Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 1:45pm

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by TNMP
    called gisaeng (기생), not exactly the same as geisha, but more similar than other occupations
    Ah, thanks! I just checken wiki, and if what it says is true, they were not inspired by the geisha, but their origins are actually korean. Feels a bit wrong calling them Korean geishas, but that's probably just me.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/13/2008 9:54pm

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fodland
    Jesus Christ, I just read the interview and it was filled with so much crap I didn't actually think it possible.
    Have any here read the book? If yes, is the book more effed up than the interview?

Also:

Were there geishas in Korea at that time?
    I read the book and found what I consider to be minor errors in the whole scheme of things. He has 481 footnotes to corroborate the contents so he has made a good effort to provide what he feels to be an accurate account.

He seems to b equal with both the praise and criticism for General Choi and Kin Un-young.

There wer not a lot of huge surprises since I lived through a lot of the stuff relating to the 1970's and after that. However, the nature and extent of political pressures brought to bear exceeded what I thought existed.

To some extent I think the interview was partly a marketing job to get people interested in buying the book.

He Young Kimm is due to com out with one shorlty it HSould be interesting to compare the two.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 2:18am

Style: BJJ, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Earl Weiss
    I read the book and found what I consider to be minor errors in the whole scheme of things. He has 481 footnotes to corroborate the contents so he has made a good effort to provide what he feels to be an accurate account.

He seems to b equal with both the praise and criticism for General Choi and Kin Un-young.

There wer not a lot of huge surprises since I lived through a lot of the stuff relating to the 1970's and after that. However, the nature and extent of political pressures brought to bear exceeded what I thought existed.

To some extent I think the interview was partly a marketing job to get people interested in buying the book.

He Young Kimm is due to com out with one shorlty it HSould be interesting to compare the two.
    Ah, ok thanks...
    481 footnotes? I haven't touched the books in years, but I think that is around the same amount of footnotes as Sanguo yanyi has...

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/14/2008 10:00am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If any WTF / Kukkki TKD people read the book, I would be interested in their feedback.
    Send me a copy and I will read it in between bowel movements. Else, not going to spend the money on it.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2008 12:36pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree. The references to "steroids" and the "CIA" were just marketing ploys. I think he tries for the most part to use terms that the average person will understand. Such as "Korean CIA" instead of the real name for it. He also uses geisha and gisaeng interchangeably as most people are probably more familiar with the word geisha.

I just started reading it yesterday and made it through the first three chapters. So far it's just the life history of General Choi, but with much more detail than you'll hear anywhere else. I don't think he is just a Choi nuthugger though because he has a few stories regarding a General Choi seminar that he went to and overall I think he was really disappointed in the General's behavior. It looks like the author has quite a bit of training in ITF and Kukki TKD as well.

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 11:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BENXPX
    I think he tries for the most part to use terms that the average person will understand. Such as "Korean CIA" instead of the real name for it. He also uses geisha and gisaeng interchangeably as most people are probably more familiar with the word geisha.
    Hi everyone,

You're right about the terms. I wrote A Killing Art so that the average person would understand it. "Korean CIA" stands for "Korean Central Intelligence Agency," as you probably know, and all my facts about TKD's involvement with South Korea's KCIA and North Korea's secret service is backed by sources.

I tried my best to keep out all BS thrown my way, and the book is 100% nonfiction. Mr. Weiss (and others), I appreciate your comments. I only understood the nature and extent of the political pressures and crime in Tae Kwon Do (and Taekwon-Do and Taekwondo) after putting together facts from hundreds of sources. The brutal secret service missions and the gangsterism involving TKD was eye-opening, and these weren't only small-time spooks and crooks. Some very high-ranking men were involved in long-term, illegal and wicked operations. I estimate that my book gets into only a tiny fraction of what went on between 1961 and 2004.

Anyway, I'm glad you got something out of the book. I worked on it for seven years, and I'm hoping that it encourages masters and grandmasters to go public with what they know. More of them will write about the true history, I hope.

Alex
    akillingart.com

Posted On:
    12/15/2008 10:23am

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for dropping a line. I know I tried to place an order, but ended up post phoning till after christmas. (how can a man get his hands on a signed copy?)

You interviewed and talked to some Masters and GM, do you really think that some potentially illuminating information will start to flow from these guys...or will they take their secrets to the grave...to save face and such.

Do you see another book in the works?

KO'd DOA

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 3:22pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Grandmasters talking about TKD's history

Hi KO'd,

I do think that masters and grandmasters will write and speak more. In the ITF, Grandmaster C. K. Choi pubished a good, short history book last year. GM Nam Tae-Hi has increasingly spoken to journalists over the years. In the WTF, folks are getting more vocal, especially as things get sorted out in the U.S. after the Olympics this year.

My book, A Killing Art, is available at Amazon.com and many book stores now, finally. As you and I are both in Canada, I can send you a signed copy if you email me offline.

Thanks,

Alex
    akillingart.com

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 3:38pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am curious as to which GM's you spoke too and their affiliation. Also, I assume you speak fluent Korean, so how was it that you were able to get KCIA or any Korean for that matter to speak to you about their stories in the first place?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/17/2008 4:59pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was just looking through the bibliography of this book and it says, "Talbott, Jeremy M. "Won-Kuk Lee: A 'Living National Treasure' of Korea." So.... it looks like he used you as a source, LOL.
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast