Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 11:28am

Style: TKD & JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

"A Killing Art"

"A Killing Art: The Untold History of Tae Kwon Do" is a new book coming out.

Some brief info here: http://www.openbooktoronto.com/news/..._alex_gillis_1

He claims to have done his research and apparently cites numerous sources. I also understand he has dug up a lot of photos to support some previously unsubstantiated claims.

For those interested in this type of thing I have heard from one person that it makes a good read. Have not rec'd my copy yet.

Posted On:
    11/04/2008 12:04pm

Style: Judo Sandbagger

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered it.

I heard about this book a ways back. But I reserve the right to believe TKD is thousands of years old, even if the evidence tips the balance the other way! But secret agents! Pleaze...honor is one of the tenents of TKD...

From the authors interview, he looked to corroborate the evidence from sources and interviews. It might just be required reading for this forum.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 2:13pm

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I already commented on this on another list, but I wouldn't spend a f'n penny to purchase a book that is pretty much bs propaganda. It's James Bond meets Race Against Evil. I would rather buy the last Harry Potter book since it has more truth in it.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 2:23pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    American, why do you give the book that critique?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/05/2008 3:09pm

Style: Hammer Fisting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder if the author is scared of Taekwondo assassins coming to kill him.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2008 12:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    I already commented on this on another list, but I wouldn't spend a f'n penny to purchase a book that is pretty much bs propaganda. It's James Bond meets Race Against Evil. I would rather buy the last Harry Potter book since it has more truth in it.

Please advise as to the reason for your comment. Just started reading it and I think you are one of the cited sources. Did the guy do something to piss you off?

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obscure documents, Korean-language books, and in-depth interviews with tae kwon do pioneers tell the tale of the origin of the most popular martial art. In 1938, tae kwon do began at the end of a poker game in a tiny village in a remote corner of what is now North Korea by Choi Hong-Hi, who began the martial art, and his nemesis, Kim Un-Yong, who developed the Olympic style and became one of the most powerful, controversial men in sports. The story follows Choi from the 1938 poker game where he fought for his life, through high-class geisha houses where the art was named, and into the Vietnam War where the martial art evolved into a killing art. The techniques cut across all realms—from the late 1960s when tae kwon do-trained Korean CIA agents kidnapped people in the U.S. and Europe, to the 1970s when Bruce Lee, Chuck Norris, and other Hollywood stars master the art’s new kicks. Tae kwon do is also a martial art for the 21st century, one of merciless techniques, indomitable men, and justice pumped on steroids.
    This beginning already reaks of BS. He goes on in an interview talking about how he talked to TKD assasins and spoke with CIA officials, who naturally wished to remain anymonus. I mean after all CIA people talk to everyone who wants to write a book about their corruption.

If he cited me as a source, then I want my residuals. :) I have never spoken with the man nor do I know anything about him, nor do I wish to. Keep in mind if this was a KKW guy writing a book about how TKD was 2000 year old killing art kept secret for many years. I would feel the same way.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 10:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Waitwhat?!?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 10:21am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, FWIW (since I have started it.) Some are not mentioned by name. But they are few and far between when compared to the several hundred footnotes listing sources as well as photos, and a bibliography which certainly runs into the dozens if not hundreds. Also, the 2000 year old thing is skewered pretty good in the book. So far, not a lot is a huge surprise, but there is a lot more detail about what I have learned previosly, and his info on Nam Tae Hi, much of it non published as far as I know jibes quite well with info I learned during conversations with Nam.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/07/2008 10:25am

supporting member
     Style: Kyokushinkai / Kajukenbo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by miguksaram
    this is from the site:
    The art has always espoused high ideals and fought violence with violence, but from 1955 to the present, the art's founders did their best to hide the painful truths about their art's history of secret-service agents, Korean gangsters, espionage missions and cheating in the Olympics.

THIS is bs? Sounds like an honest statement.

And from the NY Times:
    The Japanese police say they have 13 cases of Japanese citizens who are presumed to have been abducted to North Korea. At a human rights conference here last month, advocates said they knew of 73 cases.
    Last edited by patfromlogan; 11/07/2008 10:28am at .
    "Preparing mentally, the most important thing is, if you aren't doing it for the love of it, then don't do it." - Benny Urquidez
Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast