Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2010 10:47pm

Style: The Way of Hand and Foot

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn man, and I thought I had it bad when I fucked up my knuckles after punching my friend during an advanced sparring class.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    6/08/2010 5:01pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Traditional TKD, BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This seems interesting. I have read several books, so some of it will be repetitious but that's ok.

Thanks

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/23/2010 3:10pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Killing Art
    In 1938, tae kwon do began at the end of a poker game in a tiny village in a remote corner of what is now North Korea by Choi Hong-Hi, who began the martial art, and his nemesis, Kim Un-Yong...
    Yes, I know..another necroscrew, but rereading this thread, I found something that didn't make sense. The date highlighted above throws up two interesting question.

The first question is why was Choi, who would have been 20 at the time, playing poker with Kim, who would have been 7 at the time?

Second question: How did Choi play poker in Korea when, as it is told in his own biography, he was in Japan? (note: His biography notes that he was sent to Japan in 1937).

I am going to order the book, finally. I need to compare its info to another project I am working on. After I read it, I will give a full review of findings.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 8:39am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Killing Art
    In 1938, tae kwon do began at the end of a poker game in a tiny village in a remote corner of what is now North Korea by Choi Hong-Hi, who began the martial art, and his nemesis, Kim Un-Yong...

Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram View Post
    Yes, I know..another necroscrew, but rereading this thread, I found something that didn't make sense. The date highlighted above throws up two interesting question.

The first question is why was Choi, who would have been 20 at the time, playing poker with Kim, who would have been 7 at the time?

Second question: How did Choi play poker in Korea when, as it is told in his own biography, he was in Japan? (note: His biography notes that he was sent to Japan in 1937).

Where was this posted? Reviewing the book, and bio the quoted item looks like it may have been excerpts from different things run together.

i could not find anything in either book about Kim Un-Young being at the Poker Game.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/01/2010 9:00am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss View Post

Where was this posted? Reviewing the book, and bio the quoted item looks like it may have been excerpts from different things run together.

i could not find anything in either book about Kim Un-Young being at the Poker Game.
    I'll have to try and find where I got that original quote as it was back in 2008. It was a direct quote from a posting I saw on the book. This is what stuck in the back in my mind for some reason until it dawned on me about the date and the people involved.

However:
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex
    After a surreal opening scene with some of the martial art's elderly founders in 2001, the book flashes back to a poker game in a remote Korean village in 1938. A fight breaks out during the game and one of the men – the future "Father of Tae Kwon Do" – flees for his life to Japan, where he begins hardcore Karate training.
    This is in direct conflict with Choi's on autobiography. Where Choi claims that his parents sent him to Japan for school and it was in 1937 when that happened. Even then he did not begin Karate directly after arrival.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Found one spot that contained that quote. It is on MartialTalk, A Killing Art: The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do - MartialTalk.Com. It is the first thread. Also here: http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/...?cookieCheck=1
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 4:29pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The techniques cut across all realms-from the late 1960s when tae kwon do-trained Korean CIA agents kidnapped people in the U.S. and Europe, to the 1970s when Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and other Hollywood stars master the art's new kicks.
    Come on...Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris got their kicks from Choi? Seriously?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2010 5:59pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Although it lists the title and By: Author, I think those links are to marketing blurbs put out by the Seller. They are not direct quotes from the book as far as I could find.

Have not checked the dates as set forth in book per your questioned items.

I have some minor issues with some of the books contents but I really can't fault the author if some distributor takes poetic license with the facts. i.e Chuck Norris learning the techniques.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 9:16am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss View Post
    Although it lists the title and By: Author, I think those links are to marketing blurbs put out by the Seller. They are not direct quotes from the book as far as I could find.

Have not checked the dates as set forth in book per your questioned items.

I have some minor issues with some of the books contents but I really can't fault the author if some distributor takes poetic license with the facts. i.e Chuck Norris learning the techniques.
    See I don't like the excuse authors use about their marketing group and "poetic liscense". It's just a technical term for lying and misrepresentation. The author should have seen that and corrected it.

Anyway, if Santa checks his list and sees that I'm a good boy...ok...well sees that I'm not as bad as usual, I am hoping to score some really good Korean history books along with this one. (Told you I would never buy it myself, but would not refuse it as a gift. :icon_chee ). With that and some other items I am hoping to score I am looking to do some indepth research on this and some KKW items. (I'm an equal opportunity skeptic)
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/03/2010 3:05pm

Style: KK TKD GJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Migukclaus View Post
    Come on...Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris got their kicks from Choi? Seriously?
    Wasn't there a connection between Bruce Lee & Jhoon Rhee?
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 910 LastLast