is not possible to cultivate plants for food in the Arctic, gathering those that are naturally available has always been typical. Grasses, tubers, roots, stems, berries, and seaweed (kuanniq or edible seaweed) were collected and preserved depending on the season and the location.[12][13][14][15][16]

Anthropologist Vilhjalmur Stefansson lived with and studied a group of Inuit.[17] The study focused on the fact that the Inuit's extremely low-carbohydrate diet had no adverse effects on Stefansson's health, nor that of the Inuit. Stefansson (1946) also observed that the Inuit were able to get the necessary vitamins they needed from their traditional winter diet, which did not contain plant matter. In particular, he found that adequate vitamin C could be obtained from items in the Inuit's traditional diet of raw meat such as Ringed Seal liver and whale skin (muktuk). While there was considerable scepticism when he reported these findings, they have been borne out in recent studies.[18]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuit

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Horus
    We can even eat each other! But choose not to, for some reason
    And this relates to Tonu'z explanation that our capacity of eating anything is both a biological advantage and an evolutionary adaption because.....?
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:52pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see three threads here: (1) Some examples of good vegetarian and vegan diets for athletes; (2) a discussion of how to de-stink gis, and whether dietary factors contribute to said stinkiness; (3) the retarded re-tread over whether meat is part of a healthy human diet, preferably interpolated with simultaneous recitations of Zionists v Palestinians and Faith v Reason. In Trollshido.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 12:56pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlas Shat
    No it doesn't. I've been eating it my whole life. Come by my gym and I will allow you to examine my smooth yet elegant nipples.
    genistein (2.5 mg s.c./kg of body weight/day for 9 days) reduced testicular and serum testosterone concentrations, pituitary LH-content and prostate weight.

http://www.soyonlineservice.co.nz/07abstract.htm

Genistein exerts estrogen-like effects in male mouse reproductive tract.</SPAN>
    Mol Cell Endocrinol 1998 Sep 25;144(1-2):83-93
    Strauss L, Makela S, Joshi S, Huhtaniemi I, Santti R.
    University of Turku, Institute of Biomedicine, Department of Anatomy and Medicity Research Laboratory, Turku, FinlanD

I'm just sayin....

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:15pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    And this relates to Tonu'z explanation that our capacity of eating anything is both a biological advantage and an evolutionary adaption because.....?
    Because being able to eat each other is an advantage if we're put in a position where there are no animals, minerals or vegetables to eat.

Apparently it tastes like veal. And let's face it we've all thought about it. Right guys?........guys?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:25pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    I'd like to see three threads here: (1) Some examples of good vegetarian and vegan diets for athletes; (2) a discussion of how to de-stink gis, and whether dietary factors contribute to said stinkiness; (3) the retarded re-tread over whether meat is part of a healthy human diet, preferably interpolated with simultaneous recitations of Zionists v Palestinians and Faith v Reason. In Trollshido.
    I would like to encourage this as well. I feel bad for stinking up the thread.

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:26pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by A.D.D
    Inuit diet
    The Inuit diet is a pretty extreme example. Not the most extreme, mind you. That would be the Reindeer Chukchi, who remain healthy on a diet of nothing but... well, reindeer. The reindeer are able to chew through the ice to eat a kind of tundra lichen that is basically useless to humans. The humans get everything they need from eating every part of the reindeer, and use the sinews and hides to make their leather yurts and clothing.

Q. What's for breakfast, ma?
    A. Reindeer milk.
    Q. Lunch?
    A. Reindeer stew.
    Q. Dinner?
    A. Reindeer steak.
    Q. Dessert?
    A. Reindeer parfait.

... one might infer from the fact that there are peoples who survive entirely without vegetable products, but absolutely no peoples that survive entirely without animal products[1], to indicate that animal products are an essential part of the diet that our species evolved to consume.

[1] "Animal products" includes dairy, insects, &c, and I'm discounting the modern practice of using artificial supplements to make up for the deficiencies of a vegan diet.

DISCLAIMER: Sorry, couldn't help it.
    Last edited by Jack Rusher; 11/14/2008 1:27pm at . Reason: Added apology.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 1:55pm

Style: Chinese Martial Arts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Plus the Inuit suffer from pretty intense levels of heart disease.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 2:15pm

Style: Judo newb

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Was thinking of mentioning the studies showing a correlation between life expectancy and percentage of meat in a culture's diet. I had heard that high meat percentage was associated with lower life expectancy, but I remember reading about that being disproven. The case study was on the Inuit people.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 2:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Fish Oil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EmetShamash
    Plus the Inuit suffer from pretty intense levels of heart disease.
    Now that they eat a more S.A.D. or S.W.D. (standard American or standard Western diet).
Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13141516 ... LastLast