Page 1 of 4 1234 Last

Thread: Learning Kicks

Style
    none
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Learning Kicks

Hello, I'm new. I want to start by saying that I am in serious need of discipline and thus considered taking some form of martial arts for a matter of months. However, I am going to wait until I finish school to do so, which won't be too far from this month.

Anyway, I haven't done a lot of research besides figuring out that every style appeals differently to every person. Knowing this, I am sure that I want to use my legs and knees more than fists.

I work as a waiter, so I will predict that my legs are in good shape since I never feel pain and have to walk back and forth nonstop most days of work. At home, however, I usually am so discouraged due to family issues that all I do is usually smoke marijauna, and I know this has taken a toll on my lung capacity and I know it's not good, but the situation blah blah blah you get it. I will quit using it within this next year.

Anywho, if anyone can give me any tips on basic kicks, body mechanics for kicks, leg exercises, or general wellness tips, I'm all ears. Thanks a million in advance

GhostOfKimura
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So Tytree, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo.

Style
    None
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Welcome to Bullshido. Here's my advice for you:
    1) Find a local school that offers quality instruction (with aliveness, for starters)
    2) Attend regularly and be on time and ready to go
    3) Pay attention to the instructor and do what they tell you
    4) Work hard even when you're tired

This will end with a much better outcome than asking t3h intern3tz for tips.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    Downstreet on the flip-flop, timepants.

Style
    SAMBO, jiu jitsu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    smoking dope is not your problem; you have to become a motivated pothead and you'll be fine!

1. Try doing squats in between bonghits
    2. When dusting the bowl, do lunges
    3. While making your third bowl of cookie crisp, jump up and down, over and over again to boost your puny lung capacity.

Welcome to Bullshido, home of the motivated junkie!

Style
    Shorin Ryu
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tytree -

First off, welcome to Bullshido. Lots of great people here and you'll learn a lot, but be ready to be challenged (abused) frequently and make sure you think before you speak - er, type - especially being a young noob who hasn't started training yet.

The other thing, congrats on deciding to make a change. Take it from a former "misguided youth" who made a real change in my own life by changing from smoking dope to going to the dojo, it's definitely worth it. And no, you don't have to become a monk to train (just because we're dedicated doesn't mean we're angels), but definitely try to scale back (or quit) some of your less wholesome habits and NEVER EVER EVER (did I emphasize that enough?) show up to the dojo with anything in your system. If you don't get the **** kicked out of you and thrown out, sooner or later either you or your training partner will get hurt.

And don't worry about starting your technique training early. Without an instructor actively teaching you, chances are you'll pick up more bad habits than good, and different styles have different areas they emphasize in kicks. But if you start running/biking, stretching a LOT, and doing things like squats and leg extensions you'll be in pretty good shape. But still expect to be sore as hell for the firs few weeks. Almost no way around it.

As far as styles go, Tae Kwon Do is probably the most kick-oriented style out there. Unfortunately about 90% of all TKD dojos out there are complete ****. Lots of 7 uear old black belts in purple satin uniforms jumping around and doing somersalts so their parents can take pictures. And little to no real contact - sparring is "light contact only" with so much body armor on that you wouldn't know a real hit until somebody did hit you for real and knocked you out

Another style that will give you good kicking skills is Muay Thai, and they usually train for real. But depending on where you live, there may not be any real MT schools around, just TKD or Kempo schools where someone takes a weekend seminar and then they charge you extra for the "special" training their newfound experts give.

The best thing to do is start now to scope out schools in your area that you can realistically get to on a regular basis. Go watch a couple of classes in each one - even if you don't think it's for you go anyway just to see what's out there. After you have narrowed down to 3 or 4 schools, do in depth research on them. Check out their website, talk to their students, search to see if they have been reviewed here, and if all else fails, see if someone here knows of them.

Anyway, I think I've babbled on enough - good luck, and let us know how the search goes.

Style
    Shotokan Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ok so your interested in learning kicks, then may I suggest that you try karate, taekwondo or sport kickboxing as your first martial art. and hopefully you may decide that you have chosen the right martial art for you seeing that your interested in kicking.

Style
    MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Muay Thai has great overall for conditioning, good habits, and kicks. TKD has great kicks but also a lot of bad habits depending on the style/organization/school (and it's hard to find a good one as there are bajillions of them, most being McDojahngs).

I'd scout for a MT school and see what you find locally. A good way to see is go to the local cage fights and look at what teams are there, what gyms they're out of. Start with those I'd say.

Style
    Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez

Style
    MCMAP, Israeli Krav Maga
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Walking around is not the same as having strong legs. Once you start opening your hips up and throwing some real kicks you will feel the pain -- its a totally different set of muscles.

Good luck, and ditch the dope. almost every martial arts school in the country has cops in it. The **** is worthless anyway.

Style
    Kitty Pow Pow!!!
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, join some sort of kickboxing school if you want to learn how to throw good kicks. Only take TKD if you're too much of a dweeb for a good martial art and want something that will kind of help you have loose legs for when you start throwing real kicks.

Also, marijuana is not dope, ya dopes.

Page 1 of 4 1234 Last