Do you eat breakfast?

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Kitty Pow Pow!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Not wishing to derail, but do you guys who use headgear find that you're more likely to get hit while wearing it?

Let me clarify - I'm not talking about the head being a bigger target, so therefore is more likely to be hit, I'm talking about whether you're less likely to slip, or use head movement because you have (consciously or sub-consciously) the notion that it will hurt less if you eat the occasional jab?

No. I do however find that I get hit much more with headgear that has cheek protection since it totally screws up my peripheral vision.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:15pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i used to hate boxing gloves and only wanted to use MMA gloves. then i started hitting people harder (and getting hit harder) and learned to love the added level of contact that boxing gloves allow. now i am the guy who insists on students using boxing gloves for my class.

i used to hate headgear (lots of the same reasons already posted.) then i fractured my orbital, and wearing it ceased being a choice. once i got used to it (the blue bomber that someone else posted about) it didn't bother me as much as it used to, and i definitely make the noobs wear it during sparring. the more advanced guys get more leeway.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kickboxing, swashbuckling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sochin101
    Not wishing to derail, but do you guys who use headgear find that you're more likely to get hit while wearing it?

Let me clarify - I'm not talking about the head being a bigger target, so therefore is more likely to be hit, I'm talking about whether you're less likely to slip, or use head movement because you have (consciously or sub-consciously) the notion that it will hurt less if you eat the occasional jab?
    I look at it this way: I could just let them hit me while I swing away, but letting myself get hit isn't making me any better at fighting. So I continue to use/develop my defence, even during sparring when I probably won't be getting knocked out regardless.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 4:25pm

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear it in boxing, not in kyokushin. My first headgear experience was training nippon kempo; we wore bogu, men, and boxing guards. I hated it, because I couldn't slip as effectively. When I would slip with just my head (instead of the more full-body slipping I do now) the lower edge of my men would hit the shoulder of my bogu, and stop my head from tipping as far as I wanted. So instead of cleanly slipping past a punch, I would bang my helmet into my shoulder and get punched in the (armored) face anyway. Not fun. That's why I avoided headgear until my boxing coach made me wear it, and now that I'm using headgear that isn't a f%#king kendo helmet, I'm learning to appreciate it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 5:46pm

Style: MMA + Harmonica

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wear the Twins MT headgear with the chin and cheek protection.
    The headgear because i don't want to get cut and explain that i get punched in the face for a hobby, and the cheek protection because i'm a big ole softie with a huge nose.

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I use this:

And I like it a lot. It ends up serving much the same function as wrestling headgear, which is protecting me from the horrors of cauliflower ear and giving me something to tuck my hair under.
    It also Cuts down on the potential damage of accidental (or, in some cases, intentional :P) headbutts.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 1:03am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJnoob,kickboxing(hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I almost always wear it when I spar. (The exception being if I'm moving around with someone very lightly.) Don't have to worry about cuts/black eyes, helps protect a little bit.

While I myself wouldn't mind if I got a black eye or bruises, walking around with cuts and the like on the face would def. make people question about me.

. Not to mention all the bullshit I would get from living in a college town, particularly from the OMGMMA-AFFLICTIONTAPOUT crowd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 2:21am

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I love headgear. I also like the ones with cheek protection because I found that, for whatever reason, when I get hit my contact lenses slip less. Which is a good thing considering that slightly obscured peripheral vision is way more preferable then being blind.

Actual Photo

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 3:07am

supporting member
     Style: Recovery-Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMightyMcClaw
    I use this:

And I like it a lot. It ends up serving much the same function as wrestling headgear, which is protecting me from the horrors of cauliflower ear and giving me something to tuck my hair under.
    It also Cuts down on the potential damage of accidental (or, in some cases, intentional :P) headbutts.
    Are you really fitting your mop in there comfortably ? And you can grapple in it ?

Sounds too good to be true ,

I want to grow my hair back out I just realized it is Combat Sports ... god they make good **** .
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Nuke a unborn gay whale for Christ.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

POWERRR!

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 8:42am

Join us... or die
     Style: Boxing.MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by recourse
    I'm ordering headgear right now. At my gym there's a rule of no head kicks if the person isn't wearing headgear.
    It's a sensible rule but it pisses me off cos at my gym some people don't wear it because they don't want to get kicked in the head. it stops us working on things we want to improve and means they are unprepared in teh ring
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast