Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:48pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
    Wasn't there a connection between Bruce Lee & Jhoon Rhee?
    There was, as well as Chuck Norris (who was Mudeukgwan & got his high kicks from there, not Choi's Odogwan.)

Both Norris & Rhee state they taught Lee his kicks. I'm willing concede they may have gave him pointers & influenced his technique, but Lee had a background in Long Fist & Northern Mantis, both of which are known for their high kicking techniques.:5yinyang:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:59pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander108 View Post
    There was, as well as Chuck Norris (who was Mudeukgwan & got his high kicks from there, not Choi's Odogwan.)

Both Norris & Rhee state they taught Lee his kicks. I'm willing concede they may have gave him pointers & influenced his technique, but Lee had a background in Long Fist & Northern Mantis, both of which are known for their high kicking techniques.:5yinyang:
    Interesting, never knew Lee knew any other Kung Fu other than Wing Chun.

Thank you, that was very informative.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 4:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by whatever123 View Post
    Interesting, never knew Lee knew any other Kung Fu other than Wing Chun.

Thank you, that was very informative.
    Lee was known for working with a lot of different martial artists to learn their techniques and incorporate what he liked into his own arsenal.

Lee and Rhee were very good friends as were Lee and Norris. So yes I am sure he improved his kicking skills with them, but to say Choi's TKD was what gave Lee his kicking ability is just an outward lie, same with saying that it gave Norris his knowledge in kicking.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 4:47pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Migukclaus View Post
    See I don't like the excuse authors use about their marketing group and "poetic liscense". It's just a technical term for lying and misrepresentation. The author should have seen that and corrected it.

Anyway, if Santa checks his list and sees that I'm a good boy...ok...well sees that I'm not as bad as usual, I am hoping to score some really good Korean history books along with this one. (Told you I would never buy it myself, but would not refuse it as a gift. :icon_chee ). With that and some other items I am hoping to score I am looking to do some indepth research on this and some KKW items. (I'm an equal opportunity skeptic)
    Well, if you read what the link has,
    http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...?cookieCheck=1
    post it does not say what was what was posted here. It does not say General Choi and Kim Un Yong were at the same poker game, it only lists them seperately as being importannt figures. With regard to Chuck Norris learning TKD, his very own book (i think his last one refers to hsi history with TKD so it's reasoneable for someone to take him at his word for this generalization.

So, there was nothing for the author to correct in this very gneral statement.

Posted On:
    12/13/2010 5:05pm

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss View Post
    With regard to Chuck Norris learning TKD, his very own book (i think his last one refers to hsi history with TKD so it's reasoneable for someone to take him at his word for this generalization.
    Chuck saying he learned Taekwondo doesn't mean you can thank General Choi for that.

The entire book was a generalization attempting to polarize the entire history of TKD into the Choi/Kim dichotomy.:XXspam:

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 9:07am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi108 View Post
    Chuck saying he learned Taekwondo doesn't mean you can thank General Choi for that.

The entire book was a generalization attempting to polarize the entire history of TKD into the Choi/Kim dichotomy.:XXspam:
    I received my copy yesterday, though I am not allowed to open it until Christmas. Which is fine since I have 4 different history books to start on anyway. Trust me when I say that I will read it with an open mind, but will be questioning everything I read and doing research on it.

This will be like going over Race Bannon's book a few years back. We were so close to busting him but someone else beat us to it.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 11:42am

supporting memberstaff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Migukclaus View Post
    I received my copy yesterday, though I am not allowed to open it until Christmas. Which is fine since I have 4 different history books to start on anyway. Trust me when I say that I will read it with an open mind, but will be questioning everything I read and doing research on it.

This will be like going over Race Bannon's book a few years back. We were so close to busting him but someone else beat us to it.
    Don't get me wrong, I think the book has a lot of great history in it...it just tries to shoe-horn things one way or the other.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/14/2010 3:44pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't get me wrong, I think the book has a lot of great history in it...it just tries to shoe-horn things one way or the other.
    Race Bannon's Race Against Evil had some great history moments too...but the role he played in them was false. It was a good book...would make for a good movie. Perhaps this will too. ;)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/15/2010 7:59am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

:
    The book doesn't say that. The marketing snippet doesn't say that although I see how it could mislead some to that conclusion simply because both names happened to be mentioned in close proximity to each other.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/16/2010 9:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss View Post
    The book doesn't say that. The marketing snippet doesn't say that although I see how it could mislead some to that conclusion simply because both names happened to be mentioned in close proximity to each other.
    Actually the marketing snippet says
    Quote Originally Posted by marketing bs
    The techniques cut across all realms-from the late 1960s when tae kwon do-trained Korean CIA agents kidnapped people in the U.S. and Europe, to the 1970s when Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and other Hollywood stars master the art's new kicks.
    It mentions that they masters the ART'S new kicks...ART being Choi's TKD.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 10 LastLast